• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mike Anime
    • Oct 2004
    • 3.7.x

Originally posted by beishe8
    The new licensing system did it.
    People would be still happily using 3.8,downloading the improved 3.9 with the old renewal system, while playing with 4 Alpha.

i don't like the new way as much as i thought i did seeing they are pushing out product before it is ready.

Comment

• ManagerJosh
      • Jun 2002

Originally posted by Mike Anime
      i don't like the new way as much as i thought i did seeing they are pushing out product before it is ready.
      Not to mention it's at a very similar pace to before.
      ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
      Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• InfoNirvana
        • Apr 2007
        • 4.2.X

Originally Posted by JonnyThunder
        Like I said before though, people are quick to post when something is wrong - but very unlikely to post if something is right.

Originally posted by Reeve of Shinra
        You're kidding right? Do you know how many vocal supporters vbulletin used to have? Were you around on this site or other admin sites where we (yes I was one of them) would reap endless praise on vbulletin whenever a discussion about which forum software to use came up? I think it was Feldon who said that vbulletin had fans on par with Apple and Google. While the volume of fans might not be the comparable, the frevor of the fan base is.
        VERY good point. Your best chance of another sale is a current customer talking to a potential customer.
        That may be gone ?

Comment

• BBR-APBT
          • Nov 2005

Originally posted by beishe8
          The new licensing system did it.
          People would be still happily using 3.8,downloading the improved 3.9 with the old renewal system, while playing with 4 Alpha.
          One step back from the management and presently bitter people would become supporter again.
          No one forced you to upgrade. You could of stayed running 3.8 your the one who rushed out to upgrade if you did. No one forced you.
          My statements are based on the forums not the CMS as I do not and will not use it.
          If I wanted faulty software I would code it my self. When I pay I expect to get what is advertised. I do not feel I got what I paid for.
          In an honest opinion I feel I paid for vB 5.0 beta 7

Comment

• s0lidgr0und
            • May 2007
            • 3.6.x

Originally posted by BBR-APBT
            No one forced you to upgrade. You could of stayed running 3.8 your the one who rushed out to upgrade if you did. No one forced you.
            Very true. That's why I held off upgrading until I saw Gold. In the past, once I saw Gold, I knew the product was fully functional and I could finally start making it what I wanted it to be. Sadly, I've spent a decent amount of time repairing things and haven't really had the desire to customize anything.
            s.molinari - I would like to ask all customers to definitely feedback issues with the software and be specific with the issues, but to basically suck-up what happened in the past and try to just look forward.

Comment

• ManagerJosh
              • Jun 2002

Originally posted by BBR-APBT
              That's not entirely true. Sooner or later, some may have to consider upgrading to 4.0 series only because it became a necessary evil. Especially if vBulletin 3.8 becomes end of lifed and a huge security concern comes out of no where, now what? INET has no intentions of releasing a security patch because it's EOLed. Your only "alternative" is to upgrade to vBulletin 4 or wait for a third-party patch.
              ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
              Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• BBR-APBT
                • Nov 2005

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
                That's not entirely true. Sooner or later, some may have to consider upgrading to 4.0 series only because it became a necessary evil. Especially if vBulletin 3.8 becomes end of lifed and a huge security concern comes out of no where, now what? INET has no intentions of releasing a security patch because it's EOLed. Your only "alternative" is to upgrade to vBulletin 4 or wait for a third-party patch.
                You said the key words Sooner or later You can wait till later when most of the bugs are fixed. 3.8 will not be EOL'ed for some time.
                No one forced any one to try 4.0 on a live site. So to have errors on a live site is no ones fault either. I tested it on a dev site and fixed all my bugs. Then I put it live.
                I am not pointing at you exactly just people in general. People do not have to use vB4 at this time. It will be some time before you are forced to.
                At this point if there is a exploit released for 3.8 they will release a patch. If in the future when 3.8 is EOL'ed with so many people still using it and a exploit is released. I am sure people will post a fix on vBulletin.org or somewhere.
                I am sure you will find a fix in google just as well as the exploit.
                My statements are based on the forums not the CMS as I do not and will not use it.
                If I wanted faulty software I would code it my self. When I pay I expect to get what is advertised. I do not feel I got what I paid for.

Comment

• Reeve of Shinra
                  • Sep 2001

That doesn't resolve the issue of those of us who PAID ALREADY for vb4.
                  Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

• BBR-APBT
                    • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Reeve of Shinra
                    That doesn't resolve the issue of those of us who PAID ALREADY for vb4.
                    You can still use 3.8 No this does not fix the problem. But its a option.
                    If you wanted to use 2.0 for your site you would still have to buy 3.0 if that is what was out at the time.

Comment

• tgillespie
                      • Dec 2002
                      • 3.7.x

It looks as if IB has successfully demolished the vBulletin name. What a shame.
                      Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment

• bforum
                        • Dec 2007
                        • 4.0.x

i.m. happy with vb after all

thats all

bye all !!

Comment

• beishe8
                          • Oct 2005
                          • 4.2.X

Originally posted by bforum
                          i.m. happy with vb after all

thats all

bye all !!
                          Don't Worry, Be Happy

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• s0lidgr0und
                            • May 2007
                            • 3.6.x

I won't applaud anything just yet. This version has caused me to do more work to attain basic functionality. Now that I have my board 90% of where I want it, the patch is sort of being forced onto me because there was a patch released for 4.0.1 and 4.0.2, but the way to patch 4.0.1 is to upgrade to 4.0.2 PL1. That's not a patch. That's a forced upgrade to a version I'm not 100% happy with .
                            s.molinari - I would like to ask all customers to definitely feedback issues with the software and be specific with the issues, but to basically suck-up what happened in the past and try to just look forward.

Comment

• cobro
                              • Feb 2006
                              • 3.5.x

Originally posted by JonnyThunder
                              Actually yes I do.

I've been a developer in PHP for quite a number of years and now write software for iPod / iPhone. I know only too well how difficult it is to test a large application without it being in a real life environment. I agree that V4.0 was released when it wasn't ready but the current version is easily stable regardless of the various bugs that still remain. I'd imagine that the early release of VB4 will be something the staff will learn from for future versions because nobody likes bad press.

I'm also well aware that it's SO much easier for the general public to consistently comment on how bad something is, but rarely comment on the good. Don't forget that for the hundred bugs which still remain, there are thousands and thousands of things which DO work. But despite this, people still choose to whine and moan about how unfair it is. Wah wah wah. I want my money back. Wah wah wah. Suck it up big boy... this is just how software development goes.

So like I said before - WELL DONE VBULLETIN STAFF.
                              Could not agree more

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...