Well done vBulletin staff!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JonnyThunder
    • May 2003

Share the Love Well done vBulletin staff!

I've got to admit - I was in the line with lots of other people who just thought that the first release of VB4 was a bit duff. And in all fairness, it contained too many bugs to be a gold release. However, I think that since the last release it's become a whole bunch better and thought it was only fair to congratulate you on a great product.

Okay so it's still got lots of small bugs and there are hosts of people still moaning about this or that, but considering the size of the project it's no more buggy than any Microsoft product on release day.

So thanks to all who put in (and continue to put in) the hard work to make this product no. 1.

Peace out!
    JT
  • ipzone2
    • Feb 2008

I can only assume this is a very dry joke

on the 12th Don added this to the bottom of the 4.0.1 announcement ....

Just after he tells us about the 232 bugs that will be fixed in 4.0.1 from what was claimed to be a Gold release ie 4.0.0

We are currently working on 4.0.2 and this should be released in 2 to 3 weeks. Here is a list of fixes that have already been completed for 4.0.2:

• [Ads] Quote and Advert in First post content
    • [Search] "Find All Threads" by person
    • [IE6] All remaining IE 6 Compatibility issues
    • [CSS] CSS Caching Bugs
    • [BB Codes] BB Codes tags should count against minimum text requirement
    • [Lightbox] Date and name overlap in the Lightbox if the picture is relatively small
    • [Tags] Edit Tags Degradation -> You cannot add any tags. Please remove some first.
    • [Fixed Width] Doc Width - bug #35038
    • [Signatures] <p> cannot be used to enclose signatures
    • [Languages] Stripped characters - ä,ö,å
    • [Settings] User link broken in Settings -> New Visitor Messages
    • [Polls] Fixed issue with poll question too long error
    • [Groups]: The "View All Groups" page needs significant improvements
    • [Hook] Hook Member-Action Dropdown items unset problem
    • [Updated UI] User Settings Pages
    • [Updated UI] Registration Screens
    • [Updated UI] Advanced Search Pages
    • [Updated UI] Moderation Pop-up Menu
    • [CMS Query Count] Reducing CMS Query Count - Phase 2
    • [Language Support] Additional Charset Support
    • [CMS Import] CMS Impex [Beta]
    • (new) [CMS] Articles can be sorted "Alphabetically", "
    • (new) [CMS] Added Pagination to Section Pages. Pagination replaces the "View All" link.
    • And about 100 more bugs.

And you want to applaud that ?

Comment

• JonnyThunder
      • May 2003

Originally posted by ipzone2
      And you want to applaud that ?
      Actually yes I do.

I've been a developer in PHP for quite a number of years and now write software for iPod / iPhone. I know only too well how difficult it is to test a large application without it being in a real life environment. I agree that V4.0 was released when it wasn't ready but the current version is easily stable regardless of the various bugs that still remain. I'd imagine that the early release of VB4 will be something the staff will learn from for future versions because nobody likes bad press.

I'm also well aware that it's SO much easier for the general public to consistently comment on how bad something is, but rarely comment on the good. Don't forget that for the hundred bugs which still remain, there are thousands and thousands of things which DO work. But despite this, people still choose to whine and moan about how unfair it is. Wah wah wah. I want my money back. Wah wah wah. Suck it up big boy... this is just how software development goes.

So like I said before - WELL DONE VBULLETIN STAFF.

Comment

• Mike Anime
        • Oct 2004
        • 3.7.x

Originally posted by JonnyThunder
        Actually yes I do.

I've been a developer in PHP for quite a number of years and now write software for iPod / iPhone. I know only too well how difficult it is to test a large application without it being in a real life environment. .

one problem is they did not test it in a live envivroment and sureley they could have thrown more stress at it during any testing phase.

Comment

• JonnyThunder
          • May 2003

Originally posted by Mike Anime
          one problem is they did not test it in a live envivroment and sureley they could have thrown more stress at it during any testing phase.
          I couldn't agree more - and this may have made the first version more usable. But as I said, this is something they will likely learn from for future big releases. The point is, the second release (4.0.1) fixed lots of the bugs which made it unusable originally and there are still lots of angry posts on the forums about how it's rubbish. I'd like to see more people supporting the fact that they are getting these bugs fixed (and pretty quickly to be honest).

Comment

• AlexanderT
            • Mar 2003

I know only too well how difficult it is to test a large application without it being in a real life environment.
            You are ignoring the facts. Real life environment or not - fact is, at the point when they released 4.0.1, they were very well aware - and in fact have already supposedly fixed, so they say- more than 100 other bugs, including major issues (see post #2).

But despite this, people still choose to whine and moan about how unfair it is. Wah wah wah. I want my money back. Wah wah wah. Suck it up big boy... this is just how software development goes.
            The only person who is whining here... is you.

