Former vBulletin lead developer Kier Darby to develop new forum software?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Abomination
    • Jul 2008

Originally posted by feldon23
    If vBulletin 4 delivered the goods there would be no need for a competitor.
    Extremely interesting statement which caused me to think.

I believe if vb4 & IPB, and all the other products worked 100% (all software has bugs, some more than others) there would still be a need for xenforo, assuming the user interfaces for each package are the way they are now.

In addition to the software itself there is the business model and pricing (which I've not seen discussed yet) and basic 'trust' for each to make the correct business decisions in the future.

Comment

• Reeve of Shinra
      • Sep 2001

I think what Feldon is trying to say is that xenforo can be very successful but vbulletin would have seen little customer churn over if vb4 had delivered on its promises, the trust and communication (as you posted out) were there, and the team continued to do the right thing for the customer.
      Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

• Quillz
        • Nov 2004
        • 5.0.X

It looks good, especially for what I assume is a pre-alpha or alpha release. I doubt it currently has the feature set to really compete with IPB and vB, but Kier can certainly put together a very solid package that I imagine will appeal to many.
        Forums

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
          • Jul 2008

I hear IB is in talks to buy XF right now.

Comment

• MRGTB
            • May 2005

Originally posted by BirdOPrey5
            How do you know that?

Comment

• Reeve of Shinra
              • Sep 2001

Joking aside, they probably should.

Keep Keir and Mike on board as part of the offer and allow them to have full control on what goes on. They can make a few tweaks in development to make the upgrade from vb3/vb4 easier and right there you have vb5 on the new architecture.
              Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

• MRGTB
                • May 2005

Originally posted by Reeve of Shinra
                Joking aside, they probably should.
                Your still joking

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
                  • Jul 2008

Originally posted by MRGTB
                  How do you know that?
                  I can not reveal my sources. I have it on good authority a deal will be reached within 48 hours. Keir and Mike will be millionaires.

Comment

• MRGTB
                    • May 2005

I can not reveal my sources. I have it on good authority a deal will be reached within 48 hours. Keir and Mike will be millionaires.
                    Cool!

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
                      • Jul 2008

Also, President Obama will be seizing control of IB like he did GM and Chrysler in order to 'bail them out' of the VB4 fiasco.

Comment

• Loco.M
                        • Mar 2005
                        • 3.5.x

only time will tell
                        some of the ppl here are sure getting worked up pretty quick..lol
                        -- Web Developer for hire
                        ---Online Marketing Tools and Articles

Comment

• Ramsesx
                          • Aug 2005
                          • 3.8.x

No doubt Kier and Mike did a great job. But the whole situation has some funny elements, it's like jesus was reborn and all his follower are hanging now on his lips listen to all holy words coming from his mouth. Remembers me on Steve Jobs. And it was foreseeable the usual suspect trying to got an important role over there.

Comment

• Floris
                            • Dec 2001

Originally posted by Boofo
                            You have vbfans and now xenforo fan community. When are you going to do the IPB fans site?
                            How long we will keep vbfans is undetermined depends on how long members keep posting. And http://xenfans.com is being build. If it will go somewhere is unknown. Maybe I shut it down in 3 weeks from now. We're finalizing the business plan and mission statement.

IPB ?

Sorry, they're not worth a fan community for me. So never.

Comment

• Floris
                              • Dec 2001

If someone came to you with a briefcase with $5 Million US and said you can't make any more VB Forums for 5 years if you take the money, you better damned well take the money!!!

Now... as for the legality of this, I guess between CA and EU laws it would have been hard, if not impossible, to enforce... in which case it was really Keirs and Mikes loss... A non-compete clause in exchange for compensation is a very valid business tool and should be allowed everywhere. I was a member of a good sized liquor company... we sold a little thing called Grey Goose Vodka for 2.3 billion back in 2004. As part of the agreement we couldn't go back into the Vodka business for 5 years- and rightfully so- we would have just come out with a similar product and use all our contacts and connections to be an instant competitor to the market leading ultra-premium vodka... But we weren't out of the liquor business altogether, we were allowed to do anything but Vodkas, and did. This protected the buying companies investment in the product.
                              If I have an idea what forums could be and want to wait until non compete clause has expired, and then have potential to earn more than 5 million. The bribe for 5 years isn't worth it for me. I wouldn't sign.

Comment

• is_it_me
                                • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Ramsesx
                                No doubt Kier and Mike did a great job. But the whole situation has some funny elements, it's like jesus was reborn and all his follower are hanging now on his lips listen to all holy words coming from his mouth. Remembers me on Steve Jobs. And it was foreseeable the usual suspect trying to got an important role over there.

I would suggest that has only been made possible by IB screwing things up, they only have themselves to blame.

testing 1..2..3

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...