Could this be why vBulletin is beginning to appear ignominious?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Webshepherd
    • Mar 2008
    • 3.6.x

Share the Love Could this be why vBulletin is beginning to appear ignominious?

If I could describe working for Internet Brands, it is like working for the "biggest Internet startup company" you could find. You can wear flip flops to work, hours are flexible, it is a fun enjoyable working environment with some of the greatest "Internet minds" to challenge you. Expect our CEO, Bob to know your name, and also for him to come up and chat with you in an open fashion! Expect your manager (and vice-presidents of the company!) to not be stuck in an office where they can't be found, but in a cubicle next to you where you can chat openly with them. You are also given an amazing amount of freedom and autonomy with your position - but conversely the company has significant financial backing (its publicly listed on NASDAQ: INET), has a lot of resources (have a vBulletin question - walk over and ask the lead developer, Kevin Sours!), a strong financial record (your job shouldn't disappear tomorrow like a lot of start up companies!) and as mentioned around ~550 employees (I think).
    Source: http://www.theadminzone.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=70553

How about flip flops, flexible hours and an amazing amount of freedom and autonomy with your position?

No wonder vBulletin is in such shambles.

I wonder if those providing that "significant financial backing" have taken note what IB has done to vBulletin since the acquisition?

Seriously... I have never in my life of 48 years seen the likes of such a mess that has been created with the premature release of vB4. I am not saying that it has not been good for a few, but overall, there no way you could convince me and whole LOT of other businessmen that vB is not in the worst shape technically than it has EVER been.
  • anthonyparsons
    • Mar 2005

Actually, that is completely incorrect. Google introduced this type of environment, and with absolutely amazing results, other companies are still adopting it. When you make workers feel more comfortable at work, they produce better results, they usually stay longer hours just because they want too, etc etc... the list is huge for the positives. It really shows little negatives for work performance and productivity.

Companies who provide their own childcare facilities, free for staff, cafeterias, bedrooms, showers, gyms, sporting areas, etc etc... all have far greater worker retention, output and profitability as a result. Google workers often willingly work until late into the morning, stay overnight in a room, have spare clothes with them, meals any time they need, very family friendly environment for those with families... more and more companies are accepting their formal models are wrong.

Formal has a time and place, and that's not when your hidden from the public eye / customers walking in the door.

Comment

• Ace
      • Apr 2004
      • 4.2.X

Calling IB 'shameful or contemptible' under a Prefix of 'Share the Love'?

I'm not seeing much love here..
      My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
      vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

• Ryan Ashbrook
        • May 2003

Dunno about you, but I'd rather work somewhere where I was comfortable rather than somewhere I wasn't.

That's just me, though. After all, what do I know, other than actually having been in both situations?
        Ryan Ashbrook - My Blog - My Twitter

Comment

• Ace
          • Apr 2004
          • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Ryan Ashbrook
          Dunno about you, but I'd rather work somewhere where I was comfortable rather than somewhere I wasn't.
          Oh, right.. this.
          My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
          vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

• PsGalaxy91
            • Mar 2010

There's no problem with having a fun place to work. It's better that way.

...but then you better deliver on the goods.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
              vBulletin Technical Support Lead
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by anthonyparsons
              Google introduced this type of environment, and with absolutely amazing results, other companies are still adopting it. When you make workers feel more comfortable at work, they produce better results, they usually stay longer hours just because they want too, etc etc... the list is huge for the positives. It really shows little negatives for work performance and productivity.
              Technology companies have had this type of environment long before Google came around. When I went to my interview for my first programming job, there was a sign by the door that said "Due to broken glass, please wear shoes in the lobby." We didn't even need flipflops. I usually just wore socks because I dislike shoes in general. Also had free soda, gourmet coffee and beer on the premises all the time. The building had an arcarde and a LAN room specifically so people could run DOOM, Warcraft Matches and other games. However our gym was daily basketball games after lunch with the president of the company.
              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Ryan Ashbrook
                • May 2003

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                Technology companies have had this type of environment long before Google came around. When I went to my interview for my first programming job, there was a sign by the door that said "Due to broken glass, please wear shoes in the lobby." We didn't even need flipflops. I usually just wore socks because I dislike shoes in general. Also had free soda, gourmet coffee and beer on the premises all the time. The building had an arcarde and a LAN room specifically so people could run DOOM, Warcraft Matches and other games. However our gym was daily basketball games after lunch with the president of the company.
                Sold. I wanna work for them.

My three favorite weaknesses.
                Ryan Ashbrook - My Blog - My Twitter

Comment

• Dean C
                  • Mar 2002
                  • 3.5.x

I've only worked out of one office that enforced a dress code. I think unless you are working in a business environment dealing with other businesses or customers on a daily basis, as opposed to sitting at a desk surrounded by nerds all day, there's no need to have this kind of dress code. It's far more productive being able to wear your own casual clothes, and feel relaxed in your work environment. We get free mountain dew and pepsi at work which is pretty nice as I have just moved from a country where you have to pay through the roof to import dew
                  Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

• Lynne
                    Former vBulletin Support
                    • Oct 2004

My last job, I used to show up in shorts and sandals (that were always immediately kicked off) all during the summer. People brought their dogs and cats in. At the job before that, I even brought my kids in a couple of times when school was off but I had to work. We used to have beer and grilled hamburgers on the lawn at lunch every once in a while. I'm still in touch with some of these guys and their wives even though I haven't worked there in over ten years. And currently, I'm sitting here in shorts and a tank top with no shoes and working on tickets. Casual Rules!

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
                    vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
                    Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
                    If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• socceronly
                      • Nov 2009
                      • 3.8.x

Clearly IB needs a coding sweatshop with tiny cubicles and a man in a gimp suit walking around flailing people with leather straps. Of course this might actually attract a new kind of dedicated employee.

VB4 is catching up. Get over it.
                      Hmmm. Cheese.

Comment

• Quillz
                        • Nov 2004
                        • 5.0.X

The very relaxed nature of high technology companies is probably one of the many reasons those companies are successful in the first place. No one wants to work where they feel like they're a slave.
                        Forums

Comment

• JamieinNH
                          • May 2004
                          • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Webshepherd
                          How about flip flops, flexible hours and an amazing amount of freedom and autonomy with your position?
                          Actually SAS has been doing this for years, much longer than Google or any other company that I am aware of. Freedom in the workplace has created a place like SAS where it's almost impossible to get a job at because they have zero turnover.

They also have some of the most creative people working for them... Of course people know about Google and other companies because their 'on the web' more than other companies.

This practice isn't what created this mess over at IB... Lack of management.. Lack of honesty... Lack of communication.... and greed is what got them where they are these days....

Jamie

Comment

• anthonyparsons
                            • Mar 2005

Nice Wayne... I think I should have probably worded that a little differently, being Google raised this type of work environment to the public and sector greater than any have done before. Sounds like a pretty good environment to work within.

Comment

• Boofo
                              • Apr 2002
                              • 4.1.x

Well, if that's the case, then why is vbulletin in such a shambles now? If these guys are happy, then we shouldn't have vb4 like it is. Maybe there's too much playing around and not getting things done like they should be?
                              vBulletin - Sometimes, I'm just like, Wow, and then I'm like, Whoa, and then I'm like, Damn.

vBulletin.org's ol' Moderator

I have a lifetime terrorist hunting permit - #091101

chmod a+x /bin/laden -- Allows anyone the permission to execute /bin/laden

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...