How many vbulletin users are logged into IM while browsing forums?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alfa1
    • Dec 2005
    • 3.8.x

Computer Chat How many vbulletin users are logged into IM while browsing forums?

Im wondering what percentage of internet users are logged into IM while browsing the net. Does anyone know?
    And more specifically: does anyone have a clue what percentage of forum users are logged into IM while browsing forum?

I think this question is important, because I suspect that IB is leaving a huge opportunity open, by not making use of Instant Messaging networks.
    I buy 420 forums
  • Mike Anime
    • Oct 2004
    • 3.7.x

i am ALWAYS on windows live messenger when my pc is on, wich is all the time only time the pc is off is when i clean it or a reboot after dumping my temp files.

Comment

• anthonyparsons
      • Mar 2005

I don't go near them nowadays, as I would log on and would be wasting countless hours with IM messages and then people wanting to contact me to chat live, whilst I had more important things to do. So I steer clear of them as much as possible. When I installed an IM into one of my forum installs, I actually wiped my friends list as it works on that basis, then only relisted a handful of people I actually wanted to chat with and knew not to bother me unless it was important.

I see them as a time waster myself... though still they very much have an excellent means of quick, live, communication.

Comment

• ChopSuey
        • Apr 2009

Im online when i want to be.

Comment

• Joe Gronlund
          • Nov 2001
          • 3.8.x

1995-1996 24/7
          MCSE, MVP, CCIE
          Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

• MRGTB
            • May 2005

Originally posted by anthonyparsons
            I don't go near them nowadays, as I would log on and would be wasting countless hours with IM messages and then people wanting to contact me to chat live, whilst I had more important things to do. So I steer clear of them as much as possible. When I installed an IM into one of my forum installs, I actually wiped my friends list as it works on that basis, then only relisted a handful of people I actually wanted to chat with and knew not to bother me unless it was important.

I see them as a time waster myself... though still they very much have an excellent means of quick, live, communication.
            I agree with that, years ago I went with the idea that I thought it would be great to have a chatroom installed on your forum. Truth is though, they don't get used by your forum members. They are good for "staff live discussion" behind the scene - just like you said.

But apart from that, they'll do nothing for your forum board as a whole. And will just remain unused 99.9% of the time.
            Last edited by MRGTB; Sun 23 May '10, 3:01pm.

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
              vBulletin Support
              • Aug 2002
              • 5.7.X

I have Skype on when I'm online but the only contacts I have are vB/IB staff and my partner (from when I didn't live with her) and my brother who lives in the US. Other than that, no...
              Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
              - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• Ryan Ashbrook
                • May 2003

Generally, if I'm online for long periods of time, I'm on MSN. And now I'm using Skype more so I can communicate with the rest of the vBPT team.

I also have MSN and Skype on my phone if I need to jump online really quick, but I'm not near my computer.
                Ryan Ashbrook - My Blog - My Twitter

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...