Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rocktrns
    • Nov 2009

Admin hasnt come on for 9 months

Well I'm a Moderator and Gamesonly.org,and our Admin hasn't come on for about 7 months. He happens to have an account here,and is very active but doesn't answer anything. The forum cant get any new members because it has a member confirmation the forum is dead and I would hate to see it go to waste is there any way to retrieve a dead forum without admin permission because obvously the Admin has given up on the community because he has so many other ones. He brought it from the orginal admin and now the place is dead so what can I and the small community that is left can do?
  • Riasat
    • Aug 2006

Admin forgetting his own forum and active in others. lol. that's a new.

Comment

• Lynne
      Former vBulletin Support
      • Oct 2004

The only thing you can do is contact him. Perhaps you can ask to take over the forum for him (get a copy of the database and host it on your own server)?

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
      vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
      Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
      If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• rocktrns
        • Nov 2009

Yeah well I went to his other forum and I pmed me and he deleted my account. I dont kn ow why.

Comment

• Ramsesx
          • Aug 2005
          • 3.8.x

Just open a new community by yourself. You won't get hints how to hijack a community not owned by you. Good luck.

Comment

• WebKing27
            • Oct 2010

Now this is quite interesting !! Can't believe the entire thing !

Comment

• rocktrns
              • Nov 2009

Yeah I dont know why he has left the community after all he wasn't the original owner. What he did was he took our old site changed the name and merged us with like 10 different other sites. Which made us become not as active as we were and then we were down to 0 new users a week,but I still stuck by the site. I guess he just gave up.

Comment

• Mark.B
                vBulletin Support
                • Feb 2004
                • 6.0.X

I have to say as well, unless that site has three licenses, it's sailing very close to the wind on the way the homepage appears to promote it as having three separate forums.

Although they all look the same when you get in, I have a sneaky feeling the vBulletin team might view that as three separate forums needing three separate licenses.

Probably a bit borderline but I'd be careful.
                MARK.B
                vBulletin Support
                ------------
                My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• rocktrns
                  • Nov 2009

no all the links take you to the same sites it just minimizes all the sections,but the one that you selected.

Comment

• rocktrns
                    • Nov 2009

Also I never said I wanted to Hijack a community not owned me I never once typed that.

Comment

• Mark.B
                      vBulletin Support
                      • Feb 2004
                      • 6.0.X

Originally posted by rocktrns
                      no all the links take you to the same sites it just minimizes all the sections,but the one that you selected.
                      Yes I know.

However, vB have stated many times that using different categories to make them look like separate forums requires a separate license for each.

Since the homepage of that site states clearly:
                      Game Forum
                      Wii Forum
                      Combat Arms Forum

I would say that is attempting to represent itself as three separate forums, and I would be amazed if the vB team don't rule that that requires three licenses. This has come up many times in the past and the answer is always the same, so if you do take on that site, I'd be extremely careful - it's in breach of the license.
                      MARK.B
                      vBulletin Support
                      ------------
                      My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                      My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Ramsesx
                        • Aug 2005
                        • 3.8.x

Also I never said I wanted to Hijack a community not owned me I never once typed that.
                        You're right, sorry.

Comment

• Mayers
                          • Jul 2004
                          • 3.6.x

Well I'm a Moderator and Gamesonly.org,and our Admin hasn't come on for about 7 months. He happens to have an account here,and is very active but doesn't answer anything. The forum cant get any new members because it has a member confirmation the forum is dead and I would hate to see it go to waste is there any way to retrieve a dead forum without admin permission because obvously the Admin has given up on the community because he has so many other ones. He brought it from the orginal admin and now the place is dead so what can I and the small community that is left can do?
                          Yeah well I went to his other forum and I pmed me and he deleted my account. I dont kn ow why.
                          I've been through this with before, only I was the admin on the forum.

It's clear he doesn't give a damn about the site if he's deleting your account on his other sites and ignoring you. There's a few options

1. Start a new forum and invite a few members to it, after that word will travel.

2.You can also do it the nice way and ask to takeover the site, but if he ignores you then the heck with him start your own. He can't get too mad at you since he wasn't doing anything with it. Chances are it will get hacked at some point since it looks like he's not updating it version wise. Just don't do a 100% word for word copy of it.

3. Walk away from it yourself.

Me personally I tried for months to contact the owner, after that the sites database was hacked. So I started a new forum for the members. I'd say 80% of the active members joined.
                          Student Zone - A community for students

Comment

• rocktrns
                            • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Mark.B
                            Yes I know.

However, vB have stated many times that using different categories to make them look like separate forums requires a separate license for each.

Since the homepage of that site states clearly:
                            Game Forum
                            Wii Forum
                            Combat Arms Forum

I would say that is attempting to represent itself as three separate forums, and I would be amazed if the vB team don't rule that that requires three licenses. This has come up many times in the past and the answer is always the same, so if you do take on that site, I'd be extremely careful - it's in breach of the license.
                            Well he had like 3 licences for the 3 sites that he merged together so he some how merged all the sites together into one.

Also one member did create a new forum but its not a VB and its not active at all.

Comment

• Lynne
                              Former vBulletin Support
                              • Oct 2004

Originally posted by Mayers
                              3. Walk away from it yourself.

Me personally I tried for months to contact the owner, after that the sites database was hacked. So I started a new forum for the members. I'd say 80% of the active members joined.
                              Very similar story to how my forum got born. The owner would forget to pay the server bills and the site would just go down until he was found. I would call him and offer to pay it and he would hang up on me. So, after the third time, the Mods and I decided to start our own site. The old admin came back and paid the bill and the whole mod team said they were unwilling to do anything for him anymore and that we quit. He closed the site. We started our own.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
                              vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
                              Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
                              If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...