What do I look for when buying RAM?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • harmor
    • Aug 2003

Computer Chat What do I look for when buying RAM?

I recently bought Windows 7 64-bit and I'm looking to buy more RAM. I just don't remember what to look for.

Do I look for ram that matches "PC2-5300" or do I look for ram that runs at the same clock speed "333mhz"?
  • icarusforde
    • Feb 2009
    • 3.8.x

Is your RAM DDR2? DDR? DDR3? It should only really matter what sort of Ram it is with that... Cause DDR2 don't work in a DDR slot (been there, done that... >.<)

But yeah, match the DDR and you should be fine. Also check your motherboard for the max supported ram to make sure you don't buy excess RAM

Comment

• ManagerJosh
      • Jun 2002

@icarusdude - You do realize he said he had DDR2 right?

@harmor - what sort of rig are you upgrading? Business Rig? Gaming Rig? What's your budget like as well?
      ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
      Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• icarusforde
        • Feb 2009
        • 3.8.x

Where? Am i going blind due to lack of sleep, or am i missing something that's implied somewhere else?

It's probably a combo of both...

Comment

• ManagerJosh
          • Jun 2002

PC2-5300 = DDR2-667 memory
          ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
          Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• icarusforde
            • Feb 2009
            • 3.8.x

Oh... yeah, i missed that bit. Answering questions on 4 hours of sleep over the last two days probably isnt good... But camps ftw.

Comment

• harmor
              • Aug 2003

Originally posted by ManagerJosh

@harmor - what sort of rig are you upgrading? Business Rig? Gaming Rig? What's your budget like as well?
              I already have a decent computer. I'm only looking to upgrade the memory from 4gb to maybe 8gb.

I just look for ddr2-667 memory?

Edit: So these should be fine? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-098-_-Product

Comment

• ManagerJosh
                • Jun 2002

j/w does your motherboard support 8GB?

Comment

• harmor
                  • Aug 2003

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
                  j/w does your motherboard support 8GB?
                  I'm not sure. It came with a 64bit processor. I've tried searching google but to no avail. Here is the mother board I'm using N61PB-M2S

Comment

• ManagerJosh
                    • Jun 2002

Originally posted by harmor
                    I'm not sure. It came with a 64bit processor. I've tried searching google but to no avail. Here is the mother board I'm using N61PB-M2S
                    Does either of these look right?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...