Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

If there is any one thing i truely enjoy about OSX, it is the install routine and mouse pad guestures. If I could bring that to windows I doubt I'd leave. Conversly, they were not enough to pull me away from Windows

Comment

• socceronly
      • Nov 2009
      • 3.8.x

I'm switching from Whirlpool to Maytag washing machines.

Imagine if everyone announced some kind of allegiance when they switched product brands.

It's just creepy.
      Hmmm. Cheese.

Comment

• steven s
        • Jul 2004
        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by socceronly
        It's just creepy.
        Not to me.
        What's creepy is people who reply without contributing to the thread.
        But that's been going on since the first BBS.
        ...steven
        www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
        bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
        "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

Comment

• anthonyparsons
          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by steven s
          Absolutely agree...

Last time I looked, this is a chit chat forum for any subject, and considering this is a forum software company, and O/S is very much a part of that realm... seems kind off appropriate to me!

Zac, I have just printed out the docs on how to install win7 on here, which is my next mission today. When I found out that both can run natively on here, that is what sold me. I am hoping the smart mouse also functions in win7... yet to find out. I couldn't just go mac only, as I need windows for some things, but the mac as the system with windows as a boot option, that is just ideal. Also I found out from Mac that I can just run the parallels dual OS on here and run them both simultaneously. I run that on my win system with linux, so will be interesting to run on a mac now.

Apparently we are going to need to purchase a new printer though. We have a multi purpose one that is years old, and osx does not support this specific one we have. Murphy's law prevails once again. We were planning on getting a proper network printer in the future, so when we have shifted to all mac, that will be another addition to the shopping trip by the looks of things.

Comment

• socceronly
            • Nov 2009
            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by steven s
            Not to me.
            But that's been going on since the first BBS.
            It is contributing something.

It's just something you don't like.

I think it's a very important idea. That people latch onto the offerings of a corporation and shill for them endlessly is pathetic. Hey, people even do it with forum software... lol!

I actually don't think it's just pathetic it's actually a very bad thing.

Originally posted by anthonyparsons
            Absolutely agree...

Last time I looked, this is a chit chat forum for any subject, and considering this is a forum software company, and O/S is very much a part of that realm... seems kind off appropriate to me!

Zac, I have just printed out the docs on how to install win7 on here, which is my next mission today. When I found out that both can run natively on here, that is what sold me. I am hoping the smart mouse also functions in win7... yet to find out. I couldn't just go mac only, as I need windows for some things, but the mac as the system with windows as a boot option, that is just ideal. Also I found out from Mac that I can just run the parallels dual OS on here and run them both simultaneously. I run that on my win system with linux, so will be interesting to run on a mac now.

Apparently we are going to need to purchase a new printer though. We have a multi purpose one that is years old, and osx does not support this specific one we have. Murphy's law prevails once again. We were planning on getting a proper network printer in the future, so when we have shifted to all mac, that will be another addition to the shopping trip by the looks of things.
            I never said it was inappropriate to talk about it, I said it was creepy... which was too harsh.

Has anyone ever announced that they are 'going Honda' or switching the brand of power tools they use at work?

They are just tools and you should use the ones you like, but there is something weird going on on the social side that is hard to explain.
            Last edited by Zachery; Sun 1 Aug '10, 6:33pm.
            Hmmm. Cheese.

Comment

• Zachery
              Former vBulletin Support
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by socceronly
              It is contributing something.

It's just something you don't like.

I think it's a very important idea. That people latch onto the offerings of a corporation and shill for them endlessly is pathetic. Hey, people even do it with forum software... lol!

I actually don't think it's just pathetic it's actually a very bad thing.

I never said it was inappropriate to talk about it, I said it was creepy... which was too harsh.

Has anyone ever announced that they are 'going Honda' or switching the brand of power tools they use at work?

They are just tools and you should use the ones you like, but there is something weird going on on the social side that is hard to explain.
              The concept of brand loyalatly is very old

Comment

• beishe8
                • Oct 2005
                • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Zachery
                The concept of brand loyalatly is very old
                Yes,it is. That's why I did not change to Mac when I was using Windows ME.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                  vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                  • Aug 2000

My wife has expressed interest in getting a Macbook Pro. Have been looking into it. Have looked at the new iMac as well though would have to run Windows on it as well. However having people install Windows 7 on their brand new shiny Macs is bound to make Microsoft happy. Since they don't sell PC hardware, they are clear winners here when power users need to have Windows still in order to run in Parallels or via Bootcamp. Selling 175 million copies of Windows 7 in seven months kind of proves this point.
                  Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                  The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                  vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• anthonyparsons
                    • Mar 2005

Well, I just installed win7 onto our new 21.5" imac, being days old apparently it uses some new architecture. The only issue was that I had to download some additional pieces from apple and put them on a usb stick during the install process because win7 does not contain the display drivers for the latest nvidia being used, so you end up with a black screen of death. 32bit wouldn't even install... but the 64bit win7 went on otherwise quite fine. The apple wireless smart mouse and keyboard are all fully functional in win7... actually I am typing this from within win7 on our new imac after successfully getting the mouse issue sorted out this morning. It was the only thing that gave me a headache, again a driver issue. Had to navigate through via keyboard to uninstall the bluetooth drivers and a reboot then fixed the mouse as a result.

