Mp3 or Minidisc

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anscoop
    • Jul 2000

uhhh, minidiscs have a roughly 6:1 compression, developed by Sony, named Adaptive Transform Acoustic Coding
    one minidisc actually holds only approx. 140 megabytes of data

Comment

• Prolex
      • Jul 2001

hmm..seems that most people would go for an mp3 player...I just wish the one I was looking @ had a lithium battery instead of rechargable alkalines..

Comment

• Fred
        • Jun 2000
        • 3.5.0 Pre-Release

Mp3 player because you can also import to your car if you have a mp3 player there too

Comment

• Mark Hewitt
          • Apr 2000
          • 4.1.x

MiniDiscs are by far the best, I have one.

You don't need a computer to use one, just a line output from a CD player and you are away.

I've no idea how much the memory things are for MP3 players but they can't be cheaper than MiniDiscs which are about £1.50 each and you can get 300 minutes on them. So you can put an entire double album on one disc very easily.

Plus if you want more music, record more discs, it's very easy. Also the battery life at least on my model is excellent. I've played it for 48 hours straight before with no problems.
          Motorsport Forums

Comment

• Goldfinger
            • Jan 2001

Dont you have to change it from digital recording to analog to get it to have 300 minutes per disk? cause with mine i can only get it to record 70 minutes with digital recording =\

[500th post half way there]

Comment

• Mark Hewitt
              • Apr 2000
              • 4.1.x

Yeah I think if you use direct digital optical copying then you get 74/80min per disc.

However I don't have an optical output only my sound card so I usually record at LP2 (i.e. 2x space). Is there any loss of sound quality - no!
              Motorsport Forums

Comment

• Goldfinger
                • Jan 2001

lol i use my Playstation 2 or my Laptop to when i make my minidiscs they both got optical plugs

Comment

• Stallion
                  • Apr 2000

Originally posted by Fred
                  Mp3 player because you can also import to your car if you have a mp3 player there too
                  They've had car minidisc players for a while now, which from my expereience are a lot cheaper than their MP3 counterparts.

Comment

• Stallion
                    • Apr 2000

Originally posted by Mark Hewitt
                    I've no idea how much the memory things are for MP3 players but they can't be cheaper than MiniDiscs which are about £1.50 each and you can get 300 minutes on them. So you can put an entire double album on one disc very easily.
                    The MP3CD players allow you to use normal CDR/W's to record media onto. Where else can you get 12 hours of music on $0.25 cents of media?

Comment

• Mark Hewitt
                      • Apr 2000
                      • 4.1.x

Hmm. But how much music can you actually carry with you when you are out and about with your MP3 player?
                      Motorsport Forums

Comment

• Stallion
                        • Apr 2000

One CD alone, kept in the CD drive, plays a good 10-15 hours of music... ;-)

Comment

• IanMFT
                          • Mar 2001

Originally posted by Stallion
                          One CD alone, kept in the CD drive, plays a good 10-15 hours of music... ;-)
                          Even longer depending on what bitrate you encode at.

I dont have golden ears or anything, but I cant stand anything lower then 256kbps (lame with r3mix switch). ATRAC (minidisk) compression to me is inferior sounding as it sounds all washed out for me. Meh, to each his own i guess

I still say iPod or MP3 player. You can always use a tape to CD adapter to play the mp3 player in your car.

Comment

• Prolex
                            • Jul 2001

hmmm...Are the CD/mp3 players any good? You can fit a lot of mp3's onto a CD so in affect wouldn't it be better?

Comment

• chrispadfield
                              • Aug 2000

I think the cd-r mp3 players sort of defeat the point, they are so big. What i want in a mp3 player is something small.

I would love to get the sony mp3 player, it is tiny and uses sony memory sticks which are tiny as well and coming down in price. Problem is it only support their secure protection thing and requires more expensive memory sticks. Very annoying.
                              Christopher Padfield
                              Web Based Helpdesk
                              DeskPRO v3.0.3 Released - Download Demo Now!

Comment

• Prolex
                                • Jul 2001

Well I'm definitly not going to go for the Nomad Creative Jukebox after reading this article

It's unbelievable..If I bought a standard set of Duracell Batteries I would only get 10 minutes of play time before I needed more..that's sad..really sad...

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...