X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blubble
    • Sep 2009
    • 3.8.x

Vat

I see now that my licence cost has gone up by 17.5%, great, f***ing great!

This tax collection could not have come as a surprise to VB as an organization so why wasn't an announcement made to the effect that "as and from Date X we will be obliged to levy VAT on purchases" ? Even the Govt gives fair notice of changes in taxation or taxation collection. People could have legally avoided this huge increase by buying in time now we have to consider our options including buying cheaper untaxed alternative software.

For such a large business they way this place is run astounds me.
    Last edited by Blubble; Fri 9 Jul '10, 2:04am. Reason: Typo
  • Mike Anime
    • Oct 2004
    • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Blubble
    I see now that my licence cost has gone up by 17.5%, great, f***ing great!

This tax collection could not have come as a surprise to VB as an organization so why wasn't an announcement made to the effect that "as and from Date X we will be obliged to levy VAT on purchases" ? Even the Govt gives fair notice of changes in taxation or taxation collection. People could have legally avoided this huge increase by buying in time now we have to consider our options including buying cheaper untaxed alternative software.

For such a large business they way this place is run astounds me.

welcome to the "new" and "improved vB"

Comment

• Stuart Wolfe
      • Jul 2010

You pay VAT on all your transactions, I don't see how they've been operating in various countries without already charging it anyway. The VAT in the UK has bee set at 15% for a while now and has only recently went up. Don't see what the problem is here.

Comment

• Loco.M
        • Mar 2005
        • 3.5.x

There is an announcement yesterday, I guess you didn't see that?

ps... we pay taxes in the states as well
        -- Web Developer for hire
        ---Online Marketing Tools and Articles

Comment

• mcrider
          • Feb 2009
          • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Loco.M
          I am sure he seen it, the announcement states that they are now required to collect VAT...I think his point was that it would have been nice if vB would have given some advanced notice so he could have saved some money by purchasing it before VAT was added...just a guess though

Comment

• Loco.M
            • Mar 2005
            • 3.5.x

Originally posted by mcrider
            I am sure he seen it, the announcement states that they are now required to collect VAT...I think his point was that it would have been nice if vB would have given some advanced notice so he could have saved some money by purchasing it before VAT was added...just a guess though
            I didn't know it was vBulletin's job to inform us we had to pay taxes..lol
            isn't that was VAT is? I don't really know, maybe it's vb's job to explain what VAT is as well..

Comment

• mcrider
              • Feb 2009
              • 3.8.x

I didn't know it was vBulletin's job to inform us we had to pay taxes..lol
              isn't that was VAT is? I don't really know, maybe it's vb's job to explain what VAT is as well..
              I don't think it is there job but it might have been a nice courtesy...it may have also brought an influx of purchases

Comment

• Loco.M
                • Mar 2005
                • 3.5.x

I don't think it is there job but it might have been a nice courtesy...it may have also brought an influx of purchases
                true, but again, I don't think it's their responsibility
                I personally, would rather they focus on the product, vs informing members about tax laws.

Comment

• Blubble
                  • Sep 2009
                  • 3.8.x

ps... we pay taxes in the states as well

Of course I saw it, it said "Effective immediately" that is my point, there was no prior notification. I never said I object to paying taxes, I do object to lack of notice of what is effectively a price increase of 17.5%

My guess is that they have not being charging VAT when they should have been and now they have had to act swiftly to remedy the situation. BTW the collection of the correct rate of VAT of sales is VB's reponsibility, it is not my reponsibility to offer it.

Comment

• Loco.M
                    • Mar 2005
                    • 3.5.x

BTW the collection of the correct rate of VAT of sales is VB's reponsibility, it is not my reponsibility to offer it.
                    ofcourse it's vb's responsibility to collect tax as a business
                    however.. it isn't their responsibility to "give you a notice" as you say, that you have to pay tax, it should be a given on the clients side.

Comment

• Blubble
                      • Sep 2009
                      • 3.8.x

I disagree, in Europe prices to the public are advertised as tax inclusive so the previously published price should already have included VAT. Only VAT registered business to business transactions are quoted at a VAT exclusive price. VB has fouled it up from the word go.

Comment

• Loco.M
                        • Mar 2005
                        • 3.5.x

VB has fouled it up from the word go.
                        lol.. ok
                        well in the rest of the WORLD price is plus tax
                        and since vb is sold world wide, it would be ridicules to require them to post a special price for EU users

Comment

• x626xblack
                          • Oct 2009

VB did right to announce it. They did not give advance notice because, well.... they did not have advanced notice. From Adrian "we are now required to collect VAT on all vBulletin purchases made in EU regions."

They just found out

Comment

• Ace
                            • Apr 2004
                            • 4.2.X

Considering the length of time that the US/EU VAT law has been in effect, it's possible that VBS were absorbing that cost.

In that case, an influx of purchases would result in an increase in penalty for them.
                            My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
                            vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

• wcguy
                              • Mar 2009
                              • 3.8.x

Or they were audited and have to remit moneys owed back to the purchase and maybe beyond?

Ouch!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...