X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CK
    Banned
    • Mar 2010

The amount of duplicate threads every day is shocking

Why can't anyone search for existing threads and if they find something relevant but still have some questions then bump the existing one. It makes my eyes bleed when I click what's new and am presented with the same things by different members everyday.

Who's with me?
  • ENF
    • Apr 2002

I covered this somewhere before. The internet has brought the 'give me it now' mentality. A certain percentage of people will quickly create a new thread before a) searching for the answer or b) bothering to read the technical documentation available.

A part of me can't help but wonder what the most repeated technical help question is? I think I've seen scores of questions about how to replace the vBulletin default logo. :P (any many other greats)
    To be updated...

Comment

• Abomination
      • Jul 2008

At least until the vb4 issue came about the rule was everyone should start their own thread. I was told multiple times (when Steve and Wayne were quite active) to start my own thread on a topic even though my issue was virtually identical to an already existing thread.

I've no idea what the guidelines are now.

Comment

• CK
        Banned
        • Mar 2010

Originally posted by ENF
        I covered this somewhere before. The internet has brought the 'give me it now' mentality. A certain percentage of people will quickly create a new thread before a) searching for the answer or b) bothering to read the technical documentation available.

A part of me can't help but wonder what the most repeated technical help question is? I think I've seen scores of questions about how to replace the vBulletin default logo. :P (any many other greats)
        How do I disable CMS keeps popping up

Just bugs the life out of me because there is nothing new to read Ahhhhhhhh

Comment

• Wayne Luke
          vBulletin Technical Support Lead
          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by ChemicalKicks
          Why can't anyone search for existing threads and if they find something relevant but still have some questions then bump the existing one. It makes my eyes bleed when I click what's new and am presented with the same things by different members everyday.
          If you're talking about this site, we would like members to create their own threads for troubleshooting purposes. Even if the error appears to be exactly the same, there can be multiple causes and what works in one scenario might not work in others. Plus often times, the errors are actually different. This is especially true when rather generic errors like MySQL 1064 is involved.

This doesn't mean that customers shouldn't search for a resolution first as there may be one in the different threads. However we don't want them hijacking another customer's thread with their problems.
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
            vBulletin Support
            • Aug 2002
            • 5.7.X

Originally posted by ENF
            I think I've seen scores of questions about how to replace the vBulletin default logo. :P (any many other greats)
            There was a spate of that so I created this:

Loads to do with which StyleVar too and some database errors are pretty common...
            Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
            - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• IB Adrian
              Former Senior Operations Manager
              • Jul 2008
              • 3.6.x

Originally posted by chemicalkicks
              why can't anyone search for existing threads and if they find something relevant but still have some questions then bump the existing one. It makes my eyes bleed when i click what's new and am presented with the same things by different members everyday.

Who's with me?
              [ATTACH]44069[/ATTACH]

:d
              Last edited by IB Adrian; Fri 26 Mar '10, 5:28pm.
              Adrian

Comment

• jonsidneyb
                • Mar 2006

removed content.

Nothing really to say at this point.

Comment

• Dean C
                  • Mar 2002
                  • 3.5.x

I think it's pretty ignorant of you to complain about duplicate threads. First of all as Wayne pointed out individual customers may have individual problems and they have every right to post their qualms in their own dedicated thread. There's no rule or law against doing this. Secondly, this highlights an underlying problem in most web user interfaces today. On websites which provide support for their users often no effort is made to automatically find a solution to the users problem. Using some very very basic algorithms you can simply provide a list of possible solutions to the user whilst they type their thread title, and often this can provide the user with their solution without the need to type a new thread. The key point to take from this is to not blame the user's, blame the software.
                  Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

• CK
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Dean C
                    I think it's pretty ignorant of you to complain about duplicate threads. First of all as Wayne pointed out individual customers may have individual problems and they have every right to post their qualms in their own dedicated thread. There's no rule or law against doing this. Secondly, this highlights an underlying problem in most web user interfaces today. On websites which provide support for their users often no effort is made to automatically find a solution to the users problem. Using some very very basic algorithms you can simply provide a list of possible solutions to the user whilst they type their thread title, and often this can provide the user with their solution without the need to type a new thread. The key point to take from this is to not blame the user's, blame the software.
                    Jesus, get your own thread!

Comment

• cbiweb
                      • Apr 2004
                      • 4.1.x

Jesus is here?
                      ~ Life isn't always fair, but you can be. ~

Comment

• CK
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2010

Originally posted by cbiweb
                        Jesus is here?
                        Aye, he posted above me. I could tell it was him despite the name because of his self-righteous tone

Comment

• Dean C
                          • Mar 2002
                          • 3.5.x

Aye, he posted above me. I could tell it was him despite the name because of his self-righteous tone
                          Having knowledge in usability and understanding the psychology behind internet UX makes me self-righteous? I would prefer to be this than ignorant
                          Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

• Abomination
                            • Jul 2008

get your own thread!

That is hilarious! (considering the topic)

Comment

• CK
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Abomination

That is hilarious! (considering the topic)
                              Humour isn't lost on you then

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...