X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • worried
    • Dec 2008
    • 4.2.X

Are typos a running gag on the forum?

I'll admit I'm not perfect and I probably misspell words all the time however I see misspellings on numerous titles throughout the forum. Is this because people are having difficulty typing on their phones?
  • beishe8
    • Oct 2005
    • 4.2.X

Originally posted by worried
    I'll admit I'm not perfect and I probably misspell words all the time however I see misspellings on numerous titles throughout the forum. Is this because people are having difficulty typing on their phones?
    They are not able to use their Google speeel checker because of of a bug in vB4.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• Biker
      • Oct 2003

Bear in mind, English is not the primary language of many who post here. I'm willing to give spelling a huge pass.

It's the ones that spell like they're text messaging one of their friends that irritate the hell out of me and make me wish I could stand them at the chalk board.
      I drank WHAT?! - Socrates

Comment

• eJM
        • Sep 2004
        • 3.8.x

For me it's not just a few typos. I get really tore up inside because my forum is supposed to be populated by a lot of professional people. They can't spell, can't punctuate, don't use capital letters and have the most difficult time using the simplest message editor features. Oh, but they sure know how to post smilies. Jeez, it drives me nuts.

When it comes to topic titles, I figure I can edit the topic to correct a spelling error or even occasionally make it a more keyword rich title for search engine optimization. But I really should NOT edit member's posts to make corrections. I don't do any spelling corrections, but it's just too much for me to let the mis-used or lack of use of the quote go unattended. I have to resist the urge to do that, but I have been a miserable failure so far. It got so bad the other night I PMed a member and complained about him not using the quote feature or at least using conventional quote punctuations so people could understand what he typed wasn't his words, but someone else's. He actually does use the quote feature most of the time.

That was a huge mistake and I regret it. I was a total, class A jerk to the guy, even if I passed it off as trying to be magnanimous. I forget sometimes that a message board, even one associated with a profession, is a place it's members should expect to be relaxed and not pressured to be the English major I used to be. I'm sure there are ways to help members use forum features better and I do try to do that. But contrary to my piss-poor decision to do so at times, I think it's wrong to edit a post just because I don't like the spelling mistakes or punctuation. It's certainly not why they let me do my job there (I may own the site, but it's alive only because the members choose to participate on it).

Running gag? I don't know. I s'pose some people talk smack about me for the edits and there are a few who talk smack about those who can't spell or punctuate. Either way, if I want people to feel good about participating, I'm just gonna have to find some tolerance and acceptance.

Jim
        PS: KW, I hope you will accept my apology in the form of this shared experience and caution to all the other forum administrators who frequent this site. I did you wrong and I'm sorry.
        If my post was helpful to you, please take the time to register at my forum and ask a question you've always wanted to know about floors.
        www.TheFloorPro.com

Comment

• ManagerJosh
          • Jun 2002

For me, if there are any grammar or typographical errors, it's usually a result from the lack of sleep. Note the time as well because several of my posts are written at 4AM in the morning
          ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
          Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• borbole
            • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Biker
            Bear in mind, English is not the primary language of many who post here.
            Indeed. At least that is the case for me.

Comment

• Joe Gronlund
              • Nov 2001
              • 3.8.x

I usually spell check once, if its an important email i will run over it again.. Its not always a matter of misspelling, its alot of times a matter of typing very fast, as an example: typing the word reoprt, as in "report" the "o" is infront of the "p" in the word "report" due to very fast typing. Some also double up on the "letterrrs" in a word. Also is common to see "their going too", spelled as "there going too", i do that alot myself..

But yes, some people just don't care, and will spell a word or number of words completely wrong!
              MCSE, MVP, CCIE
              Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

• eJM
                • Sep 2004
                • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Joe Gronlund
                ...Also is common to see "their going too", spelled as "there going too", i do that alot myself..
                This is an example of one of the most misused and misspelled words in the English language. In your sentence above, even your corrected version is wrong. It's "they're going too," as in they are going also. There, their and they're make me absolutely crazy and I wanna fix them almost as bad as a junkie wants to fix a needle in thare vane. I know it's vein.

PS: There's only one period at the end of a sentence, commas go before the end quote and there's no sucha word as "alot."
                If my post was helpful to you, please take the time to register at my forum and ask a question you've always wanted to know about floors.
                www.TheFloorPro.com

Comment

• ericefortner
                  • Apr 2010

The spell-checker also needs to be updated... There are some word that the spell-checker corrected like "searchable" try typing it then the checker won't recognize it as correct rather it suggests us to use "search able, search-able and so on"

Comment

• Joe Gronlund
                    • Nov 2001
                    • 3.8.x

Originally posted by eJM
                    This is an example of one of the most misused and misspelled words in the English language. In your sentence above, even your corrected version is wrong. It's "they're going too," as in they are going also. There, their and they're make me absolutely crazy and I wanna fix them almost as bad as a junkie wants to fix a needle in thare vane. I know it's vein.

PS: There's only one period at the end of a sentence, commas go before the end quote and there's no sucha word as "alot."
                    Ohh i hear you, and I agree with you fully. I do that alot, and have since the dawn of a baud modem.. lol. I rarely will end a sentence with just one period, unless it is an official Corporate letter or blog..

I also rarely use only one exclamation at the end of an interject or exclamation, and it's very common for me to leave a space before the first exclamation !!!
                    MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                    Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...