• 3.8.x

This should be good.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	images.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	9.1 KB
ID:	3681065
    ...steven
    www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
    bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
    "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

Comment

• steven s
      • Jul 2004
      • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Aquazelf
      Well, I can't 100% prove that all the features were stolen but they always launch new features very soon after someone announces them in new software
      What new software? vBulletin?

The latest thing to be announced was the iphone app. I don't see any mention of that on XenForo.
      Maybe you should take this to the appropriate forum?
      Internet Brands claims against Xenforo
      ...steven

Comment

• Ace
        • Apr 2004
        • 4.2.X

Well, I can't 100% prove that all the features were stolen but they always launch new features very soon after someone announces them in new software
        Are you sure you're talking about the same thing the rest of us are? XF has been around all of 6 months, how can they 'always' do anything?
        My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
        vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

• Aquazelf
          • Sep 2009
          • 3.8.x

There are probably many new forum software packages being announcements all the time, some are just not as well known as others, and many of those don't make it through to being finished but others do

There are also many forum software packages that people don't know about because they're not as good as the others (or haven't been advertised well), but they still exist

@Ace: In the past I came across many groups that have just been around for about half a month and get accused of "always" doing something

Comment

• steven s
            • Jul 2004
            • 3.8.x

There are probably many new forum software packages being announcements all the time, some are just not as well known as others, and many of those don't make it through to being finished but others do

There are also many forum software packages that people don't know about because they're not as good as the others (or haven't been advertised well), but they still exist
            Can you name ONE?
            If people don't know about them, how do you know they exist?

I can't believe I'm getting sucked into this meaningless portion of this thread.
            ...steven

Comment

• Aquazelf
              • Sep 2009
              • 3.8.x

I said not many people know about them, I didn't say nobody knows about them

Anyway, I'm just going to stop discussing this

Why discuss the pros of XenForo here? I'll tell you why not to... because this is the vBulletin forums
              Why not also discuss the pros of IPB, phpBB, MyBB, SMF and other forum software?

Here are a few (and I'm just saying not many people know about them, you may have easily heard of them):
              - MiniBB
              - Vanilla
              - Phorum
              - bbPress
              - Ninja Post
              - Woltlab's Burning Board

There is also forum software even less known than them but I don't know a lot of them

Comment

• steven s
                • Jul 2004
                • 3.8.x

I said not many people know about them, I didn't say nobody knows about them

Anyway, I'm just going to stop discussing this

Why discuss the pros of XenForo here? I'll tell you why not to... because this is the vBulletin forums
                Why not also discuss the pros of IPB, phpBB, MyBB, SMF and other forum software?
                I don't think anyone has ever been stopped for discussing the pros and cons of any software as long as it's been done in a civil manner and in the appropriate section.
                ...steven

Comment

• Leadcrow
                  • Oct 2010

That means that without any proof of ownership or correctness of claims, I'd be willing to sell you a few bridges and maybe throw in a few airports if price is alright.
                  Idea concepts are nothing unique, and nothing that gets 'stolen'. If anything, it's script systems playing catchup who might engage in idea snatching (and even then its not considered stealing, maybe at most recognizing good concepts and adding them for your customers).
                  Local example, the vb sidebar and iphone app.

With jelsoft's previously solid reputation, it's nothing unusual that statements from the mothership get believed at face value. Why believe differently after all?

Comment

• Private_Ale
                    • Nov 2007
                    • 3.8.x

Do you know what I find amusing?

All of these people that badmouth vBulletin and praise xF (in this and other threads) are doing so on vB's forum. So in my mind, vBulletin must be doing something right, or all of these haters would just make like a rat on a sinking ship and shove off.

Perhaps they bash vB because they are insecure about their recent decision(s). Like after a bad breakup, they come back just looking for a reason to justify their actions, sadly of which, they have a minimal chance of finding.

pa

Comment

• steven s
                      • Jul 2004
                      • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Private_Ale
                      Like after a bad breakup, they come back just looking for a reason to justify their actions, sadly of which, they have a minimal chance of finding.
                      Thanks. I was wondering why I was still here.
                      Guess it has nothing to do with the fact that I have 3 licenses and 2 active vB forums. Besides, I have every right to be here as any other licensed owner does.
                      I'm still concerned about my vB forums and am not ready to convert them yet. The other forum software doesn't fulfill my needs at this time.
                      ...steven

Comment

• Shamil.
                        • Feb 2008
                        • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Private_Ale
                        Do you know what I find amusing?

All of these people that badmouth vBulletin and praise xF (in this and other threads) are doing so on vB's forum. So in my mind, vBulletin must be doing something right, or all of these haters would just make like a rat on a sinking ship and shove off.

Perhaps they bash vB because they are insecure about their recent decision(s). Like after a bad breakup, they come back just looking for a reason to justify their actions, sadly of which, they have a minimal chance of finding.

pa
                        Perhaps they care about the product. I am still forced to use vBulletin on a few of my sites. I don't have any intention to move them off vBulletin - I just want vBulletin to still be here in 10 years time.
                        Shamil Nunhuck, - Radon Systems Ltd.
                        VPS + Dedicated Server Hosting and Management
                        vBulletin Hosting and Services
                        Server / Website Consultation

Comment

• MRGTB
                          • May 2005

How? I'm just saying what's true, that XF copies off ideas from announcements about the release of new software
                          Let's face it, they all copy ideas from each other. No offence, but the amount of new features I've seen IPB release that members just before it was ranting away for to be added in vBulletin. Hmm, come on!

It's nothing new for the competition to be looking to get the edge on the others. That's life! Even if it means coming searching the competition forums for them. Even if xenForo have done it, makes it no different from the rest. Seriously, don't be that naive.

But here's something to think about then. Kier Darby was also top dog here before. So does that mean vBulletin did the same also with Kier in charge back then, as he does now with XenForo? Two edged sword there me thinks!
                          Last edited by MRGTB; Sun 9 Jan '11, 9:05am.

Comment

• Ryan Ashbrook
                            • May 2003

Originally posted by MRGTB
                            But here's something to think about then. Kier Darby was also top dog here before. So does that mean vBulletin did the same also with Kier in charge back then, as he does now with XenForo?
                            Duh.

No single software on the market today can make the claim that they did not add a single feature that they found in a competing software.

vBulletin itself was founded on that principle, as a PHP and MySQL copy of UBB.
                            Ryan Ashbrook - My Blog - My Twitter

Comment

• MRGTB
                              • May 2005

Originally posted by Ryan Ashbrook
                              Duh.

No single software on the market today can make the claim that they did not add a single feature that they found in a competing software.
                              Duh!

Which was my point entirely.

Comment

• bigwater
                                • Jan 2007

Should Ford sue Chevrolet for stealing the idea of building a car? Intermittant wipers, cruise control, heated seats, power windows, remote door locks. Somebody came up with idea first, and everybody else followed suite. You can't fault a car manufacter for taking concepts from the competition and incorporating those features into their own products. Where the issue arises is when the intellectual property in the way the technology is implemented is infringed on.

So truth be known, there are probably as many ideas implemented in vB that were brainstormed after seeing an inferior implimentation or a third party add on as there are common ideas in XF.
                                Anybody who says "it can't be done" will usually be interrupted by somebody who is already doing it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...