Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Prolex
    • Jul 2001

Mp3 or Minidisc

I've got about 600 dollars (Canadian Dollars) to spend on an mp3 player or mindisc.. I really can't decided which one to pick.. I looked at the Creative Nomad Juekbox 6gig mp3 player. It looked really good but then I read a few review and I heard the battery life was crap. They say you should get 3-5 hours off the rechargable alkaline batteries but apparently most peopel were only getting 2.. Then all the other mp3 players only come about 128 megs of storage..I need WAY more than that....even 256 megs wouldn't do me..

Then I started looking @ minidisc players...they are much smaller (Fit in my pocket) and they look to have good battery life..but I was wondering what are the pros and cons of a MiniDisc..The disc themselves look pretty inexpensive.

So What I'd like to know is if you've had any personal experiences with mindiscs or mp3 players and which one would you reccomend and why?
  • petermw
    • May 2001

Id stay with the MP3 player. Minidiscs are cool, but like you said, you have to buy them. Im guessing that MP3 players like the ipod will be available for PC's reltively soon. I think it's one of those wait-a-few-months purchases. Even though Im sure youd rather have it now!

Comment

• Stallion
      • Apr 2000

Minidiscs are really only for audiophiles, or anyone who insists on perfect quality sound. I'd recommend an MP3 player:
      1) its easy to transfer your, albeit illegal, music onto
      2) you can fit a lot more space...minidiscs top out at an hour or two
      3) they have MP3CD players, which let you burn a normal CDR/W full of MP3s in data format, meaning you can get 700MB of music (~200 songs) on a quarter's worth of media.

Comment

• Jake Bunce
        • Dec 2000
        • 3.6.x

i just sing to myself

Comment

• Prolex
          • Jul 2001

Thanks For the Advice...I think I may go with the mp3 Player..Just wish I could get better battery life out of the mp3 player I'm looking @...oh well...

Also I don't believe I have any "illeagel" mp3's..Almost all of the stuff I have is ripped from CD's that I own...

Comment

• Jake Bunce
            • Dec 2000
            • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Prolex
            Also I don't believe I have any "illeagel" mp3's..Almost all of the stuff I have is ripped from CD's that I own...
            good thing to, cos mp3 files have a call home feature that contact the record company.

Comment

• Prolex
              • Jul 2001

Originally posted by Jakeman

good thing to, cos mp3 files have a call home feature that contact the record company.
              right....

Comment

• Goldfinger
                • Jan 2001

I have a minidisc player and i love it . I would request it to anyone. But in all reality i would rather have a mp3 player because they hold more songs and are smaller plus you dont have to buy the minidiscs which arent very cheap i may add..

Comment

• Nicholas Brown
                  • Oct 2000
                  • 1.1.x

I have a portable minidisc (and one on my hifi) - Im about to dump the prtable one for an MP3 Player

Most of my music is in MP3 format and transfering it over to minidisc when I wanna listen to it on the bus is a pain in the ass

Comment

• Goldfinger
                    • Jan 2001

same i got a mini-disc on my stereo.. so i am also gonna dump mine for a mp3 player

Comment

• IanMFT
                      • Mar 2001

/me chants

iPod iPod!

There is software coming out that will alow you to use iPod with windows machines. It is expensive, but it is prossibly the coolest device on the market.

Honestly, as much as I hate apple, OSX and the iPod are amazing products.

Anyway, stay away from minidisk which IMHO has crappy sounding compression. LAME encoded mp3s with the -r3mix switch produces amazingly high quality mp3s.

Comment

• Stallion
                        • Apr 2000

Minidiscs have no compression whatsoever, hence the small storage amounts, so I'm not sure what crappy sounding compression you're referring to...

Comment

• Jake Bunce
                          • Dec 2000
                          • 3.6.x

Originally posted by IanMFT
                          /me chants

iPod iPod!

There is software coming out that will alow you to use iPod with windows machines. It is expensive, but it is prossibly the coolest device on the market.

Honestly, as much as I hate apple, OSX and the iPod are amazing products.

Anyway, stay away from minidisk which IMHO has crappy sounding compression. LAME encoded mp3s with the -r3mix switch produces amazingly high quality mp3s.
                          agreed

Comment

• Goldfinger
                            • Jan 2001

um.. minidisc has incredible sound i have no clue what you are talking about.. it records digitally which makes the sound perfect. They are just like mini-cd's.
                            Last edited by Goldfinger; Sat 15 Dec '01, 12:44am.

Comment

• Nicholas Brown
                              • Oct 2000
                              • 1.1.x

Originally posted by Goldfinger
                              um.. minidisc has incrediable sound i have no clue what you are talking about.. it records digitally which makes the sound perfect. They are just like mini-cd's.
                              I actually cant badmouth the sound quality of Minidiscs - they're excellant, but they arent what I need any more - mp3s are

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...