Has anybody ever tried FIOs internet connection?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • netblix
    • Nov 2008
    • 3.8.x

Computer Chat Has anybody ever tried FIOs internet connection?

How is the speed? Any better than cables or is cables still the king?
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

Fios where available is supposedly amazing, if you have a shot at getting it in your house I'd say you have nothing to lose.

Comment

• steven s
      • Jul 2004
      • 3.8.x

I had FiOS. Very reliable. Good up/down speeds. I miss it!
      Never had cable. DSL now.
      ...steven
      www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
      bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
      "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

Comment

• netblix
        • Nov 2008
        • 3.8.x

I had cable a while back and damn they're good.. that was 7 years ago, not sure about now.

Back then my max Dl was 11MB/sec not bad when you were in 2003 [:

Comment

• hitmancode47
          • Jul 2008
          • 3.8.x

Just have the standard broadband here (8Meg I think)

Just out of curiosity, what is this Fios?
          Jut a random internet person.

A message to all illegal users!

Comment

• beishe8
            • Oct 2005
            • 4.2.X

Originally posted by hitmancode47
            Broadband?

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• netblix
              • Nov 2008
              • 3.8.x

see this:

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                • Aug 2000

Fiber Optics. Theoretically, data can be transmitted at the speed of light so there is no bandwidth limit. Technically and practically, the limits are a lot less.

If you do go with FIOS be sure you want to deal with the company. If you have a standard POTS telephone line still, be aware this replaces that and the only way to get it back is to dig a trench and have the phone company relay copper again. I understand they are installing it in some neighborhoods in my area now but I won't take them up on it since it is Verizon. I'd rather stay with Time-Warner as it is a much better customer experience, in my opinion.
                Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• steven s
                  • Jul 2004
                  • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                  Fiber Optics. Theoretically, data can be transmitted at the speed of light so there is no bandwidth limit. Technically and practically, the limits are a lot less.

If you do go with FIOS be sure you want to deal with the company. If you have a standard POTS telephone line still, be aware this replaces that and the only way to get it back is to dig a trench and have the phone company relay copper again. I understand they are installing it in some neighborhoods in my area now but I won't take them up on it since it is Verizon. I'd rather stay with Time-Warner as it is a much better customer experience, in my opinion.
                  When I switched to FiOS there was no going back to copper. Once they dug up the copper, it was staying in the scrap yard. My experiences with Verizon has always been excellent. The previous cable company was horrible. Comcast is horrible. No experience with Time-Warner.

If I could get FiOS, I'd get it in a heartbeat. I'm hoping for Google to link our town.
                  ...steven
                  www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
                  bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
                  "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

Comment

• Itchy Nips
                    • Jun 2009
                    • 3.8.x

i have Fios now. Its awesome. Much clearer channels. HD is brighter and clearer than cable (I'm comparing it to optimum cable/cablevision). Internet is very fast and very reliable.
                    My only gripe with Fios is the quality of their HD settop boxes. I've had to exchange my HDDVR box twice in 1 year because of various problems. But everything else is great and I wouldn't switch off of it for anything....at least not yet

Just have the standard broadband here (8Meg I think)

as other people already said, its TV, Internet and Phone service via Fiber Optic lines offered by Verizon. Its not new technology by any means (been around for a while) but its *farily* new service by verizon. Which means its not available in every area.

the biggest thing about fios is that the signal is not shared by your neighborhood (like cable is). You have all the bandwith to yourself because the "box" they install is in your house, not down the block.
                    Last edited by Itchy Nips; Fri 26 Mar '10, 7:49am.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by steven s
                      My experiences with Verizon has always been excellent. The previous cable company was horrible. Comcast is horrible. No experience with Time-Warner.
                      I understand that Verizon contracts with regional companies to provide service and technical support. The company they contract with in Southern California is the worst company that I have ever dealt with. Had serious problems with Verizon's DSL service before switching to Cable. The only way it got resolved was through filing written complaints with the California Public Utilities Commission and the FCC. Even with that, they continue to mess up our monthly POTS phone line, often not crediting bill payments for 90 days. Our Satellite DVR is a little old and doesn't work with the internet (hope to upgrade that soon), and the alarm system needs to be upgraded to work with the internet as well. Once both of those are updated, the POTS line is gone. We never use it anyway except for those two devices. Basically, Verizon has lost me as a customer for life.

As I don't need television or phone through a bundled package and I get up to 50 mbps download from Time Warner using their Extreme Package, I don't see the need for FIOS at this time.
                      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Homeworld'sa
                        • Sep 2009
                        • 3.8.x

FiOS sounds like a good ISP, but I have Orange High Speed Broadband. Never had an issue with them (except irritating issues early morning, but I'm never around to notice them )
                        That's it. If you REALLY can't say ANYTHING nice to me at all on this forum, then I am going to go insanely mad at you. I've had enough of the UNTOLD ABUSE you are all giving me and you should really be CONSIDERATE of other people.

Comment

• hitmancode47
                          • Jul 2008
                          • 3.8.x

Thanks for clearing that up Wayne.
                          Jut a random internet person.

A message to all illegal users!

Comment

• Loco.M
                            • Mar 2005
                            • 3.5.x

no fios here, but we're trying to get 1Gbs fiber in Topeka
                            -- Web Developer for hire
                            ---Online Marketing Tools and Articles

Comment

• Dean C
                              • Mar 2002
                              • 3.5.x

Wow you guys pay through the roof for that tech. I'm on 200/10 here in Finland and pay almost half what you pay for FIOS.
                              Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...