Comment

• ipzone2
              • Feb 2008

Don't forget that for the hundred bugs which still remain, there are thousands and thousands of things which DO work. But despite this, people still choose to whine and moan about how unfair it is. Wah wah wah. I want my money back. Wah wah wah. Suck it up big boy... this is just how software development goes.
              Frankly I am amazed by this ...

I hope that IB don't get into producing cars any time soon - @most of it works, the stereo, the gears, the engine is fine, etc etc - and don't worry as we have a roadmap as to when we might get around to fixing the brakes !!!

Also I can assure you that every last dollar I paid up to IB for my 3 licences work just fine on the day I paid them and have been working fine since.

I also find it interesting that you are a software/app developer yourself and still think this kind of thing is ok, Please could we have a list of products you are currently working on as I want to make VERY sure I don't end up buying one of them.

Comment

• Joe Gronlund
                • Nov 2001
                • 3.8.x

No Gold release of any complex product will have [Zero Bugs] on that note, no release of any complex product will have [Zero Bugs] You fix a bug, you possibly create on adv, 3-10 more...
                Last edited by Joe Gronlund; Sun 24 Jan '10, 7:15am.
                MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

• JonnyThunder
                  • May 2003

Originally posted by AlexanderT
                  You are ignoring the facts. Real life environment or not - fact is, at the point when they released 4.0.1, they were very well aware - and in fact have already supposedly fixed, so they say- more than 100 other bugs, including major issues (see post #2).
                  What's your point? They are fixing the bugs aren't they? And fairly quickly?

I hope that IB don't get into producing cars any time soon - @most of it works, the stereo, the gears, the engine is fine, etc etc - and don't worry as we have a roadmap as to when we might get around to fixing the brakes !!!
                  Well actually, thanks for illustrating my point. How many car manufacturers have released models of cars and then had to recall them for various defects and issues? Go do a search on Google to see how these BIG manufacturers of ALL types of car have had to recall them at some stage or another. (click here for more info)

I also find it interesting that you are a software/app developer yourself and still think this kind of thing is ok, Please could we have a list of products you are currently working on as I want to make VERY sure I don't end up buying one of them.
                  You could buy ANY computer game or application on the market just now for ANY platform and they will still be producing updates and bug fixes for it in a years time because that's how development works. These guys are no different. And as Joe pointed out, for every fix or alteration to code / styling - you have a potential to introduce more bugs.

Comment

• AlexanderT
                    • Mar 2003

What's your point? They are fixing the bugs aren't they? And fairly quickly?
                    Apparently not quick enough - or they would have fixed the most severe and obvious of them before plaguing their customers with the so-called Gold release. That's exactly my point.

Comment

• JonnyThunder
                      • May 2003

Originally posted by AlexanderT
                      Apparently not quick enough - or they would have fixed the most severe and obvious of them before plaguing their customers with the so-called Gold release. That's exactly my point.
                      Which takes me back to my original post where I said....

And in all fairness, it contained too many bugs to be a gold release.
                      But that doesn't change the fact that with the latest release, the software is easily usable despite the bugs which still exist. Yet some people on this forum are making out like it's the forum Armageddon. Come on... this is software. It's going through the same process that all software goes through.

Anyway, this thread was about MY congratulations to the company and unless they poo on my head (or something equally distasteful), I WILL still support them. Just because they released one dodgy version (in years at the top of their game) doesn't mean they've turned evil overnight. Hey... look at Microsoft and Windows Vista... my point perfectly illustrated. We soon forgave them when Windows 7 came out though, didn't we?

Can't we all just.... get along?

Comment

• Mark.B
                        vBulletin Support
                        • Feb 2004
                        • 6.0.X

Originally posted by Joe Gronlund
                        No Gold release of any complex product will have [Zero Bugs] on that note, no release of any complex product will have [Zero Bugs] You fix a bug, you possibly create on adv, 3-10 more...
                        When vb 3.0.0 was released - a complete rewrite - it shipped at Gold with NO known bugs.
                        MARK.B
                        vBulletin Support
                        ------------
                        My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                        My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• JonnyThunder
                          • May 2003

I don't believe that for a second. Mind you - there must have been countless 'unknown' bugs, otherwise we'd have made the jump from 3.0.0 straight to 4.0.0.

Comment

• RadioErewan
                            • Feb 2008
                            • 3.8.x

Can't we all just.... get along?
                            No, I do not like to be treated like a garbage, do you? Promotions from potatoes store.
                            And they did it to me forcing to upgrade, stealing my Blog and PT licenses etc etc. Now I expect them to deliver promised software. No arogance, no "in future versions". I want it now, as it was promised, when they squeezed money from my pocket.
                            Eye for an eye.

Comment

• JonnyThunder
                              • May 2003

Well, I think you should march right on down to their offices and stab them in the face with your razor sharp demands. That'll teach em.

I don't feel I've been treated like garbage. I just see it as 'mass hysteria' or more plainly put 'a bunch of people overreacting to a fairly trivial situation'.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...