Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ManagerJosh
    replied
    Originally posted by vivamexico55
    This has been the common wisdom among admins, but when GERMANY and France (really, whole countries?), Google and Microsoft itself say "Hey, maybe you shouldn't use it", I'm thinking it's going to have SOME effect very soon. Specially when they advise against it because of security flaws that directly affected Google.(who on google has IE6 installed anyway, but whatever).

It's a case of "It was cheaper to stay with IE6, but it might cost us more money if our security is compromised"
    From what my audit friends have told me, it definitely poses a lot of risk, but at the same time deploying brand new systems could be more disruptive and costs a company more than this security concern. If anything, auditors more than likely have cited it as a risk and Systems Administrators, for the most part, have ways of managing those risks.

Leave a comment:

• Yves R.
    replied
    Unfortunately, a lot of companies are using IE6 today... :/

Leave a comment:

• aussiefooty
    replied
    It's not just that IE6 is old but many people use it.

IE as a browser is free fyi as are Mozilla, Opera and Chrome. So it mightn't be a bad time to upgrade your browsers.

Leave a comment:

• vivamexico55
    replied
    Originally posted by ManagerJosh
    How I wish companies would move away from IE6, however, it won't be happening anytime soon, especially with this recent recession. Not many companies are willing to spend billions of dollars just so they can change a web browser.
    This has been the common wisdom among admins, but when GERMANY and France (really, whole countries?), Google and Microsoft itself say "Hey, maybe you shouldn't use it", I'm thinking it's going to have SOME effect very soon. Specially when they advise against it because of security flaws that directly affected Google.(who on google has IE6 installed anyway, but whatever).

It's a case of "It was cheaper to stay with IE6, but it might cost us more money if our security is compromised"

Leave a comment:

• NolFito
    replied
    Originally posted by ManagerJosh
    How I wish companies would move away from IE6, however, it won't be happening anytime soon, especially with this recent recession. Not many companies are willing to spend billions of dollars just so they can change a web browser.
    There are some compeling reasons for corporations to move away from IE6 esecially after the attacks to Google and some other 30 companies last week from China... IT seems the attacked resorted on a pretty serious bug from IE6

Leave a comment:

• MrNase
    replied
    If one of our customers wants to have his website to work in IE6 - it's simple: he has to pay extra.

I hate that piece of junk with such a passion...

Leave a comment:

• ManagerJosh
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Mike Anime
    replied
    Originally posted by Stallyon
    Some people are still using Windows 98 too! Mind boggling!

i know some on 95 still or webtv

Leave a comment:

• Stallyon
    replied
    Some people are still using Windows 98 too! Mind boggling!

Leave a comment:

• lim (x³-7x²) = ∞
    replied
    you should ban it too, your competitors will be happy to accept your ie6 visitors

Leave a comment:

• Bob
    replied
    IE6 is outdated/obsolete software that should never be supported by new technologies.

Leave a comment:

• Reeve of Shinra
    replied
    I hate IE6 with a passion ... but for the time being, I feel vb should at look acceptable under IE6. It doesn't have to have the bells and whistles we would see under IE8, firefox, chrome or safari, but ti should degrade gracefully which it currently does not.

Leave a comment:

• vivamexico55
    started a topic Germany and France (almost) ban IE6

Germany and France (almost) ban IE6

They strongly encourage users to stop surfing with IE6.

France has followed Germany's lead, and has advised computer users to download a different web browser after Microsoft's Internet Explorer was found to contain a critical security flaw.

Also Microsoft itself came out recently and asked everyone to switch away from it.

Do you think vbulletin should too? I personally despise it IE6, and maybe the web should band together and reject that trash software.
widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...