Former vBulletin lead developer Kier Darby to develop new forum software?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MRGTB
    • May 2005

Originally posted by Boofo
    According to what I read on their pricing, they are going to price it around vb and ipb pricing, which doesn't sound very good to me.
    If that's true and XenForo is still seen as being light-weight at that time. That might not be a good decision. I would have expected it to come in well under the price IPB 3 and vB4 are sold for. Then maybe increase over time as it becomes much more powerful, or if it uses add-ons instead like IPB 3 does, just charge an extra price for them to expand it further e.t.c.

But either way, I would have expected the forum software to be cheaper than both IPB 3 and vB4. Mainly to capture many first initial sales. They must know that if they charge around the same price, people will compare it feature for feature against these other two boards sold. And right now it will lose hands down.
    Last edited by MRGTB; Sun 1 Aug '10, 1:42am.

Comment

• Boofo
      • Apr 2002
      • 4.1.x

My thoughts exactly.
      vBulletin - Sometimes, I'm just like, Wow, and then I'm like, Whoa, and then I'm like, Damn.

vBulletin.org's ol' Moderator

I have a lifetime terrorist hunting permit - #091101

chmod a+x /bin/laden -- Allows anyone the permission to execute /bin/laden

Comment

• steven s
        • Jul 2004
        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by MRGTB
        If that's true and XenForo is still seen as being light-weight at that time. That might not be a good decision. I would have expected it to come in well under the price IPB 3 and vB4 are sold for. Then maybe increase over time as it becomes much more powerful, or if it uses add-ons instead like IPB 3 does, just charge an extra price for them to expand it further e.t.c.

But either way, I would have expected the forum software to be cheaper than both IPB 3 and vB4. Mainly to capture many first initial sales. They must know that if they charge around the same price, people will compare it feature for feature against these other two boards sold. And right now it will lose hands down.
        Increase price over time?
        Then you have people whining that the price has already gone up.

The market will determine the price.
        You get what you pay for. Well, in the real world anyway.
        There is no reason to offer a license for less than IPB or vB.
        A low price will just mean more users and require more support.
        They already said it would be competitive.
        No one has to use xF, just as no one has to use vB or IPB.

Edit: Maybe IB will need to lower their prices.
        ...steven
        www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
        bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
        "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

Comment

• Boofo
          • Apr 2002
          • 4.1.x

Originally posted by steven s
          Increase price over time?
          Then you have people whining that the price has already gone up.

The market will determine the price.
          You get what you pay for. Well, in the real world anyway.
          There is no reason to offer a license for less than IPB or vB.
          A low price will just mean more users and require more support.
          They already said it would be competitive.
          No one has to use xF, just as no one has to use vB or IPB.

Edit: Maybe IB will need to lower their prices.
          It's gonna be a while before it is even close to being competitive with that is out there now.
          vBulletin - Sometimes, I'm just like, Wow, and then I'm like, Whoa, and then I'm like, Damn.

Comment

• steven s
            • Jul 2004
            • 3.8.x

It's gonna be a while before it is even close to being competitive with that is out there now.
            It's already there in my eyes as an Alpha release.
            ...steven
            www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
            bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
            "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

Comment

• Boofo
              • Apr 2002
              • 4.1.x

Originally posted by steven s
              It's already there in my eyes as an Alpha release.
              Then you definitely need to see an optometrist.

Comment

• Dilly
                • Mar 2005

Then you definitely need to see an optometrist.
                Keep it up Boofo, you cynical old bastard.

Comment

• Razasharp
                  • Feb 2005
                  • 3.7.x

XF is exactly what IB needs - a kick up the backside.

For far too long they've ignored customers, messed up, some would even say screwed them - and now a product that is going to have a very similar feel to the product many of those customers loved, is about to come out ...and it will take a large chunk of IB's customers. Unless IB changes and changes fast.

The old vB devs weren't perfect, and they did have their faults - some might say a lack of vision was one, and being a tad supercilious was two, BUT, they didn't treat customers, or performed, the way IB has. Their product was almost always solid and secure, and they didn't just think about 'making money' - which some would argue is the complete opposite of IB.

Personally, I am moving out of off-the-shelf packages and into custom (tho I do need to do one more update of my largest site first) so XF is of little interest to me as it's unlikely I'll be using it for the site I need to update (it's just missing too many features at the mo). I would probably go with IPB or vB 3.8

After that, I have my own plans that may interest forum admins. But it will be something completely different and most likely turn the space up on to its head!
                  What's Special About Ruby on Rails?

Comment

• Boofo
                    • Apr 2002
                    • 4.1.x

Originally posted by Dilly
                    Not cynical, realistic. And the name calling is not necessary.

Comment

• MRGTB
                      • May 2005

Originally posted by Dilly
                      Hey, less of the OLD.

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
                        • Jul 2008

My biggest concern with XF is that it may be being designed to serve some social agenda rather than a commercial forum. Kier's remark "There will never be a dislike button" is a prime example... Never is a long time and if customers want it, it should be there. Saying it never will is short-sighted at best and a personal agenda at worst.

Comment

• Razasharp
                          • Feb 2005
                          • 3.7.x

Originally posted by BirdOPrey5
                          My biggest concern with XF is that it may be being designed to serve some social agenda rather than a commercial forum. Kier's remark "There will never be a dislike button" is a prime example... Never is a long time and if customers want it, it should be there. Saying it never will is short-sighted at best and a personal agenda at worst.
                          That's exactly one of the reasons I am going custom - because devs will never be able to please everyone, and I am done with wasting hours and hours trying to convince them why my ideas are 'good'. It's too much of a battle and the compromise is too big. Better off spending that time learning an open source framework where the time spent learning it will not be a 'waste', because you can use that knowledge to build any type of site - not just the forum or whatever else the off-the-shelf package will restrict you to.
                          What's Special About Ruby on Rails?

Comment

• ThorstenA
                            • Nov 2004
                            • 4.0.x

xf is certainly not on the level of vbulletin as long as this year lasts. vbulletin is far more advanced. Even the small xf is cluttered as well, but in general it looks nice, though.

Comment

• feldon23
                              • Nov 2001
                              • 3.7.x

Originally posted by BirdOPrey5
                              Most of your posts make me wish there was a Dislike button.

Comment

• ThorstenA
                                • Nov 2004
                                • 4.0.x

I wonder about all these "wow, finally xf is so good" people that are so picky about vb4 when there are minor (well for me) things not included like the profile customization. Will it ever be in xf officially? Seems to be an initial positive wave.

About the dislike link: I have several negative users (and had also a team member) who do want to only use the reputation system, if they can "dislike" members. That was worrying me, too

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...