• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lori55
    • Oct 2010
    • 3.7.x

Harassment

Hello,

My name is Lori and I am a long time member and a moderator of a message board that uses the VBulletin platform. We are licensed and getting ready to upgrade to 4.0 Publishing Suite. We have a license but I'm not an admin so I don't have access to it. I'm not trying to get into trouble here. I'm just trying to help a member.

OK, so member A (a female) is being harassed/stalked by member B (a male). It's all about unrequited love. "A" is getting very uncomfortable and has unfriended "B" from her Facebook list and her forum contact list. I have explained to "A" how to block PM's from "B" but she would like to know if there's a way to block him from reading her posts. I don't think that's possible, unless he puts her on "ignore," but just wanted to see if that was possible or if there was anything we could, do from an admin standpoint, other than send out a stern warning to "B." Both are valuable members of our board and we do not want to have to ban "B," which I know is probably the next step, if he doesn't get into line.

In advance, I appreciate any suggestions/advice.

Lori
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

She can't block him from reading her posts. She can ignore him on the site through. She can prevent him from sending her PMs and Visitor Messages by removing him from her contact lists and settings those features so only people on them can view them. She can also prevent him from viewing her blog with the settings available there. She can't prevent him from viewing public forum posts though.

You can put B into Global Ignore for a while and only approve posts of his that are appropriate.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Bill Rini
      • Sep 2010

On one of my sites this sort of thing comes up quite often. A complains about B and wants B to be prevented from reading anything A writes. It's actually quite childish. If B cannot send PM's to A and B is not harassing A on the forums (or blogs if you have suite) then what exactly is the point of blocking them from reading your posts? If B is harassing A on the forums then, fine, deal with it via issuing an infraction, a ban, or whatever. But if B plays along well in the forums but A just doesn't want B to even read what A writes in the PUBLIC forums then it's A's problem.

I don't want to downplay real harassment but I've found that sometimes community members have very liberal views of harassment. For instance, one girl asked for the same thing you describe and claimed she was being stalked/harassed because she had contacted another girl on the site and they started to hit it off via PM and were becoming friends. Then the first girl noticed that the other girl had someone on her friend's list that she hated and so she blocked her PM's and came to me to ask how she could prevent this person from seeing her profile or any of her forum posts because she felt that the person even coming to her profile or reading what she wrote was harassment.

Like I said, I don't want to downplay real harassment. Cyberbullying or cyberstalking are real problems. And if B is engaged in either then banning is appropriate. Asking for the software to deal with something that should be dealt with by the TOS seems totally contrary to having a moderated community in the first place.
      Community manager at Thailand Friends

Comment

• lori55
        • Oct 2010
        • 3.7.x

Thanks so much for the kind replies. We figured there wasn't much we could do about limiting the views of forum posts. Just had to check. This harassment is quite real. We have a pretty mature member base (median age 50 or so). This one member is really stalking via email, cell, Facebook, you name it. We have taken action against him so, hopefully, that will drive the message home.

Bill, you're not from Long Island originally, are you? I went to high school with a Bill Rini

Comment

• Abomination
          • Jul 2008

Originally posted by lori55
          Thanks so much for the kind replies. We figured there wasn't much we could do about limiting the views of forum posts. Just had to check. This harassment is quite real. We have a pretty mature member base (median age 50 or so). This one member is really stalking via email, cell, Facebook, you name it. We have taken action against him so, hopefully, that will drive the message home.
          Real problems require real solutions. I hope it all works out for you.

Bill, you're not from Long Island originally, are you? I went to high school with a Bill Rini
          Are you stalking Bill?

(I am kidding!!!)

Comment

• Bill Rini
            • Sep 2010

Hi Lori,

No, I'm California born and raised :-)

Bill
            Community manager at Thailand Friends

Comment

• aussiefooty
              • Nov 2008
              • 6.0.X

Hello,

My name is Lori and I am a long time member and a moderator of a message board that uses the VBulletin platform. We are licensed and getting ready to upgrade to 4.0 Publishing Suite. We have a license but I'm not an admin so I don't have access to it. I'm not trying to get into trouble here. I'm just trying to help a member.

OK, so member A (a female) is being harassed/stalked by member B (a male). It's all about unrequited love. "A" is getting very uncomfortable and has unfriended "B" from her Facebook list and her forum contact list. I have explained to "A" how to block PM's from "B" but she would like to know if there's a way to block him from reading her posts. I don't think that's possible, unless he puts her on "ignore," but just wanted to see if that was possible or if there was anything we could, do from an admin standpoint, other than send out a stern warning to "B." Both are valuable members of our board and we do not want to have to ban "B," which I know is probably the next step, if he doesn't get into line.

In advance, I appreciate any suggestions/advice.

Lori
              Global ignore is probably the best option for him to be on that way you can keep an eye on the stalker and his posts. Or if you don't want to do that I suggest put the stalker in the moderation queue and only post the positive posts of his. He will soon get the hint that harassment isn't the answer.
              Aussiefootyforums

New Site New forum
              Come and talk sports all day long

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...