Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • anthonyparsons
    • Mar 2005

It Seems We (Me and Wife) Are Joining The Converts To Mac

Some of my wifes customers use macs with MYOB, and MYOB is renounced for having some issues between moving files from mac to windows. Whilst only a limited amount, still good business to just have a mac with mac MYOB so she can tailor those clients uniquely, thus also take on others who she has rejected due to mac issues.

So... we got our first 21.5" mac today, and we love it. I wasn't aware you can run win7 natively upon it, which apparently it can be done, so that covers both our problems in one system, no more monitors with hard drives elsewhere, big networks, etc... we will just sell all our other systems in the next 2 years and convert to the big screen macs.

Another two who will now be converting to the mac side of things. We both already love our iphones... best phone either of us have ever had, so going mac can only be a good thing with our existing mac bits and pieces.
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

I switched about 2-1/2 years ago and don't regret it. While the Mac OS is not perfect, it is far more reliable and stable than any version of Windows I've run. I'm looking at getting the new 27" iMac soon.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• steven s
      • Jul 2004
      • 3.8.x

I replaced my aging iMac with an 15" i5 laptop and cinema display.
      Couldn't be happier.

Plus Remote Desktop works pretty well for when I need to connect to work.
      ...steven
      www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
      bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
      "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

Comment

• Zachery
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Steve Machol
        I switched about 2-1/2 years ago and don't regret it. While the Mac OS is not perfect, it is far more reliable and stable than any version of Windows I've run. I'm looking at getting the new 27" iMac soon.
        There are things I miss every so often in Win7 that I have in 10.5, but there are things in 10.5 I miss in Win7. AFAIK, they're not in 10.6 either.

Comment

• Steve Machol
          Former Customer Support Manager
          • Jul 2000

I plan to install Win7 on my new iMac when I get it, so I'll have both available. I still require the Windows version of Quicken Home & Business since there is no Mac equivalent.
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Zachery
            Former vBulletin Support
            • Jul 2002

Grats Anthony, I hope you'll be happy with your mac

Comment

• steven s
              • Jul 2004
              • 3.8.x

I plan to install Win7 on my new iMac when I get it, so I'll have both available. I still require the Windows version of Quicken Home & Business since there is no Mac equivalent.
              Intuit released a piece of crap product what I guess they thought would replace Quicken for Mac.
              From what I read, they are going to update Quicken 2007 for Mac.
              ...steven

Comment

• Yves R.
                vBulletin QA
                • Nov 2003
                • 5.6.X

As equivalent, Money can't be yours? http://www.jumsoft.com/money

Edit: http://www.jumsoft.com/support/#money

7. Can Money import Quicken data, accounts, etc.?
                Yes, Money 3 can import QIF, OFX, QFX, and CSV data files.

vBulletin QA - vBulletin Support French - Lead Project Tools developer

Next release? Soon(tm)

Comment

• anthonyparsons
                  • Mar 2005

Very happy already, and this was really just a test one that helps the wife for a few limited clients, yet allows us to play around with it a bit. Within 24hrs, we have both agreed, we will swap all existing standard PC's out and replace them with the 27" i7 mac and dual boot win7 onto each, so we have the best of both worlds depending on what we need.

There are games I still like to play every now and then, which won't run a mac, but will on win7 due to xp mode, ie. the earlier command and conquer and strategy type games. The wife's MYOB requirements are mainly win7 due to 99% of her client base being win users. I am going to install a spare win7 we have sitting here in its wrapper still, tomorrow. If that goes well, then that just really seals the deal on beginning to sell off all existing equipment and move 100% mac.

We still have to do some checking, as currently our home and office use a networked server based system, where everything is centrally located. So we have to find out how to do all that with mac, but her clients who use all mac have networks which apparently mac have some type of backup network systems nowadays. We will just use a smaller system I guess as the server centralising all files.

Lots to learn with the changes, but I know we are already much happier as we will be able to reduce the office clutter. Right now, I have 5 x 3u rack mounts boxes with systems in them, then cables all nested in ducting, etc etc. Couldn't believe just the power cable and then only needing the LAN cable. Amazing... the keyboard feels so tiny, and OMG I love the new sensor mouse... very cool.

Thinking about it, likely even makes our upgrade a lot cheaper, as the new 27" i7's are about $3k each, complete, we already have all the win7 versions to install on them, and using the current method, I estimated around another $12k to upgrade vs. using makes $8k. Much better.

Comment

• steven s
                    • Jul 2004
                    • 3.8.x

Originally posted by anthonyparsons
                    <snip>her clients who use all mac have networks which apparently mac have some type of backup network systems nowadays.<snip>
                    Time Machine
                    It has already bailed me out of trouble once. I deleted a file that I didn't think I needed.

Also check out http://magicprefs.com/, it's amazing!
                    ...steven

Comment

• anthonyparsons
                      • Mar 2005

Thanks... will do. I was just looking at time machine. A client of hers has just the backup, but reading there is quite a difference between just the 1Tb space with auto backup compared to time machine, which also caters LAN connectivity, which we require. Wireless is nice and all, but you cannot get the speeds via wireless compared to LAN. I notice also the normal backup drives are system specific, where the time machine is all macs in premise. Mac really has thought of things quite sufficiently. Time machine seems like a pretty good solution compared to the $5k or so for a mac server... time machine is $400 here. Pretty significant difference between the two, when all we really need is a central file repository for her employee's to access from each system. The wireless backup for it is excellent, as those on the road with clients can just sync their notebooks with it.

Getting more and more impressed with mac the more I learn about it. What have I seriously been missing all these years!!!

Comment

• steven s
                        • Jul 2004
                        • 3.8.x

What have I seriously been missing all these years!!!
                        I've been using Macs since the late 80s. They have come a long way and I have never regretted owning them.
                        Well except for the price. Back then anyway.
                        ...steven

Comment

• anthonyparsons
                          • Mar 2005

I love this little smart mouse thing, seriously cool. Now I have to learn how to install things, because I think I am opening them and running them, but they are not installed.

Comment

• Zachery
                            Former vBulletin Support
                            • Jul 2002

I love this little smart mouse thing, seriously cool. Now I have to learn how to install things, because I think I am opening them and running them, but they are not installed.
                            Either it comes with an install package similiar to windows, or you drag the app to your applications folder and you're done.

Comment

• anthonyparsons
                              • Mar 2005

Argh... thanks Zac. I was just reading about that, but didn't really understand it. Windows since 3.1 and now relearning mac. Some interesting times ahead.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...