Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Riasat
    • Aug 2006

Originally posted by Zachery
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]50816[/ATTACH] Weird, because I am using IE9.
    we already had a chat about this

Anyone wanting spell checker, use the one that comes with your browser.

If you are on IE, click the special spell checker button (only available to IE).
    It will send you to IESpell (free) webpage. Download -> install.

Now you can spell check with either this button or the button in command bar or right click.
    Works perfectly on IE9RC.

Comment

• beishe8
      • Oct 2005
      • 4.2.X

Originally posted by CvP
      Anyone wanting spell checker, use the one that comes with your browser.
      There isn't such thing for IE.

If you are on IE, click the special spell checker button (only available to
      IE).
      It will send you to IESpell (free) webpage. Download -> install.
      Provided your user has permission to do this.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• Zachery
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Jul 2002

I'm sorry, i really don't see the added benefit of using a something like spellchecker.net (or whatever the site is) to do spell checking for only one browser when alternatives are available. You have to send the data to a third party server, which shows ads to your users.

Comment

• dilbert
          • Oct 2004

Originally posted by Zachery
          I'm sorry, i really don't see the added benefit of using a something like spellchecker.net (or whatever the site is) to do spell checking for only one browser when alternatives are available. You have to send the data to a third party server, which shows ads to your users.
          The benefit is a standard list of words for the community.
          Maybe I can type the word immunohematology and get the red squiggly in FF and choose to add it to my dictionary, but everyone would need to do that. If the community as a whole had the ability to add to the dictionary, it would help all.
          Clearly this has is drawbacks too - people could add misspelled words.
          Cliff
          PathLabTalk
          Square Wheels Cycling

Comment

• melbo
            • Apr 2005
            • 3.8.x

Maybe IB could offer a costly, third party, core, affiliate spellchecker for you IE folks who are clamoring about a problem that users of Chrome, Safari and FF don't even realize exists?

My comments in this thread are purely tongue in cheek. I don't think any features like this should be added to the core of the software.

Comment

• Shamil.
              • Feb 2008
              • 4.2.X

Originally posted by melbo
              Maybe IB could offer a costly, third party, core, affiliate spellchecker for you IE folks who are clamoring about a problem that users of Chrome, Safari and FF don't even realize exists?

My comments in this thread are purely tongue in cheek. I don't think any features like this should be added to the core of the software.
              It's not my fault, or IB's fault or Microsoft's fault that some people cannot spell correctly.
              Shamil Nunhuck, - Radon Systems Ltd.
              VPS + Dedicated Server Hosting and Management
              vBulletin Hosting and Services
              Server / Website Consultation

Comment

• melbo
                • Apr 2005
                • 3.8.x

Which has kinda been my point all along. I don't think vB should have to add this into it's core.

Comment

• beishe8
                  • Oct 2005
                  • 4.2.X

Earlier I wrote:
                  Originally posted by beishe8
                  Google toolbar for IE has a good checker called "Check",the only problem with it is that it still does not work with vB4.
                  What a pleasant surprise: it works with the current version of vB4 here on this forum.
                  It might reduce the demand for an inbuilt spellchecker because it's is widely used.
                  (I'm using ATM IE 9)

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• rootsxrocks
                    • Aug 2009
                    • 4.2.X

Originally posted by beishe8
                    Google toolbar for IE has a good checker called "Check",the only problem with it is that it still does not work with vB4.
                    Agreed, the Editor switch was a good temporary work around but not adiquate.
                    Originally posted by eJM
                    IE Spell has been around for quite a while now. It works in all forms and all websites that I have used it on in the last several years. I agree that a browser should have the spell checker, not the individual website or web application. ieSpell - A Spell Checker for Internet Explorer
                    Don't like it, In fact I really dislike it As it is not adiquate fur my Ignorance and wild guesses at spelling sometimes.

I think a topic specific spell checker would be great but I also think it belongs in the private developers hands. As does plug ins for ads and spam links.
                    Core functions like Email and Cross platform compatibility are the things that should be included with the suite.

Originally posted by ArboristSite
                    I would say VB should start listening to their users. You have to understand people don't understand internet software just like you. They want it. Read this post!!! I know it's couple now....wait a while and people will ask for it. Heck I don't even use a browser spell check and didn't know it was available. The attitude around here has certainly changed.
                    http://www.arboristsite.com/off-topi...tm#post2690322
                    LOL AS your members are pretty damn smart But how hard ids it to spell WTF.
                    Designing Your Forum Around The Members Lifestyle becoming A Valuable Asset To The Community With VB Before Trying To Make A Buck.

Comment

• stelalouis
                      • Mar 2011
                      • 4.1.x

yes , I also used spell checker and like its features

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...