Former vBulletin lead developer Kier Darby to develop new forum software?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jonsidneyb
    • Mar 2006

Originally posted by punchbowl
    I'm talking about the speed of the forum elements. Opening a thread, posting, browsing forums. I think it's fair. There is a pure forum version of vb.
    And the search engine works too

Comment

• Lizard King
      Banned
      • Mar 2004
      • 3.6.x

Originally posted by BirdOPrey5
      I hear IB is in talks to buy XF right now.
      Surely money can do everything however i don't think IB has enough money to buy XenForo from Kier and Mike.

Comment

• Regs
        • May 2001
        • 4.2.X

Originally posted by smackLAN
        That's a pretty tacky thing to say about anyone. Amazes me how readily people are willing to reveal their total lack of character to anyone and everyone on the internet.
        Not really surprising that went right over your head.

Comment

• Regs
          • May 2001
          • 4.2.X

Originally posted by jonsidneyb
          What is wrong with you?
          Obviously I'm too old.

Comment

• smackLAN
            • Mar 2005
            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Regs
            Not really surprising that went right over your head.
            whatever
            RazorThemes ~ Cutting Edge Designs

Comment

• Abomination
              • Jul 2008

Originally posted by The Vegan Forum
              From an end users point of view, I still fail to see how their early version of the new forum software offers anything that doesn't already exist in other solutions.
              Is there another easy to use script that has the database thread marking system?

We are using vb3.8, and IPB certainly does not have it, and vb4 is not an option.

Comment

• feldon23
                • Nov 2001
                • 3.7.x

Originally posted by BirdOPrey5
                I hear IB is in talks to buy XF right now.
                As xenForo is a private company, they are not subject to hostile takeovers. So keep dreaming.

Originally posted by Reeve of Shinra
                Joking aside, they probably should.

Keep Keir and Mike on board as part of the offer and allow them to have full control on what goes on. They can make a few tweaks in development to make the upgrade from vb3/vb4 easier and right there you have vb5 on the new architecture.
                It would never work. Google "culture shock". Google "corporate culture". Google "Six Sigma".

Let's merge Lamborghini and Chevrolet. Let's merge Panasonic and Bang & Olufsen. Let's merge Jaguar and Hyundai.

Kier and Mike are a couple of guys who, over a few beers and with a strong love of life, friends, and awesome, elegant code, produced the best forum software on the planet, beating out $10,000 solutions.

IB are a corporate marketing machine that buys communities and monetizes them until they bleed. I've heard that in meetings, Bob Brisco meditates or says off-the-wall comments which had nothing to do with what was being discussed. He speaks Marketese. IB knows how to leverage companies to buy other companies. But I'm not sure they've ever sat down and thought "How should the user experience the internet?"

Reeve, BirdOfPrey, would you work for Wal-Mart? Radio Shack? America Online?

People, get some integrity for God's sake.
                Last edited by feldon23; Sat 31 Jul '10, 11:41am.

Comment

• MRGTB
                  • May 2005

Kier and Mike sell XenForo to Internet Brands. Not in your worst Freddy Kruger nightmare, keep dreaming!

Comment

• feldon23
                    • Nov 2001
                    • 3.7.x

From an end users point of view, I still fail to see how their early version of the new forum software offers anything that doesn't already exist in other solutions.
                    It's fast, it's elegant, it's lightweight. It makes great use of existing frameworks and ideas. It has dozens of little design touches that tell me "Wow, someone is really thinking about how people actually USE forums." It shows great user interface design and an understanding of the user experience. Thus far, vBulletin 4 feels like more of the same to me, except it's slower, less efficient, 10x harder to customize, and has over a thousand documented bugs.

Kier pushed for a complete rewrite of vBulletin for the 4.0 series and was fought at every turn. Now, in ONE year, he and Mike have delivered a totally new forum platform with xenForo in the same time it's taken IB to deliver a kludgy StyleVars system and half-baked CMS.

WHat they possibly could have done a major job with is the admin bit, eg. when it comes to editing skins/styles - which in spite of many improvements in vB still seems very unfinished, for one specific reason: so many Stylevars controls a number of elements that one doesn't expect them too, on multiple pages.
                    We've already seen some glimpses of the xenForo style and template system. It is exactly what vB4 SHOULD have been. Extremely lightweight and unbelievably easy to customize. It looks like it's going to take just a few hours to whip out a totally new xenForo style. xenForo should be a customizer's dream.

Comment

• Regs
                      • May 2001
                      • 4.2.X

Originally posted by smackLAN
                      whatever
                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bromance

Fawning:
                      To seek favor or attention by flattery and obsequious behavior.

The man-* reference was just a way of saying there were so many falling in love with Kier, wasn't meant to be a slight or anything towards Kier.

Hopefully a youtube video embed isn't offensive:

Cheers,

Regs.

Comment

• MRGTB
                        • May 2005

Keep in mind though, and you said it yourself. XenForo is very light-weight right now while vBulletin 4 isn't.

Take a look at my light-weight forum in my signature, it's way faster than XenForo. See what I mean?

Comment

• feldon23
                          • Nov 2001
                          • 3.7.x

So when I do a forum-only search on the forum-only parts of vBulletin.com, it's ok that it A) produces inaccurate results and B) takes 5 times as long to do it? I should make allowances because of the feature complexity of other parts of vBulletin?

Comment

• MRGTB
                            • May 2005

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending vBulletin 4. I feel the same as most about it right now. Just pointing out that it's not light-weight like Kier's new forum board is, and you have to make allowances for things like that.

Maybe a better comparison, Would be to compare vBulletin 3 to XenForo on the speed stakes, with that again not being a light-weight board.

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
                              • Jul 2008

Originally posted by feldon23
                              Reeve, BirdOfPrey, would you work for Wal-Mart? Radio Shack? America Online?
                              I'd work for IB if they paid me enough...

Comment

• Bounce
                                • Feb 2005
                                • 4.2.x

Wish I had not bought vb4 now ARGHHHH!!!!!!!! new forums look way better than this one already lol

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...