Who is Vbullitin's Closest Rivals In Forum Software?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Removed-836727
    Banned by User Request
    • Apr 2006

ATM it'S IPB and vB 3.8

XenForo is missing too many basic functions ATM.

BUT

They have a great & modern framework, which makes it really easy, to extend it and build add-ons for it.
    Also it's IMHO much easier for the core-developers, to extend very fast the core functions, so once the whole lawsuite sh*t is over and they have enough money for more workers, it could blast all the other rivals away^^

My .02$

Comment

• smnet
      • Oct 2005
      • 3.8.x

Originally posted by ragtek
      ... it's IMHO much easier for the core-developers, to extend very fast the core functions, so once the whole lawsuite sh*t is over and they have enough money for more workers, it could blast all the other rivals away^^

My .02$
      In reality that isnt going to happen until they have a suite comparable to vb and ipb. However, once they have then I really feel it will be something very special.

Comment

• abotonyn
        • Nov 2010
        • 4.0.x

I believe that the vb best of free forums to contain all of the features

Comment

• ericwall
          • Dec 2010

Vanilla, phorum, phpBB, MyBB. invasion, and hundreds more. I say vBulletin is still the best

Comment

• MRGTB
            • May 2005

IPB is the closest rival I'd say right now. But XenForo will become more of a serious contender given time, right now it's lacks a little too much. That's if you want all the features that vBulletin offers - and that's your thing?

Comment

• ManagerJosh
              • Jun 2002

ATM it'S IPB and vB 3.8

XenForo is missing too many basic functions ATM.

BUT

They have a great & modern framework, which makes it really easy, to extend it and build add-ons for it.
              Also it's IMHO much easier for the core-developers, to extend very fast the core functions, so once the whole lawsuite sh*t is over and they have enough money for more workers, it could blast all the other rivals away^^

My .02$
              I keep hearing that xenForo is missing too many "basic" functions, but I've yet to hear what these basic functions are...
              ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
              Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• Removed-836727
                Banned by User Request
                • Apr 2006

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
                I keep hearing that xenForo is missing too many "basic" functions, but I've yet to hear what these basic functions are...
                Basic features:
                • Thread rating (very important for my boards)
                • Buddys/ Friends (ok there are follower but IMHO it isn't the same)
                • no ignore function IMHO very important
                • "automatic Style updates" after a upgrade
                • cli updatescript (a great feature!!! )
                • there's no "cache" like in vB4 (that's the second thing, i'm really loving in vB4^^ )
                • also i don't like, how the add-on export is working (you're getting always the masterphrase)
                • calendar
                • profile fields
                • thread prefix

And no basic fuction, but a really big problem: the missing add-ons
                But were getting offtopic here^^
                Last edited by Removed-836727; Sun 26 Dec '10, 5:24am.

Comment

• Reeve of Shinra
                  • Sep 2001

I think IPB has taken the lead --- very stable software, feature rich, and add-on's that actually work right.
                  Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

• MRGTB
                    • May 2005

Basic features:
                    • Thread rating (very important for my boards)
                    • Buddys/ Friends (ok there are follower but IMHO it isn't the same)
                    • no ignore function IMHO very important
                    • "automatic Style updates" after a upgrade
                    • cli updatescript (a great feature!!! )
                    • there's no "cache" like in vB4 (that's the second thing, i'm really loving in vB4^^ )
                    • also i don't like, how the add-on export is working (you're getting always the masterphrase)

And no basic fuction, but a really big problem: the missing add-ons
                    But were getting offtopic here^^
                    Keep in mind, I don't think XenForo is really trying to compete against vBulletin 4 (feature for feature). XenForo seem more interested in keeping the software fast running and without bloat. That does appear from what I've read, to be Kier's main ideology behind XenForo. I don't think we'll ever see XenForo being developed to try and match all the same features as vB4 or IPB 3.

I think they are heading down a different road with it.
                    Last edited by MRGTB; Fri 24 Dec '10, 3:24pm.

Comment

• JamieinNH
                      • May 2004
                      • 3.8.x

Originally posted by MRGTB
                      Keep in mind, I don't think XenForo is really trying to compete against vBulletin 4 (feature for feature). XenForo seem more interested in keeping the software fast running and without bloat. That does appear from what I've read, to be Kier's main ideology behind XenForo. I don't think we'll ever see XenForo being developed to try and match all the same features as vB4 or IPB 3.

I think they are heading down a different road with it.
                      Where's my "Like" button...

I for one am glad it's 'lacking' in bloat and focusing on what forums are suppose to be...

Jamie

Comment

• Alfa1
                        • Dec 2005
                        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
                        Functionality like reputation, tags and groups is essential when you are running a board that has tens of thousands of entries related to this basic functionality. But I am repeating myself, as I have posted this in several related threads. While the 'like' system is a one click function, which is very good for UX, it doesn't cut it for evaluating post quality. And thats what my site is built around.
                        I buy 420 forums

Comment

• Blue-inc
                          • Mar 2006
                          • 4.0.x

I would say free forum software or perhaps warez.

Though commercially, Invision Power Board is their main competitors. IMHO.
                          Armored Vehicles . My Blog . Obama 2012 .

Comment

• core-boy
                            • Jan 2011
                            • 4.0.x

vBulletin is the king of forums but theres also Invision Power Board and xenForo

Comment

• MRGTB
                              • May 2005

Don't write off some of the free boards. After all, a forums main purpose is just for discussion and some free boards do that "simple task" very well. Feature wise your correct of course, but a million features don't necessarily make for a successful community.

Comment

• jumbo-mumbo
                                • Dec 2007

vbulletin is on top right now.. no doubt .. and ATM ipb is close to vbulletin; BUT Xenforo is the future king

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...