X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by PitchouneN64ngc
    Sorry but it works fine for me with PHP 5.3.3 & MySQL 5.1.39. I know Plesk (even the latest version) doesn't use the latest version and not everyone are able to update these packages, but for me it works.
    I think what Zachary is relating to is that most of the times when we encounter Plesk, it has minute+ page load times and is missing features found in seemingly more advanced control panels like cPanel. Making our jobs a lot more difficult. It isn't in any way related to the version of PHP or MySQL. It definitely isn't as bad as GoDaddy's control panel though.

Though I do have to say we're venturing offtopic here.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Ando
      • Aug 2010
      • 3.8.x

The ability to install win 7 natively on my Mac is heaven sent. Cause now I can have both worlds.

Comment

• Yves R.
        vBulletin QA
        • Nov 2003
        • 5.6.X

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
        I think what Zachary is relating to is that most of the times when we encounter Plesk, it has minute+ page load times and is missing features found in seemingly more advanced control panels like cPanel. Making our jobs a lot more difficult. It isn't in any way related to the version of PHP or MySQL. It definitely isn't as bad as GoDaddy's control panel though.

Though I do have to say we're venturing offtopic here.
        Oh ok

I already got cPanel around 7 years ago and I didn't remember how it was organized - and I never tested GoDaddy

vBulletin QA - vBulletin Support French - Lead Project Tools developer

Next release? Soon(tm)

Comment

• anthonyparsons
          • Mar 2005

Yep... I take WHM over Plesk any day of the week... their virtualisation is #1, but Plesk as a CP sucks. I am a WHM / Cpanel person myself. If it doesn't have that, I won't host with them.

Comment

• anthonyparsons
            • Mar 2005

I'm actually a little shocked just how fast the built-in wireless in these new imac's is... whilst I will say I tried a file download and its nowhere near as fast wireless compared to direct connection, but for site loading there is no difference from the wireless to LAN with the imac with browser loading.

Comment

• Scott
              • Apr 2001
              • 3.7.x

Welcome to the family.
              I've been a Mac user since the mid 90's

Comment

• anthonyparsons
                • Mar 2005

Thanks Scott... I am that little bit wiser now.

I was wrong with the wireless connectivity it seems, as mentioned earlier in this thread, as I just did a few more tests and wirelessly this thing just pulled 100Mb in just on a minute from a Microsoft site. I tested it across a few key download servers and got less than stellar performance, though maybe it was a busy period... maybe as I just moved the wireless router yesterday... all factors, though I never tested from Microsofts server. I find that to be pretty damn impressive over a wireless connection. The wow factor continues to astound me the more I learn, test and play with these imacs.

Comment

• Quillz
                  • Nov 2004
                  • 5.0.X

It's because the iMac models have had 802.11n since at least the late 2007 revisions. As long as every other computer on your network is also 802.11n capable, you will get the fastest possible speeds. But if you have a computer that has a 802.11b/g card, your entire network will be slowed down.

I believe the next standard is 802.11y, which has theoretical speeds even better than current Ethernet.
                  Forums

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Quillz
                    It's because the iMac models have had 802.11n since at least the late 2007 revisions. As long as every other computer on your network is also 802.11n capable, you will get the fastest possible speeds. But if you have a computer that has a 802.11b/g card, your entire network will be slowed down.

I believe the next standard is 802.11y, which has theoretical speeds even better than current Ethernet.
                    This isn't true. It doesn't work like mixing ethernet speeds on an unswitched hub. I have both 802.11g and 802.11n devices on my network. The 'g' devices run at 'g' speeds and the 'n' devices run at 'n' speeds through a single wireless router with 2.4Ghz and 5 Ghz antennas. It may be a limitation in Apple's Air Port routers though or through devices that run 802.11n at the lower bandwidth 2.4 Ghz spectrum but that isn't true 802.11n. It is only when you get into the 5 Ghz spectrum that you get true 802.11n speeds.
                    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• anthonyparsons
                      • Mar 2005

My router is a netgear 802.11g, which gave my results when downloading from Microsoft servers. So it is technically limiting the imac, and 100mb in less than a minute I see as pretty damn good for wireless. I have to say... if the next level "y" is getting closer to LAN speeds, that will be most excellent. I think the slowest thing in any network is usually the cable and network equipment. Its often funny when I come across someone who boasts about a 10/100/1000 network, stating they are running on 1000T-Base, but then they use a switch or router that is only 100T-Base, so the two extra pair are only being shorted and unused. 1000T-Base is great though for internal networking... especially when one is downloading gigs of data from the Internet, it doesn't restrict or limit either the download or other internal traffic on 1000T-Base.

Networks make me laugh usually.... its like thinking of a fibre-optic cable terminating to a cat5 and then reconnecting to a fibre-optic, and people think they have this massive fibre-optic near unlimited bandwidth available.

Comment

• anthonyparsons
                        • Mar 2005

Wow.... I am assigned to the mac today as my system is being used by staff, so here I am trying to work out what software I am going to need in order to do screen captures. Well... to my surprise, NONE. All built-in, double click to edit, crop, rotate... all the basic functions at the tip of my fingers. These things continue to impress me.

Now just to remember all the little shortcut functions for the specific type of screen capture.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                          Former Customer Support Manager
                          • Jul 2000

Yeah, that is one of the nice shortcuts I use all the time. Saves a lot of work.
                          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Quillz
                            • Nov 2004
                            • 5.0.X

Originally posted by anthonyparsons
                            Wow.... I am assigned to the mac today as my system is being used by staff, so here I am trying to work out what software I am going to need in order to do screen captures. Well... to my surprise, NONE. All built-in, double click to edit, crop, rotate... all the basic functions at the tip of my fingers. These things continue to impress me.

Now just to remember all the little shortcut functions for the specific type of screen capture.
                            CMD + 3 = Full screen shot
                            CMD + 4 + Space = Screen shot of currently active window
                            CMD + 4 = Customizable screen shot area

Note that all screen shots are automatically saved to the desktop, with a set naming scheme and PNG format. You can use something like Cocktail to change all the defaults, though.
                            Forums

Comment

• Yves R.
                              vBulletin QA
                              • Nov 2003
                              • 5.6.X

Originally posted by Quillz
                              CMD + 3 = Full screen shot
                              CMD + 4 + Space = Screen shot of currently active window
                              CMD + 4 = Customizable screen shot area

Note that all screen shots are automatically saved to the desktop, with a set naming scheme and PNG format. You can use something like Cocktail to change all the defaults, though.
                              And complete with TinyGrab ( http://tinygrab.com/ ) to send automatically your screenshots to a server (you can specify your own FTP server) and it returns you a shorten URL of the screenshot

I'm using it a lot here (screenshots of bugs)

vBulletin QA - vBulletin Support French - Lead Project Tools developer

Next release? Soon(tm)

Comment

• Quillz
                                • Nov 2004
                                • 5.0.X

Originally posted by PitchouneN64ngc
                                And complete with TinyGrab ( http://tinygrab.com/ ) to send automatically your screenshots to a server (you can specify your own FTP server) and it returns you a shorten URL of the screenshot

I'm using it a lot here (screenshots of bugs)
                                Interesting. I have my own web server and currently use a Transmit 4 droplet for quick uploading, but this sounds even more useful with automatic URL shortening. Will have to look into it.
                                Forums

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...