Former vBulletin lead developer Kier Darby to develop new forum software?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BirdOPrey5
    • Jul 2008

$5 million is a lot of money... that's 25,000 license at $200 pure profit, not counting development costs. They would have to sell A LOT of licenses to break even... but the numbers are just an example anyway, and have no basis in fact... the fact is if someone offered you enough money you'd take a non-compete clause if offered.

Comment

• Ramsesx
      • Aug 2005
      • 3.8.x

Originally posted by is_it_me
      I would suggest that has only been made possible by IB screwing things up, they only have themselves to blame.
      Sure, it was a big big mistake to let this talented people go.

Comment

• is_it_me
        • Apr 2008

Originally posted by BirdOPrey5
        the fact is if someone offered you enough money you'd take a non-compete clause if offered.
        I did, but with the knowledge it couldn't be enforced.

testing 1..2..3

Comment

• zshadow
          • Jul 2006

Had a look at XenForo and I'm extremely impressed. This is everything I thought vB 4 would be. I'll switch in a heartbeat when it's released.

Comment

• anthonyparsons
            • Mar 2005

I asked Kier and he stated... it is our software, which to me means he is not selling out. If he did, his and mike's reputation would be binned for life...

Comment

• smackLAN
              • Mar 2005
              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Regs
              <Offensive post removed>
              That's a pretty tacky thing to say about anyone. Amazes me how readily people are willing to reveal their total lack of character to anyone and everyone on the internet.
              Last edited by Steve Machol; Sat 31 Jul '10, 8:49am.
              RazorThemes ~ Cutting Edge Designs

Comment

• jonsidneyb
                • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Regs
                <Offensive post removed>
                What is wrong with you?
                Last edited by Steve Machol; Sat 31 Jul '10, 8:51am.

Comment

• The Vegan Forum
                  • Apr 2004
                  • 4.1.x

From an end users point of view, I still fail to see how their early version of the new forum software offers anything that doesn't already exist in other solutions.

WHat they possibly could have done a major job with is the admin bit, eg. when it comes to editing skins/styles - which in spite of many improvements in vB still seems very unfinished, for one specific reason: so many Stylevars controls a number of elements that one doesn't expect them too, on multiple pages.

It's easy to edit the color of a font/background on one page only to realize that some text/background on another page has become invisible (since the font now has the same color as the background). Not only is this illogical, there are no warnings or text explaining which elements that re being controlled by these Stylevars. If this works better Kier Darby's solution, I'll check it out.
                  The Vegan Forum

Comment

• MRGTB
                    • May 2005

Originally posted by The Vegan Forum
                    From an end users point of view, I still fail to see how their early version of the new forum software offers anything that doesn't already exist in other solutions.
                    Same here to be honest and many people are getting too carried away with things. I can see some nice touches with XenForo which makes it different already. And it may become a very good forum product. But it's early days, it needs much longer (years) to mature and grow fully yet. Especially if it's going to be a paid forum product, and not a free one to use.

As it stands right now, you could not say it's better than SMF and MyBB. And they are both free to use. But after only 9-10 months of development, you'd have to say it looks impressive for such a very short development time-scale put into it. That's what strikes me the most, what's been produced in such a short time.
                    Last edited by MRGTB; Fri 30 Jul '10, 11:36pm.

Comment

• zshadow
                      • Jul 2006

Originally posted by MRGTB
                      Same here to be honest and many people are getting too carried away with things. I can see some nice touches with XenForo and it may become a good forum product. But it's very early days yet. It needs much longer (years) to mature and grow fully yet. Especially if it's going to be a paid forum product, and not a free one to use.

As it stands right now, you could not say it's better than SMF and MyBB. And they are both free to use.
                      Age != quality. xenForo looks and feels more polished than vB 4 is. Which is quite embarrassing.. for vB, considering the 4.x series is on its fifth revision! XF actually adds useful features, like in-page navigation. I've played around with the live forum on their site for about an hour and it's seriously impressive. There are true usability enhancements as well - hovering over the inbox tab displays a widget showing your most recently read PMs. This is stuff I thought would be in vB 4.

People want change. vB/IB had enough time to turn things around. I'm placing my faith in xenForo... it truly feels like a 'modern' forum software. The fact that Kier is behind it makes me even more pleased.

Everything with vB feels like a half effort now... the most recent addition being the Style Generator. Great in theory, poorly executed. That describes the entirety of 4.x actually.

Comment

• punchbowl
                        • Nov 2006
                        • 4.0.x

It feels lightweight and fast whereas you can almost hear vb groan as it tries to load a page.

Comment

• Boofo
                          • Apr 2002
                          • 4.1.x

Originally posted by punchbowl
                          It feels lightweight and fast whereas you can almost hear vb groan as it tries to load a page.
                          That is not even a fair comparison as vb has a lot more in it than xenForo does. When they start adding a CMS, blogs and all the vb has now, then comparing them will be a lot more realistic.
                          vBulletin - Sometimes, I'm just like, Wow, and then I'm like, Whoa, and then I'm like, Damn.

vBulletin.org's ol' Moderator

I have a lifetime terrorist hunting permit - #091101

chmod a+x /bin/laden -- Allows anyone the permission to execute /bin/laden

Comment

• punchbowl
                            • Nov 2006
                            • 4.0.x

Originally posted by Boofo
                            That is not even a fair comparison as vb has a lot more in it than xenForo does. When they start adding a CMS, blogs and all the vb has now, then comparing them will be a lot more realistic.
                            I'm talking about the speed of the forum elements. Opening a thread, posting, browsing forums. I think it's fair. There is a pure forum version of vb.

Comment

• Boofo
                              • Apr 2002
                              • 4.1.x

I'm talking about the speed of the forum elements. Opening a thread, posting, browsing forums. I think it's fair. There is a pure forum version of vb.
                              Well, I disagree, but then that is ok.
                              vBulletin - Sometimes, I'm just like, Wow, and then I'm like, Whoa, and then I'm like, Damn.

vBulletin.org's ol' Moderator

I have a lifetime terrorist hunting permit - #091101

chmod a+x /bin/laden -- Allows anyone the permission to execute /bin/laden

Comment

• steven s
                                • Jul 2004
                                • 3.8.x

Originally posted by MRGTB
                                <snip>But after only 9-10 months of development, you'd have to say it looks impressive for such a very short development time-scale put into it. That's what strikes me the most, what's been produced in such a short time.
                                Originally posted by zshadow
                                Age != quality. xenForo looks and feels more polished than vB 4 is. Which is quite embarrassing.. for vB, considering the 4.x series is on its fifth revision! XF actually adds useful features, like in-page navigation. I've played around with the live forum on their site for about an hour and it's seriously impressive. <snip>
                                Agree on all points. What I can see is a passion for xenForo which is gone with vB. There is also a sense of community already building where here it is us against them.
                                Except for those who are still drinking the Kool-Aid.
                                There is no way I can afford to move my v3 site to v4. I will have to pay additional hosting fees as I see my v4 site struggling with 1/10 the amount of traffic.
                                ...steven
                                www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
                                bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
                                "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...