This now seals the deal for us... we can choose mac or win7 on startup, it all works great, we have both O/S to use... spot on the money.

Apply now have all our future business. Now to just install MS Office for win on this version, and my job with this system is done. Looking forward to getting my hands on the new 27" i7 soon.

It just pisses me off that we have spent so much on the existing IBM type systems, dual monitors on all systems, server, etc etc... and now someone will pickup some good bargains on ebay. Never again will I buy other than mac knowing what I now know. I have seriously been ignorant over the years to just how good these things are. Friends and those online who have raved about them, I have pretty much been ignorant and brushed it off as I didn't want to learn a new system and was comfortable in what I knew using standard systems... now I know better.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                      • Aug 2000

Used computers make nice holiday gifts for extended family members. You don't necessarily need to sell them on eBay. You also might fair better selling them on Craigslist to someone in your local community.
                      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• socceronly
                        • Nov 2009
                        • 3.8.x

If you can't sell that stuff for much, there are also some charities that will put the computers to good use and some will give you a tax receipt for the donation. You might do better on that than selling it, and it's going someplace where it will be appreciated.
                        Hmmm. Cheese.

Comment

• dilbert
                          • Oct 2004

I'm not knocking Mac's. I have never used one.
                          I own a lot of Windows software, and I wouldn't want to have to by the Mac version.
                          I don't find a Mac intuitive (I only played with one in the store).
                          The one statement that seems universal from Mac owners is "I just got my new Mac and installed Windows". Why by a Mac then?
                          I own Windows and I am not trying to install OSX.
                          Cliff
                          PathLabTalk
                          Square Wheels Cycling

Comment

• Ramsesx
                            • Aug 2005
                            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by dilbert
                            The one statement that seems universal from Mac owners is "I just got my new Mac and installed Windows". Why by a Mac then?
                            That's a valid point dilbert, it would be horrible to always switch between two systems according what program I need as a power user in my eyes. Better solution may be to have one win pc and one apple, if I could afford it I would do that.

Comment

• steven s
                              • Jul 2004
                              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by dilbert
                              I own Windows and I am not trying to install OSX.
                              All though it's possible.

Originally posted by Ramsesx
                              That's a valid point dilbert, it would be horrible to always switch between two systems according what program I need as a power user in my eyes. Better solution may be to have one win pc and one apple, if I could afford it I would do that.
                              Two monitors, two keyboards, 2 mouses and a bigger desk.
                              There are times when you need both OSes. It just depends how often you need a Windows machine. For a one or two windows programs, does it really pay to have a dedicated computer?
                              I find myself using Remote Desktop to my work PC when I need to run Windows programs. It's slow but takes less room on my desk.
                              ...steven
                              www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
                              bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
                              "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

Comment

• anthonyparsons
                                • Mar 2005

Dilbert, I thought exactly the same as you since 3.1 was released, until the last few days. I also have a lot of older windows software which I am just not going to let go off or pay to convert over to mac, hence it is easier to simply have a mac that also has windows boot available. I finally got that sorted out.

The system is an all in one unit, and whilst I have looked at other non-mac all in one and touch screen units, they fail in comparison to the specs offered in a mac. I don't have a cpu of to one site, cables hanging around, monitors, etc... all one unit, one power cord, that is it. It has built-in wireless or add one additional LAN cable. That is the end of your cables. Two, max. Keyboard and mouse, far superior to anything offered on the market today outside of mac. Many windows users are now buying the mac keyboard and smart mouse as they are superior. I find the mac OS actually much smoother than windows, easier to use, faster in near every aspect. Things just work... unlike how windows has really ever operated.

Going forward, I will buy new software as mac, though obviously changing over requires a dual boot system. I am hoping by the time win7 life ends, I should have everything fully mac at that point.

I have despised these... I was wrong. I have also used them quickly in a store, then walked away. Now I have one due to the wife needing one for business... playing with it a bit longer than in store has completely changed my approach. I have been wrong about these... and what every mac owner has ever told me about them being superior, I now understand myself. WOW... I am glad to have made the change and I actually need to slap myself for not giving mac users more scope to influence my own decisions.

Things just work and with total ease. I hate having to use my other dual monitor windows system now... this is just so much better. No wonder mac stores keep slowly increasing as more users get some hands on time with them.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...