X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dan40
    • Dec 2005
    • 3.8.x

Can't afford to upgrade

Hi, the last version I was able to pay for was 3.8.2. Since then, my license has expired and I can no longer to afford vBulletin, and the prices seem to go up and up and up and therefore I cannot continue to pay for a product I love so much at such high prices. I love the features, and I know the support team and development team have gone to great lengths to put out a product that is respected in the forum communities, so in that respect it is a wonderful product.

I don't do it myself, but in cases like this, it's no wonder why some people seek out pirated copies of software. For me, it just isn't worth the $190 US (I'm in Canada, where the exchange rate is falling like a brick again) to pay for this wonderful package of software excellence. I hate to admit it, but I'm just not made of money and what I do earn goes to other important things in life.

Goodbye vBulletin, it was nice while it lasted.
  • ManagerJosh
    • Jun 2002

Originally posted by Dan40
    Hi, the last version I was able to pay for was 3.8.2. Since then, my license has expired and I can no longer to afford vBulletin, and the prices seem to go up and up and up and therefore I cannot continue to pay for a product I love so much at such high prices. I love the features, and I know the support team and development team have gone to great lengths to put out a product that is respected in the forum communities, so in that respect it is a wonderful product.

I don't do it myself, but in cases like this, it's no wonder why some people seek out pirated copies of software. For me, it just isn't worth the $190 US (I'm in Canada, where the exchange rate is falling like a brick again) to pay for this wonderful package of software excellence. I hate to admit it, but I'm just not made of money and what I do earn goes to other important things in life.

There are other alternatives if you are willing to consider them, like phpBB, SMF, Invision Power Board, xenForo...
    ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
    Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• Mark.B
      vBulletin Support
      • Feb 2004
      • 6.0.X

Originally posted by Dan40

I'd love a Ferrari but I can't afford one, so I just have to accept that I can't have one.

It doesn't mean Ferraris are rubbish, it just means I don't have enough money to buy one.
      MARK.B
      vBulletin Support
      ------------
      My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
      My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• aussiefooty
        • Nov 2008
        • 6.0.X

Originally posted by Mark.B
        I'd love a Ferrari but I can't afford one, so I just have to accept that I can't have one.

It doesn't mean Ferraris are rubbish, it just means I don't have enough money to buy one.
        The guy has just said he can't pay for the new license due to how expensive it is.
        There are some cheap alternatives.
        However, there should be a direct debit system for people who have a low income. So instead of taking out the full amount you go on a monthly plan of something like $10 a month.
        But unfortunately it means he has to go to some of the cheaper forums to work out what to do next.
        Aussiefootyforums

New Site New forum
        Come and talk sports all day long

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
          vBulletin Support
          • Aug 2002
          • 5.7.X

Would never work...
          Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
          - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• beishe8
            • Oct 2005
            • 4.2.X

Originally posted by carntheroos4eva
            However, there should be a direct debit system for people who have a low income. So instead of taking out the full amount you go on a monthly plan of something like $10 a month.
            Leased licence. Dead with vB.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• dragonexpert
              • Nov 2010
              • 4.0.x

You could try and set up a place for your members to donate. Perhaps you could use PayPal for this. If you have 100 members that are regular, they'd each only need to donate $2 and you'd have it covered.

Comment

• worried
                • Dec 2008
                • 4.2.X

Originally posted by dragonexpert
                You could try and set up a place for your members to donate. Perhaps you could use PayPal for this. If you have 100 members that are regular, they'd each only need to donate $2 and you'd have it covered.
                That sounds like a great suggestion.

Comment

• FreshFroot_
                  • Jul 2005
                  • 3.8.x

How can you not afford it?

#1 Your Canadian and if I remember correctly 3-4 days ago, the Canadian dollar was worth MORE than the US dollar. Which should've triggered you to buy a vB License that day. It would've costed you LESS than $195 for the forum license.

#2 Your money is worth a lot. If you were in some poor country where your monthly salary = to one days salary in Canada or USA. Then I'd think you would have the right to complain.

So stop whining. You have absoluelt no excuse to cry about it. That is unless you DON'T want vB4. In that case, then I can see your point.

Comment

• FreshFroot_
                    • Jul 2005
                    • 3.8.x

Originally posted by dragonexpert
                    Chances of that working are VERY slim. It first depends on his members. If they are teens, well your screwed. If they are adults, well you have a chance. But unless it's a large community. I doubt you will get help from all 100 members.

Comment

• tgillespie
                      • Dec 2002
                      • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Trevor Hannant
                      Would never work...
                      Classy.
                      Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment

• Mark.B
                        vBulletin Support
                        • Feb 2004
                        • 6.0.X

I managed to cover about two thirds of the cost of my vB4 Suite license from a direct appeal for donations, and my site isn't one that generates much that way normally.

They've been most understanding about the fact that we're still not using vB4 a year later, however, that's all about to change...
                        MARK.B
                        vBulletin Support
                        ------------
                        My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                        My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                          vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by carntheroos4eva
                          When I can't afford something outright, I put money on a debit card every month. Once I have enough money on the card, I then purchase the item. Yes, the card costs me a little upfront but that is the price of doing business. This would be the best alternative at this time for someone.

Issuing credit terms for a small purchase like vBulletin is a paperwork nightmare on both sides of the fence. And yes, even though some people cannot afford the $190.00 price tag outright, in the larger scheme of things, it is a small purchase.
                          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• TheRageIsOn
                            • Mar 2010
                            • 4.2.X

Don't underestimate your own users!

Regardless what age they are they have a few cent to spare, if they like what you are doing/offering them
                            with your community they will help!

Even if you do not have hundred thousand users, just TRY IT !

Originally posted by FreshFroot_
                            Chances of that working are VERY slim. It first depends on his members. If they are teens, well your screwed. If they are adults, well you have a chance. But unless it's a large community. I doubt you will get help from all 100 members.

Comment

• Ramsesx
                              • Aug 2005
                              • 3.8.x

A second hand license may be an idea.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...