It Seems We (Me and Wife) Are Joining The Converts To Mac

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • anthonyparsons
    • Mar 2005

I have core 2 quad cores now as my main windows machines running SCSI / SSD with 4gb ram... elbeit these where the top a couple years ago when I purchased them, but technology changes so fast.

As above... I also wouldn't have installed windows on our mac if it wasn't purely due to having to support some other software we have, being all windows up until a decision a week ago, its not something we can just drop and switch to mac only. My wifes customers are mainly MYOB windows, and whilst some conversion processes are present between them on some versions, some clients use standard versions not the higher professional levels, etc etc... so both are always going to be required for her, but for me I plan to slowly completely drop windows once I get my new 27" i7 imac. The 21.5" we purchased for my wifes client requirements only begun the process... I had just spent more money on upgrading some machines here again, and we aren't prepared to just drop it all this week and go mac, ours will be a progressive transition over, selling off our hardware and replacing with a imac only.

My dual monitors is nice and all, but I can achieve the same thing on one 27" screen. I was going to drop dual screens for a single 32" screen for each system, but since deciding to go mac after our first purchase... the 27" will more than suffice to have two windows open. For me its design programs, for the wife its usually dual MYOB files open or an MYOB with Outlook, processing client emails.

Just looking at my current system... 1 HDD unit, two screens, two swivel wall mounts, 3 x power cable, 2 x DVI cable, Bluetooth USB plugged in for wireless mouse and keyboard, sound cable + power for speakers, speakers themselves, video camera, LAN, extra power points added to cater all the power cables, ducting under bench for all cables.

Mac - Plugin power cord, LAN optional. (oh... that's it)

Mac = (HDD, LED screen, built-in bluetooth, camera + mic, speakers, wireless internet)

BIG difference.... then... lets just talk about the OS! And this is all coming from a windows man all my life here... OSX - stable, secure, smooth, lighting fast, no virus nonsense to worry about.

Sorry... but being a windows man since it was created, now having just one mac to try longer than a shop trial... I'm converted. That doesn't mean everyone else should... so please don't feel as though that is what I am saying, because its not. For me... I now understand what mac people have said for a long time now, and that I have really been quite ignorant off. I was wrong... Mac is by far a superior system which dual boots windows just fine for those who want it, with everything still Mac integrated. Even for windows, why have all the above crap I just mentioned I have for one system, when I can have one screen with everything built-in, running mac or windows??? The office space alone we gain shifting to mac is worth the progressive change over to all mac.

Comment

• speedway
      • Nov 2001
      • 3.0.0 Beta 4

Anthony

Look into vmWare Fusion - it allow you to run *any* operating system along side OSX without rebooting. There is even Unity mode where you foreign apps windows show on the OSX desktop. I use it for site development running Win 7, XP and Vista with the various flavors of IE. I have bit of a different Mac than usual but still love it to bits.
      vBulletin Owner since 2002!

Comment

• anthonyparsons
        • Mar 2005

I have a parallels license I use on my windows machine with Linux, considering they are both the same price, you feel vmware Fusion is superior to parallels when it comes to Mac though? Or are they much of a muchness?

Comment

• speedway
          • Nov 2001
          • 3.0.0 Beta 4

I tried Parallels at one point but like where vmware fusion is going. Have used it since 2.0 and they have improved things quite dramatically. I suppose when it comes down to it it is a preference based on use. Me personally find it easier to use than Parallels, just make more "sense" if you know what I mean

Comment

• anthonyparsons
            • Mar 2005

Fair enough, sounds good. I must admit that I struggled to get Parallels running properly, so if vmware just works easily, then I may give that a crack to see what happens.

Comment

• speedway
              • Nov 2001
              • 3.0.0 Beta 4

Found the same on my Dad's Mac, just couldn't get Parallels to run properly and their interface is strange. May have been because I have been used to vmware but... vmware is a $120 or something from Apple stores but well worth it for us site dev types....

Comment

• anthonyparsons
                • Mar 2005

Make the most of your Mac - install Microsoft Office suites or run Windows. Buy online with fast, free shipping.

I was thinking if mac supported vmware, that could make a decision easier, but then they sell both... damn it. Cheaper to buy online though with current exchange rates.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                  Former Customer Support Manager
                  • Jul 2000

If, and when, I can afford a new iMac I'll use VMware Fusion. I tried Parallels and had nothing but problems. Worse yet, their customer support was horrible. It took 2-3 days to get a response, and then they just told me to do what I had already told them I did. They never even bothered reading the info I have them.
                  Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                  Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• anthonyparsons
                    • Mar 2005

Well... that's two for two, so good enough for me. Vmware it will be, considering I had an awful time getting parallels to run on my windows with linux. If vmware works easier, then that will do the job vs this boot camp it comes with, which doesn't even work via restart, and can only be accessed from a full startup (ie. shutdown then startup) or within bootcamp itself, which sucks as I see it.

Vmware it is... thanks both.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                      If, and when, I can afford a new iMac I'll use VMware Fusion. I tried Parallels and had nothing but problems. Worse yet, their customer support was horrible. It took 2-3 days to get a response, and then they just told me to do what I had already told them I did. They never even bothered reading the info I have them.
                      Isn't Parallels made by the same company that makes Plesk?
                      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Yves R.
                        vBulletin QA
                        • Nov 2003
                        • 5.6.X

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                        Isn't Parallels made by the same company that makes Plesk?
                        This is the same and Plesk works great for me (9.5.2)

vBulletin QA - vBulletin Support French - Lead Project Tools developer

Next release? Soon(tm)

Comment

• Zachery
                          Former vBulletin Support
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by PitchouneN64ngc
                          This is the same and Plesk works great for me (9.5.2)
                          Bite your tounge, plesk is the devil of a webhosting control panel.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                            Former Customer Support Manager
                            • Jul 2000

I cringe every time I have to deal with a ticket for an account that is stuck with Plesk.
                            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• anthonyparsons
                              • Mar 2005

Parallels makes the best virtualisation around, but I do concede I had a bugger of a time getting it to run a desktop virtual environment for windows, dual booting linux in. I actually gave up at one point it frustrated me that much that it just didn't work like it said... then finally got it working after coming back to it with a better attitude and some Parallels support help. If vmware fusion just works, then that is what I like the most. What the experts use on server hosting compared to what I need on our desktops... whole different ball game. I will give it a go on this new imac we have, in preparation for the future swap out to all mac. Works well on this, I will be buying more. I simply never knew of vmware fusion... so it can't hurt if its easier than Parallels to setup.

Comment

• Yves R.
                                vBulletin QA
                                • Nov 2003
                                • 5.6.X

Originally posted by Zachery
                                Bite your tounge, plesk is the devil of a webhosting control panel.
                                Sorry but it works fine for me with PHP 5.3.3 & MySQL 5.1.39. I know Plesk (even the latest version) doesn't use the latest version and not everyone are able to update these packages, but for me it works.

vBulletin QA - vBulletin Support French - Lead Project Tools developer

Next release? Soon(tm)

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...