Your first pc?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MRGTB
    • May 2005

Oh my gawd - "Tandy" computers. I once purchased a Tandy computer, biggest load of junk I even spent money on. No wonder they went bust soon after.

Comment

• steven s
      • Jul 2004
      • 3.8.x

I know there was a similar thread not long ago, anyway. . .
      My 1st
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Atari_800_Alone.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	3680958
      And 2nd

Name:	images2.jpg
Size:	5.9 KB
ID:	3680957
      3rd (I think)

Name:	snap1.jpg
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	3680959
      ...steven
      www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
      bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
      "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

Comment

• rajubd
        • Apr 2009
        • 4.1.x

intel p3 512mhz ram 128 in 2000
        os win98
        MobilePhoneTalk.Com - Mobile Phone Community Powered By EuroVPS.Com

Comment

• Paul M
          Former Lead Developer
          vB.Com & vB.Org
          • Sep 2004

My first PC was an Apple II.

Then several BBC varieties (BBC B, BBC Master 128, Acorn, RISC PC)

Eventually I got an Intel based PC (Celeron 400 Mhz) running Windows 95, and then Window 98.
          Baby, I was born this way

Comment

• UncleMike
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MRGTB
            Oh my gawd - "Tandy" computers. I once purchased a Tandy computer, biggest load of junk I even spent money on. No wonder they went bust soon after.
            Yup!
            But at the time, in the early 80's, they were technologically on par with IBM machines and noticeably less expensive.
            Although $800.00 USD at that time was quite a bit of change.
            Come to think of it.
            It's still quite a bit of change!

Comment

• beishe8
              • Oct 2005
              • 4.2.X

Originally posted by UncleMike
              It's amazing how prices have dropped and features have gone up over the years.
              Having a 386 with a 40 MB harddisk and 1MB memory,I was shocked to hear from my friend that he bought a 486 with 2 MB memory and a 200 MB harddisk.
              What the hell to do with that huge harddisk and 2MB memory?

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• socceronly
                • Nov 2009
                • 3.8.x

Commodore 64.

Owns all yah beotches.
                Hmmm. Cheese.

Comment

• bigwater
                  • Jan 2007

Mine was the first "portable" computer... an original IBM 5155 PC/XT with 256KB of RAM and two 5-1/4" 360KB floppy drives. I decided on this unit because I was starting up an industrial automation business and needed something powerful and easily transported to customer sites.

It cost me over $4000.00 at the time. It had a keyboard that snapped closed to cover the front where the screen and floppy drives were, and was truly portable in the fact that it had a fold out handle so you could carry it like a suitcase. Never mind the fact that it was as big as a suitcase and weighed close to fifty pounds... it was portable.

Soon the software that I was developing started to exceed the memory capacities of the machine, so I shelled out another $2000 or so to bump it from 256K to it's maximum of 640K. Man... I had a boss hog machine at that point, until the files I were trying to save exceeded the capacity of the floppy disk drive. At that point I bought my first hard drive. It was 10MB and it cost me another $2000.00 or so. At that point I had to move from CP/M to DOS, because CP/M didn't understand hard drives. I'll never forget my first experience with FDISK and trying to get that hard drive working... but once I got it working I *definitatly* had the baddest machine anybody could own at the time. That was around 1985.

To think that I invested around $8000.00 dollars back then on a machine that today would be less powerful than one of those $20 throw away phones that you can buy at Wal-Mart sort of boggles the mind.
                  Last edited by bigwater; Sun 19 Dec '10, 12:38am.
                  Anybody who says "it can't be done" will usually be interrupted by somebody who is already doing it.

Comment

• BulletinBlueSky
                    • Dec 2010

Ah the memories...I believe my first computer was an Amiga. Actually it was mine and my brother's. It still had a game cassette player. No disks! Haha. Then it was Commodore 64, then Atari. For the first PC, Im not sure. But I believe it was a very basic Pentium with Windows 3.1.1, given to me by my dad. 56K Modem and AOL was my world!

Comment

• steven s
                      • Jul 2004
                      • 3.8.x

Originally posted by UncleMike
                      Yup!
                      But at the time, in the early 80's, they were technologically on par with IBM machines and noticeably less expensive.
                      Although $800.00 USD at that time was quite a bit of change.
                      Come to think of it.
                      It's still quite a bit of change!
                      My Mac SE/30 was $3200.
                      ...steven
                      www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
                      bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
                      "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
                        vBulletin Support
                        • Aug 2002
                        • 5.7.X

Originally posted by BulletinBlueSky
                        Ah the memories...I believe my first computer was an Amiga. Actually it was mine and my brother's. It still had a game cassette player. No disks! Haha. Then it was Commodore 64, then Atari. For the first PC, Im not sure. But I believe it was a very basic Pentium with Windows 3.1.1, given to me by my dad. 56K Modem and AOL was my world!
                        You went from the Amiga to the 64!?
                        Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
                        - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...