Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lojo
    • Oct 2010

Invision Power decides to encode IP.Nexus without prior notice

As many may know Invision Power the developers for IP.Board developed a new product add-on for IP.Board which is called IP.Nexus. On July 26, 2010 they had their first pre-sale for IP.Nexus which you can view here.

They then announced a second pre-sale on August 9, 2010. Today they finally announced the release of IP.Nexus.

The problem is they decided to encode the new IP.Nexus product, so every who purchased IP.Nexus got screwed as Invision Power did not tell their customers that the new product add-on would be encoded.

My respect for Invision Power is now gone.
  • AlexanderT
    • Mar 2003

Yup. The best part is their reasoning: Security through obscurity.

As IP.Nexus deals with financial transactions we wish to do everything we can to ensure the security of your community and business. To further this goal, IP.Nexus source will be encoded using Zend Guard.

Comment

• CK
      Banned
      • Mar 2010

I don't understand this, can someone explain in simpleton terms?

Comment

• Loco.M
        • Mar 2005
        • 3.5.x

Originally posted by ChemicalKicks
        I don't understand this, can someone explain in simpleton terms?
        it's a product for IPB boards
        it was sold under presale as a viewable source product
        now it's encoded
        it's a #fail for ipb
        -- Web Developer for hire
        ---Online Marketing Tools and Articles

Comment

• CK
          Banned
          • Mar 2010

What's the difference between viewable source and encoded and what difference does it make if you but it? Cheers Loco.M

Comment

• IBxAnders
            • Aug 2001
            • 4.0.x

What's the difference between viewable source and encoded and what difference does it make if you but it? Cheers Loco.M
            vBulletin is viewable source, meaning that you can open all of the PHP files in a text editor and inspect each function. Encoded means that you cannot view the code and a special server module is required to correctly compile the PHP code. The code is obfuscated.
            anders | vbulletin team | check out the new vbulletin facebook app
            Proudly vBulletin'ing since 2001
            Please be my friend!
            http://www.twitter.com/inetskunkworks
            vBulletin Performance Articles:
            Click here to read

Comment

• CK
              Banned
              • Mar 2010

Thanks for the explaination but what's wrong with that?

Comment

• BBR-APBT
                • Nov 2005

For starters you can not make any edits to customize the code to suit your needs what there is what is there.
                My statements are based on the forums not the CMS as I do not and will not use it.
                If I wanted faulty software I would code it my self. When I pay I expect to get what is advertised. I do not feel I got what I paid for.
                In an honest opinion I feel I paid for vB 5.0 beta 7

Comment

• Hal9000
                  • May 2004
                  • 3.6.x

hmmm, try find other reasons to tell something bad for ipb. This just doesn't cut it. Ip.nexus is a product where modifications wouldn't be nearly as common as the other scripts and also is their right to protect their product since it's something unique in their business.

Comment

• Loco.M
                    • Mar 2005
                    • 3.5.x

This is the reply from one of the IPB guys I talk with on Twitter.

@bruceserven: they had intent to so that back on the beta- something about PCI and one of the API keys for a 3rd party vendor/payment gw.

Comment

• ManagerJosh
                      • Jun 2002

Originally posted by Loco.M
                      This is the reply from one of the IPB guys I talk with on Twitter.

@bruceserven: they had intent to so that back on the beta- something about PCI and one of the API keys for a 3rd party vendor/payment gw.

I'm not sure how encoding programming code achieves PCI compliance
                      ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                      Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• Loco.M
                        • Mar 2005
                        • 3.5.x

ya IDK, it's just what he said
                        I thought I'd pass it on to everyone here

Comment

• FreshFroot_
                          • Jul 2005
                          • 3.8.x

Thanks for the explaination but what's wrong with that?
                          Well you don't know what's happening behind the scenes.

It's like a restaurant and the kitchen is in the back hidden away. You don't know if the guy in the back just spat on your food and served it too you. Or if he actually cooked it well.

After seeing this, I am glad I didn't move to IPB. I hate encoded files. It slows the software down a bit, and you can't make your own needed modifications. It scares users from wanting the product, because they can't see what it is doing fully.

The fact that they did this without the consent of the customers. Well, I think that is a bad move and I would want a refund.

If that ever happens here at vB, I won't be using it anymore either.

Comment

• FreshFroot_
                            • Jul 2005
                            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Hal9000
                            hmmm, try find other reasons to tell something bad for ipb. This just doesn't cut it. Ip.nexus is a product where modifications wouldn't be nearly as common as the other scripts and also is their right to protect their product since it's something unique in their business.
                            How are they protecting their product. It is already protected, when someone reports their site.

This just makes things worse, and hackers will decode it. hackers love this type of thing. I remember ccms did this for their software. Afterwards they encoded it with ioncube. It was then decoded by a hacker and then all over the internet. You can't stop true piracy, you can bring it down. But the truth is it won't be stopped. It's just like criminals. You can't catch them all, but you can cut the amount down. Encoding just has more cons than pros.

If your worried about piracy, then just have a reporting section.

Encoding kills mainly because if that company ever goes under or has server problems. Then the software calling home or matching license #'s etc.. Will not work and then your software will lock or shutdown. I had this when I got RPG Inferno for vB. The server and company left, and I was stuck with a product, that didn't work because it didn't have a server to call home to verify it's license every week or set time. Nor could I edit it, because the software I paid for was encoded. So I was out of $200 for software I was promised would last for a long time.

Overall, there are just many more down sides for users. Sure a business may not care, there are no downsides besides losing members.

Look at vBseo, they had to stop encoding too. Other competitors came in and had unencoded software like nuSEO.

The worst part as I stated earlier is the fact that they did this without notifiying the customers in advance. Or giving them a refund if they don't agree to the new terms.

Comment

• aussiefooty
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 6.0.X

Interesting idea though if you wanted to make some cash. Pity that many people will probably turn away from it.
                              Aussiefootyforums

New Site New forum
                              Come and talk sports all day long

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...