When will this negativity about vb will stop?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MRGTB
    • May 2005

you know it kills me to see the likes of threads like this one here
    I wouldn't go that far, seriously....

Comment

• Mark.B
      vBulletin Support
      • Feb 2004
      • 6.0.X

If my posts are deemed "negative", so be it. There's lots to be negative about. I've proved over and over that I'll post positively about things which are positive, BUT many customers feel they have been cheated by being cajoled into paying for vB4 before they'd seen it, off the back of the previous version's reputation, and it turned out to be a donkey. The cynics amongst us might say that was always entirely the point of the "closed beta", not letting people see it. But it all backfired.

Once we have a product worthy of the money we spent, people such as myself will stop the "negative" posts. Until then, that's the way it stays I'm afraid. Whilst improvements have been forthcoming the product is still way off track and nothing more than a late beta as far as I can see. Each new version fixes stuff but introduces more problems. We've even got an upgrade script that doesn't work properly now. I mean, to even suggest I could go near this is laughable really. But I paid for it. And so I will voice my honest views about what it's like.
      MARK.B
      vBulletin Support
      ------------
      My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
      My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• MRGTB
        • May 2005

To be fair though Mark, they have changed the pricing stucture for vB3 upgrades now. Have you read it?

Comment

• Shamil.
          • Feb 2008
          • 4.2.X

Originally posted by MRGTB
          To be fair though Mark, they have changed the pricing stucture for vB3 upgrades now. Have you read it?
          And added VAT.
          Shamil Nunhuck, - Radon Systems Ltd.
          VPS + Dedicated Server Hosting and Management
          vBulletin Hosting and Services
          Server / Website Consultation

Comment

• Mike Anime
            • Oct 2004
            • 3.7.x

Originally posted by deuterium
            And added VAT.
            POINT
            vBulletin 3.X 3 month maintenance pack
            As part of our release of 3.8.6 shortly, the last "bug fix" release of vBulletin 3 series, we have created an option for customers to renew their expired 3 series owned license.

This program is available to anyone who has a vBulletin 3.X "owned" license (i.e. not a leased license) that is either expired or active and it will add an additional 3months from the renewal order date for the following fees:
            • 50 US Dollars
              or
            • 40 Euros
              or
            • 30 GB Pounds

IF your license expired in the 12 months prior to purchasing the extension, as thanks for your valued support, we will add a discount to your purchase:
            • 20 US Dollar discount (i.e. 3 month license extension for 30USD)
              or
            • 15 Euros discount (i.e. 3 month license extension for 25EUR)
              or
            • 10 GB Pounds discount (i.e. 3 month license extension for 20GBP)

These maintenance pack option will be available early next week (week starting July, 12th 2010)

it is great that ib is finally doing this!

COUNTER POINT

this should have been done earlier because now you will have those who only wanted that ^^^^^^ and had to get the vb4 licence just to upgrade to the newest vb3 series to begin with.

i am not flaming vb/ib here just pointing out the fact that there will be backlash over this.
            just NOT from me

the vat issue i commented on in its own thread.

Comment

• shentino
              • Sep 2009

The only thing I don't like about vB is that you have to pay an arm and a leg for it.

200 bucks is macho expensive, though I'm sure that for the right people (heavy hitters in the commercial and industrial sector) it's well worth the money.

I absolutely love the feature set, and if I ever had to write my own forum, vB would definitely be one of the forum systems I'd look to as a model.

It would be nice if one of the uber-old versions of vB were released under an open source license. I think vB would still be profitable as long as the shiny new stuff were kept under lock and key.

Comment

• SelinaK
                • Jul 2010
                • 4.0.x

I've bought vB4 recently and now I found this thread (and the various others). I agree the CMS and Blog is not very excellent (I should buy just the forum and bridge it with something else... but I've already installed, so no return possible), I mean, the editor is somewhat poor for a person spoiled by Wordpress.

But, apart from that, what is so bad with vB4? I see many features I didn't have in phpBB3, or at least without going through an annoying "install" consisting of manually changing the code. There are cool mods like iTrader, or already included ones like the ad management. The social networking features are good too. So, seriously, am I missing something? Is there a monster behind the corner that will come out as soon as I go live?

Comment

• Floris
                  • Dec 2001

To be fair, if you run phpBB and install vBulletin 2.2.1 you will have many features phpBB doesn't have. lol

Comment

• beishe8
                    • Oct 2005
                    • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Floris
                    To be fair, if you run phpBB and install vBulletin 2.2.1 you will have many features phpBB doesn't have. lol
                    To be fair,Floris,if you run vBulletin 4.x and install phpBB3 you will have important features vB 2.x - 4.x doesn't have.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• Floris
                      • Dec 2001

Originally posted by beishe8
                      To be fair,Floris,if you run vBulletin 4.x and install phpBB3 you will have important features vB 2.x - 4.x doesn't have.
                      I went through the phpBB3 list, none come to mind that I consider important features that are lacking in 3.8 of vBulletin.

Comment

• dieKetzer
                        • Jun 2000
                        • 1.1.x

the ability to set a usergroup to moderate a subforum is a huge timesaver on phpbb
                        Into the Void

Comment

• Floris
                          • Dec 2001

I don't need that, or find that interesting enough for me to want to use phpBB3.

Comment

• punchbowl
                            • Nov 2006
                            • 4.0.x

soon

Comment

• DAMINK
                              • Jun 2010

Well i only just stumbled onto this thread.
                              I feel i can add to this.
                              Coming from a MyBB forum to VB only in the last few weeks.
                              Going from FREE to PAID.
                              Well did i get what i paid for?
                              Yes i did.
                              Am i happy with it?
                              Not really. But i am patient and know all bugs etc will be ironed out eventually.
                              As for negativity. Had i not have seen this thread i would not know just how upset some are about the new vb. Scarey really.
                              Has i seen this thread before i purchased then i would have waited. PERIOD.
                              However stuff happens. And i am vb now. Cant do much about that now.

Finally. As for banning and warning etc. I actually have to agree with OP here.
                              Staff need to remain strict and consistent imho.
                              Damn i got banned from mybb.com for six months for getting a warning and then pming the staff asking for another Seriously 6 months.
                              I actually think all forums like this have to deal with it ultimately and its never ending and never will be.
                              FTW Forum <- Home of the damned!

Comment

• beishe8
                                • Oct 2005
                                • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Floris
                                I went through the phpBB3 list, none come to mind that I consider important features that are lacking in 3.8 of vBulletin.
                                Someone posted while you were creating your reply.

Make folders for your PMs from your Inbox
                                Make folders for PMs from your Sent Items.

Perhaps they are not important for you.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...