X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • michael.
    • Dec 2010
    • 4.0.x

spellchecker

Apart from plug ins, I was wondering why there is not a spell checker incorporated within the software, I know smf and bb does include 1, and felt as vbullitin is the market leader it should have 1 as standard.
  • Loco.M
    • Mar 2005
    • 3.5.x

There are several plugins, vb itself doesn't need a spell checker IMO
    not to mention that toolbar addons..
    -- Web Developer for hire
    ---Online Marketing Tools and Articles

Comment

• michael.
      • Dec 2010
      • 4.0.x

I think it does, The amount of badly written posts in forums suggests a lot of people cannot spell, ( me included LOL) a basic spell checker would be useful I feel.

Comment

• Zachery
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Jul 2002

Firefox, Safari, OSX itself and I believe other linux installs can have system wide spell checkers. IE has a plugin called IE spell. A system/browser spell checker is far better than something than we could incorperate into the software.

Comment

• michael.
          • Dec 2010
          • 4.0.x

OK thanks very much.

Comment

• beishe8
            • Oct 2005
            • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Zachery
            Firefox, Safari, OSX itself and I believe other linux installs can have system wide spell checkers. IE has a plugin called IE spell. A system/browser spell checker is far better than something than we could incorperate into the software.
            Google toolbar for IE has a good checker called "Check",the only problem with it is that it still does not work with vB4.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• eJM
              • Sep 2004
              • 3.8.x

IE Spell has been around for quite a while now. It works in all forms and all websites that I have used it on in the last several years. I agree that a browser should have the spell checker, not the individual website or web application. ieSpell - A Spell Checker for Internet Explorer
              If my post was helpful to you, please take the time to register at my forum and ask a question you've always wanted to know about floors.
              www.TheFloorPro.com

Comment

• DannyCutts
                • Oct 2010
                • 4.0.x

I still think it needs to be in the site... if a freebie scripts can put one in that is adequate I am not sure why its left out... I cant find a plugin for it either

Danny

Comment

• Zachery
                  Former vBulletin Support
                  • Jul 2002

Why would you want your users to have a site based spell check, when having a browser/system spell check is 1000x better for them?

Comment

• Ryan Ashbrook
                    • May 2003

Originally posted by DannyCutts
                    I still think it needs to be in the site... if a freebie scripts can put one in that is adequate I am not sure why its left out... I cant find a plugin for it either

Danny
                    Why would you want your users to have a site based spell check, when having a browser/system spell check is 1000x better for them?
                    Additionally, most browsers have it by default. So a plugin would be useless for a good portion of internet users anyway.
                    Ryan Ashbrook - My Blog - My Twitter

Comment

• Super Cat
                      • Jan 2005
                      • 4.2.X

Originally posted by daksmak
                      Exactly, since most people are too lazy to spell or talk properly, why not have a spell checker? That way they can be reminded and have no excuse to spell properly. I'm not saying I go around correcting everything but please people, show some care every now and then. Oh and let's not start on grammar.....
                      I need it badly. The grammar checker, not the spell checker.

I practice witchcraft so I don't need anyone checking my spells.

Comment

• ArboristSite
                        • Dec 2001

I would say VB should start listening to their users. You have to understand people don't understand internet software just like you. They want it. Read this post!!! I know it's couple now....wait a while and people will ask for it. Heck I don't even use a browser spell check and didn't know it was available. The attitude around here has certainly changed.

Comment

• Zachery
                          Former vBulletin Support
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ArboristSite
                          I would say VB should start listening to their users. You have to understand people don't understand internet software just like you. They want it. Read this post!!! I know it's couple now....wait a while and people will ask for it. Heck I don't even use a browser spell check and didn't know it was available. The attitude around here has certainly changed.
                          http://www.arboristsite.com/off-topi...tm#post2690322
                          Actually that is the same position we've taken in the software on the subject for a long time, even pre-internet brands.

Comment

• dilbert
                            • Oct 2004

I think this would be good for sites that have specific vocabulary, like medical and legal sites. I like the Firefox spell checker, but many words I use for work aren't in the list.
                            Cliff
                            PathLabTalk
                            Square Wheels Cycling

Comment

• eJM
                              • Sep 2004
                              • 3.8.x

vBulletin certainly doesn't need me to come to their defense, but this is such a ridiculous idea that I just have to say something. It is the browser that is responsible for bringing content to your display device. Your browser is an application and should have all the features you need to use most websites. Safari browser has a built-in spell checker, Chrome, Firefox and Opera have built-in spell checking. IE hasn't seen the light yet, but there are add-ons to choose from that spell check for the IE browser.

It's not vBulletin's problem if you don't understand the capability and features of the applications you have to browse and use the average website on the Net.
                              If my post was helpful to you, please take the time to register at my forum and ask a question you've always wanted to know about floors.
                              www.TheFloorPro.com

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...