The Other Alternatives - What are you going to do?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tormod
    • Jun 2007
    • 4.2.X

Why cannot people that want to leave Do that? All this insane threads are not very serious.

Comment

• KW802
      • Jul 2003

Originally posted by Tormod
      Why cannot people that want to leave Do that? All this insane threads are not very serious.
      Why do some people continue to read & respond to threads that they supposedly don't care about? Find the answer to one and you'll have your answer to the other.
      [URL="http://coolscifi.com"]Cool Sci-Fi[/URL="http://coolscifi.com"] | [URL="http://awalkerbit.me"]Walking Dead[/URL="awalkerbit.me"]

Comment

• Apokalupsis
        • Feb 2002
        • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Regs
        So you don't see anything progressive in the roadmaps that Fabian has posted to date?

You find that items marked for future releases being moved into earlier releases to be a cause for concern?

I'll argue that for years, this product was slow in adding new features and more importantly, even slower to improve upon features they did add.
        Like what specifically? I've read the "What's to come..." threads. What about the updates are progressive in your view? Many of that which is mentioned is or has been made available via 3rd party mod IMO. I'm just not impressed w/ the line-up of features, nothing really sticks out and it seems like vb is simply trying to catch up to the ideas that competitors have. The entire structure just seems archaic to me.

I'm not going to promote another forum software product, but there is one in particular that just stands out in its forward thinking development. It seems designed w/ the future of communities in mind. I am not alone in this, there are plenty of threads/posts that believe the same. IB isn't known for being progressive. They are merely a "buy-sell" company. The vision that IB has as a company is completely different than that of Jelsoft's. And it was J's vision that made vb so popular. I think that IB is riding on the coattails of the existing success of vb, but that will only get them so far. To be sustainable, the product must be visionary, unique, meet the needs of potential clients. There are other companies who have taken this approach substantially better. VB is not the product it used to be. In fact, I don't think it should be called vb at all. It used to be the reigning champion for years when it came to forum software. I see it as a failing product. I'm really hoping the devs wake up and go back to what made vb so great...but I don't think that is possible under the new leadership. Everything we know about IB (there are numerous news articles) indicate that it is not about forward thinking and customer relations, it is short-term thinking...it is "How can we squeeze the most money out of this product in the shortest amount of time possible before we sell it?"?

There will always be those who think vb is great and/or IB can do no wrong. I championed vb for many years and didn't even think about looking at other forum alternatives. But its reputation is not what it once was, and there is a reason for that. The direction it is headed is, IMHO, going to be the death of the product we know as vb (in as far as being a legitimate contender on the scene).

Comment

• Ramsesx
          • Aug 2005
          • 3.8.x

Originally posted by KW802
          Why do some people continue to read & respond to threads that they supposedly don't care about? Find the answer to one and you'll have your answer to the other.
          Why do some people reply to posts that were useless?
          Originally posted by Ramsesx
          Why do some people reply to posts that were useless?
          And why do some people reply to their own postings? Why do we all write and reply useless things? We should try to go deeper into those serious questions. Shouldn't we?

But to answer the topic "What are you going to do?"
          I go sleep now (1.33 am). Good night.

Comment

• Alfa1
            • Dec 2005
            • 3.8.x

I want a 'open another stupid poll' option in this poll.
            I buy 420 forums

Comment

• KW802
              • Jul 2003

Originally posted by Alfa1
              I want a 'open another stupid poll' option in this poll.
              I think that would come as a result of the "Drink Heavily" option.
              [URL="http://coolscifi.com"]Cool Sci-Fi[/URL="http://coolscifi.com"] | [URL="http://awalkerbit.me"]Walking Dead[/URL="awalkerbit.me"]

Comment

• jrexgis
                • Oct 2010

would go for the get drunk thingy cheers guys

Comment

• fortify
                  • Oct 2006
                  • 3.6.x

Drink heavily then switch to IPB

Comment

• socceronly
                    • Nov 2009
                    • 3.8.x

Why isn't there a stay put & drink heavily option?
                    Hmmm. Cheese.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...