Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dean C
    • Mar 2002
    • 3.5.x

Sorry MRGTB, I can't hear you over the sound of no noise coming from my Intel X25-M
    Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

• anthonyparsons
      • Mar 2005

I was looking at the PCI, 1TB SSD's today... lovely idea, yet just way too expensive. I think all my media files will be remaining on conventional drives for a bit longer yet.

Comment

• Freezerator
        • May 2002
        • 3.6.x

I like the new "hybrid" drives that are showing up. Good speeds wich a nice price tag.
        Dutch vBullletin users social group!

Comment

• ChopSuey
          • Apr 2009

May i ask what an SSD is?

Comment

• Dean C
            • Mar 2002
            • 3.5.x

Originally posted by anthonyparsons
            I was looking at the PCI, 1TB SSD's today... lovely idea, yet just way too expensive. I think all my media files will be remaining on conventional drives for a bit longer yet.
            It's a complete waste of money using SSD for storage IMO. Just use it for your main OS drive as you'll enjoy the benefits of fast random read/write's more on an SSD which is what an OS does.

Comment

• anthonyparsons
              • Mar 2005

That sounds pretty much like my original thoughts on all this Dean... just thought I would look to see... what a shock I got... thanks for confirming.

Ak... Solid State Drive (SSD) Similar to your RAM, as that is solid state, no moving parts, except they have just worked out how to expand it to provide usable space. I believe the original idea of them was for notebooks, as they have the worst I/O typically due to the compact restrictions, so using an SSD (also being extremely compact) vastly improves their performance. But now they are becoming more wide spread as desktop drives, they are silent, next to no heat generated, extremely fast compared to any SATA or SCSI drive on the market. Think a spinning disk drive... you have limits on how fast the disk can spin and then it must locate the data and extract it. Well, with an SSD, all of this is reduced to near instantaneous times just how RAM works, as nothing requires to spin in order to find, thus the retrieval times are in fractions of a millisecond, which provides the vastly improved speed enhancements to the user.

An example, my notebook just halved the starting and shutdown times by swapping out the spinning disk and replacing it with an SSD, but the actual program opening improved in speed by double, if not triple. I can click on the chunkiest of programs, ie. Adobe Fireworks CS4, and it will open near instantly due to the reduced access times, and on a notebook of all systems. My 15k SCSI, Quad core I am sitting on right now, can't open it as fast as the notebook with SSD can. One of my other systems which is a recent quad core and I have converted to SSD... lighting fast regardless how much I run at once.

The real geeks here could most likely elaborate on the basics... but I believe it pretty much has everything to do with the access and seek times, which are all pretty much reduced to near nothing with SSD. You have to think beyond just the improvement from the SSD itself though, as with no heat being dissipated from them, this then changes the performance curve for chipsets, battery life and other aspects within notebooks / desktops, as they are effected by heat. If your OS drive isn't generating any heat by running, then your CPU and battery life (for notebooks) is also going to improve.

Added: George (Eva) mentioned on the first page of this thread, that if your also using a new board that is running the new SATA III, then your SSD read / write times will vastly improve again due to the boards physical improvements from SATA II to SATA III
              Last edited by anthonyparsons; Thu 27 May '10, 2:19pm.

Comment

• MRGTB
                • May 2005

I've just been looking over at SCAN to check the prices out. I use SATA 80GB HD's by Seagate here (4) in total. But I see I can buy a SDD 80GB by Intel for under £170 from SCAN here: http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/80GB-...ite-70MB-s-OEM

Not bad really all things considered. I paid that for the 80GIG SATA drives years ago when that was a new thing.

Comment

• anthonyparsons
                  • Mar 2005

Oh yer... the prices are coming down, but you have to also factor in what has been previously stated in this thread, as the cheaper brands do have some failure issues which shouldn't be occurring.

US - OCZ 120Gb - US$330 : http://www3.shopping.com/xPO-OCZ-OCZ...SSD2-1VTXT120G
                  AUS - OCZ 120Gb - AUD$615 : http://store.9289.com.au/index.php?m...oducts_id=4962

Same company, completely stupid pricing. No wonder its just cheaper to shop overseas and have it mailed or do a little comparison shopping to find it at the more reasonable price, ie: http://www.myshopping.com.au/PR--331...id_State_Drive same product now at AUD$469 which is a bit closer with the conversion rate and then having the product local obviously under guarantee laws that are easily accessible for replacement.

Dean does make a good point though, in that you don't really need them for storage, but more the OS and programs themselves... until the point they decrease in price enough that storage is more affordable with them.

You also need to research the actual specs on each though, as they change drastically for read / write abilities and more so, access times. A slight variation between size, type or brand can see double the improvement for the same / similar price. They ARE NOT created equally.
                  Last edited by anthonyparsons; Thu 27 May '10, 8:04pm.

Comment

• Dean C
                    • Mar 2002
                    • 3.5.x

Originally posted by MRGTB
                    I've just been looking over at SCAN to check the prices out. I use SATA 80GB HD's by Seagate here (4) in total. But I see I can buy a SDD 80GB by Intel for under £170 from SCAN here: http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/80GB-...ite-70MB-s-OEM

Not bad really all things considered. I paid that for the 80GIG SATA drives years ago when that was a new thing.
                    Don't go with scan. They are rip off merchants and their customer support is AWFUL. Find the cheapest price you can for the drive, and drop an email to aria.co.uk asking if they will pricematch. I've had great experiences with one of the guys there in getting the best price for hardware

Comment

• MRGTB
                      • May 2005

Oh I don't know Dean. I bought all my parts from SCAN to build my custom computer a few years ago, going there in person each time. I got to know the people working there quite well because they was genuinely interested in how my "MONSTER PC" was shaping-up. They did help me out with some good deals on a few items, they looked after me well I'd say. I found their customer support great, the tech lads who sure know their stuff and build the custom SCAN PC's sold, many times gave me advice on things like the right corsair memory designed to be used specificity with my motherboard, and the best graphics cards out then for the price (not necessarily the most expensive) ones.

I'm not that keen on Aria myself, it's all mail order unlike Scan. I used to deliver there also in a job I had previously, so know how they run and operate the show at Aria.

Comment

• anthonyparsons
                        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Freezerator
                        I like the new "hybrid" drives that are showing up. Good speeds wich a nice price tag.
                        Hybrid drives are still limited to Vista and Windows7, are they not?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...