X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NittoMOD
    • Oct 2008
    • 3.8.x

Internet Brands claims against Xenforo

Are you serious? You can't copyright a language.

After reading the post by some VB employee regarding Xenforo, I instantly became personally involved. You guys think that because you are a huge organization you can step on the small guys? I believe, as I'm sure many others do as well, you have just hurt yourself in more ways than you could possibly imagine. Instead of pouring water, you poured alcohol on this fire.

You know you will lose this fight, but this is not why you are doing it. You want to hold their product out until it starves to death. At which time, you will drop whatever BS claims you are making and watch as their ship goes down in flames.

I am not particularly interested in Xenforo, but I do respect what they are doing. You may not care, but you have lost one client for sure and everyone I know that uses VB will be directed to your attack thread. Good luck being the corporate jerks we all knew you are.
    ReaxtionStudios.com
  • Michael2
    • Oct 2001
    • 3.8.x

I'm surprised no one has started a thread on this already.
    HBO Forum - Discuss Game of Thrones, True Blood, Big Love, Boardwalk Empire, and more!
    Disney Forums - Disney theme parks, vacation, entertainment, and more!
    iLoveTalk - Our general discussion forum.
    VeggieBoards - The largest and most active vegetarian forum!

Comment

• ENF
      • Apr 2002

There's already a long rant/discussions thread going in the licensed customer section. Most people are in there...

Other people, are at XenForo's site or other popular forum admin sites...

It's just maddening. (What IB is doing that is...) I feel almost sick that I've been around this long and it all but feels like wasted time.
      To be updated...

Comment

• NittoMOD
        • Oct 2008
        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by ENF
        There's already a long rant/discussions thread going in the licensed customer section. Most people are in there...

Other people, are at XenForo's site or other popular forum admin sites...

It's just maddening. (What IB is doing that is...) I feel almost sick that I've been around this long and it all but feels like wasted time.
        I should have checked there first. Sorry guys for the double post. I agree as well. It's beyond the point of stupid.

Thanks for the heads up on the other thread.
        ReaxtionStudios.com

Comment

• raiderlax
          • Sep 2006
          • 3.6.x

vBulletin / IB has LOST ME AS A CUSTOMER. I'm done with vBulletin. I am purchasing my several new licenses from Invision Power. This just adds to it all!

Comment

• fortify
            • Oct 2006
            • 3.6.x

I'm gonna move to XenForo or IPB

Comment

• raiderlax
              • Sep 2006
              • 3.6.x

Check out IPB, they rock! very friendly and are superior

Comment

• fortify
                • Oct 2006
                • 3.6.x

Originally posted by raiderlax
                Check out IPB, they rock! very friendly and are superior

Already have

Comment

• Possibly
                  • Oct 2009
                  • 3.8.x

This is an absolutely disgusting thing "Internet Brands" are doing here...

Of course there's going to be similarities in the code, as I'm sure you'll find similarities with phpBB, IPB, SMF, etc... However you guys know as well as I that that's not point in this lawsuit.

vBulletin once used to be good, I am personally going to be buying a XenForo license regardless of whether "Internet Brands" manages to throw enough lawyers at this case to shut XenForo down, I know id much rather back the side which actually have the experience of the end user at heart rather than simply trying to squeeze its users for more money.

How you have destroyed what once was one of the best regarded and most popular PHP forum scripts around, and now when you're staring a very capable and very appealing competing newly created forum package in the eyes, created by programmers that said "**** this ****" to you.

Internet Brands is genuinely scared that now it's entire customer base will up-sticks and leave because lets face it, you know you've given us all many good reasons to do just that.

This is Internet Brands' way of publicly admitting they know they've been screwing its user base simply by holding the "Microsoft position" when it comes to forum software.

Comment

• Pope Viper
                    • Mar 2006

I'm truly dumbfounded.

Comment

• napy8gen
                      • Jul 2001
                      • 6.X

I think this will be a lesson for Kier and co. I know not many will agree this maybe some will.

If you are working with vbulletin4, you know how pain it is to see so many bugs. As a vb4 skin maker, customers asking bugs at your face that you do not created them. You have to support customer more than you do in vb3. And this software vb4 was developed by Kier before handed over to IB. If Kier handed a complete vb4 I think this wont be a problem and vb4 should have what xenforo had.

You guys love and support Kier when he started xenforo but last time you condemned vb4 since the start that it is beta not gold. Who made the vb4? Is it the same guy?

Eventhough I critised vb4 sometime but I stick to vb4 vbulletin brand, I wont go for xenforo for above reasons. I feel cheated by Kier. I think IB too.
                      Get Our vbulletin 6 themes

Comment

• Micronichos
                        • Jun 2010

I think that Kier wanted to make a full rewrite for vB4, and IB decided to make the refactoration because this way the release would be sooner.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
                        I could sell you my unused vB4 Suite license, but I'm not so cruel...

Comment

• feldon23
                          • Nov 2001
                          • 3.7.x

Originally posted by napy8gen
                          I think this will be a lesson for Kier and co. I know not many will agree this maybe some will.

If you are working with vbulletin4, you know how pain it is to see so many bugs. As a vb4 skin maker, customers asking bugs at your face that you do not created them. You have to support customer more than you do in vb3. And this software vb4 was developed by Kier before handed over to IB. If Kier handed a complete vb4 I think this wont be a problem and vb4 should have what xenforo had.

You guys love and support Kier when he started xenforo but last time you condemned vb4 since the start that it is beta not gold. Who made the vb4? Is it the same guy?

Eventhough I critised vb4 sometime but I stick to vb4 vbulletin brand, I wont go for xenforo for above reasons. I feel cheated by Kier. I think IB too.
                          You are horribly misinformed. Let me take a moment to explain all the ways in which you are totally and completely wrong.

First, vBulletin 4 is not a product of Kier or Mike. It is a product of Internet Brands. Kier made it clear that he wanted to create vBulletin 4 from the ground up as a new forum product. He fought with IB in meeting after meeting about the need to completely rebuilt vBulletin so that it would be a solid architecture to build upon. IB fought him every step of the way, and forced the product to be vB3 with some horrible refactoring bolted on.

With Kier as Lead Developer and Project Manager, we saw the excellent releases of vBulletin 3.0, 3.5, 3.6, and 3.7. Kier was not the Lead Developer or Project Manager of vBulletin 4. Instead vB4 was micromanaged by people who have never done software development.

Of course you would know all of this if you had read any of these pages:

But since you didn't, you remain ignorant.
                          Last edited by feldon23; Tue 5 Oct '10, 3:02am.

Comment

• Floris
                            • Dec 2001

There's already a thread about this going on - started by IB Adrian ; probably on purpose to keep all the negativity gathered in 1 spot behind closed doors - here:

Currently the average response by apparently all paying vBulletin customers is that they think this action by IB is disgusting and ungrounded - and the second most response is: vB was already under par, this convinced me to buy IPB or XenForo. The third response seems to be Paul having a bad day.

Comment

• Pope Viper
                              • Mar 2006

I had actually considered recommending VB if 4.1 was going to be up to snuff. No way in hell now. NO way. IB has just proven that they are not interested in fair competition, or improving their own product.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...