Former vBulletin lead developer Kier Darby to develop new forum software?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Floris
    • Dec 2001

Who the f* would ever sign anything when they quit or get fired. That's the dumbest thing ever, especially in a branch like this.
    xenforo is a fact, wether ib likes it or not. it's healthy competition to an old fashioned market.

Comment

• Boofo
      • Apr 2002
      • 4.1.x

Originally posted by Floris
      Who the f* would ever sign anything when they quit or get fired. That's the dumbest thing ever, especially in a branch like this.
      xenforo is a fact, wether ib likes it or not. it's healthy competition to an old fashioned market.
      You have vbfans and now xenforo fan community. When are you going to do the IPB fans site?
      vBulletin - Sometimes, I'm just like, Wow, and then I'm like, Whoa, and then I'm like, Damn.

vBulletin.org's ol' Moderator

I have a lifetime terrorist hunting permit - #091101

chmod a+x /bin/laden -- Allows anyone the permission to execute /bin/laden

Comment

• PirateReports
        Banned
        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Regs
        All those things I kept hearing about you are true it seems.
        Yes I can't be bought by anyone:-)

Comment

• Hemanth
          • Nov 2005
          • 3.8.x

First of all I appreciate IB for taking the high road and accepting the newcomer as a healthy competition.

Now, I really like the fresh look and feel & some interesting Web 2.0 features of XenForo. But feature-wise it is nothing compared to vB 3.8 (at least in the alpha stage). Also there is no plans for a CMS, Gallery or Blogs at the moment.

What does this mean? Well, I think if IB can pull the act together and release a stable product by 4.1 there won't be much of an impact. What I need now is a neat, fast, bugfree and stable CMS integrated Suite. Whoever provide that first will get my money!
          something...

Comment

• feldon23
            • Nov 2001
            • 3.7.x

Originally posted by BirdOPrey5
            I don't understand how you let talented people leave without some sort of non-compete clause... I don't know the details of these guys departures from vBulletin but it seems very short sited to not have offered them some serious coin to stay out of the market for 5 years.
            As for the non-compete clause I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I've seen them used and enforced. You aren't stopping them from programming, just from programming forums... and it would be something they chose in exchange for money or stock, if they broke it they'd have to repay.
            California judges have described lengthy non-compete clauses as "unconscionable", anticompetitive, and possibly unenforceable.

You are quite naive about Kier and Mike's mental state in June of 2009. They didn't sell vB to IB, that was James. He got the dividends (and a big ass yacht). Kier and Mike got the ulcers. If you think either of them would have signed such a paper and give up what they love in exchange for a briefcase full of money, then you really don't understand either of them.
            Last edited by feldon23; Fri 30 Jul '10, 4:50am.

Comment

• feldon23
              • Nov 2001
              • 3.7.x

LOL California... well I guess that is the answer... Had IB not been based in a "People's Republic" I never would have suggested they accept a non-compete clause for nothing, but fact is this new project of theirs WILL COST IB Hundreds of Thousands if not more in lost future licenses. Someone should have foresaw this and offered them big money to stay out of the forums business, not programming in general- they would be able to use their talents in many other places.
              I'm sorry you find democracy and freedom to be so inconvenient to your corporate-run government ideals. Believe it not, our government at least pretends to operate in the best interest of citizens and not what is most financially convenient for corporations. That EPA is such a pain. I mean who cares about clean water if industry beats their quarterly corporate projections.

If vBulletin 4 delivered the goods there would be no need for a competitor.

Comment

• feldon23
                • Nov 2001
                • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Hemanth
                But feature-wise it is nothing compared to vB 3.8 (at least in the alpha stage). Also there is no plans for a CMS, Gallery or Blogs at the moment.
                Please not another CMS. Joomla and Drupal are the leaders. Joomla 1.6 resolves all the architectural limitations of the platform. It's almost a complete rewrite of Mambo now. It now has full usergroups, sensible menuing, and full hierarchal tree structure for articles.

And vB Blogs were not a success. Why? Cause it ain't Wordpress. Wordpress has thousands of supported plugins, themes, it's extremely easy to add modules. It already has one click upgrades of the core and plugins through FTP layer. And 3.0 just came out which makes it that much more robust.

Trying to outdo Joomla and Wordpress would be the biggest waste of time since watching 6 seasons of Lost.

Now, vB should have bought vBA Gallery years ago. But since they didn't this might be an area to explore. But again, Menalto Gallry 3, which is a lightweight web 2.0 rewrite of Menalto Gallery 2, is worth consideration.

XenForo + Wordpress + Joomla + Menalto Gallery... The thought makes my head spin.

Already xenForo is more modular on password handling.

Comment

• Boofo
                  • Apr 2002
                  • 4.1.x

Originally posted by feldon23
                  If you think either of them would have signed such a paper and give up what they love in exchange for a briefcase full of money, then you really don't understand either of them.
                  Sorry, but I think you are the one that is naive if you believe they wouldn't have taken the money and run, like anyone in the situation with that much money involved.
                  vBulletin - Sometimes, I'm just like, Wow, and then I'm like, Whoa, and then I'm like, Damn.

I have a lifetime terrorist hunting permit - #091101

chmod a+x /bin/laden -- Allows anyone the permission to execute /bin/laden

Comment

• Mr. Mikey
                    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by MRGTB
                    Just been looking at all the new, old and popular names joining from here there so fast. Amazing! Kier and Mike must be over the moon with how things have gone since the launch.
                    Of course, they have to be 'fake' members using tactics which sites such as 'Admin Extra' and 'Admin Addict' employ according to your site. After all these are all the same names you see joining xenforo.com as you saw joining adminaddict and adminextra. I wonder how long it'll be before we see libel about xenforo on your board eh?

Amazing how fast a leopard changes its spots, eh?
                    Last edited by Mr. Mikey; Fri 30 Jul '10, 6:46am. Reason: libel != slander.
                    My Forums: The Geek District - Off Topic Hut
                    My Blog: Mikeylicious
                    Projects: Shorten URL's with kwn.me

Comment

• is_it_me
                      • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Boofo
                      Sorry, but I think you are the one that is naive if you believe they wouldn't have taken the money and run, like anyone in the situation with that much money involved.
                      I *think* such anti-competitive arrangements are illegal under EU-wide competition law, as they should be anywhere in the world, and would therefore be unenforceable this side of the pond.

I say *think*, because what you are suggesting is not exactly the same as my experience when I sold a business to the Daily Mail (national UK rag) group, which included a non-compete clause for a period of 2-years that from the legal advice I had wasn’t worth the paper it was written on.

Nor were similar clauses in the employment contract with my last employers, in fact I took great pleasure in laughing at the commercial director during my exit-interview when he pointed out that clause to me – he seemed amazed that I knew he was bullsh*tting me.

testing 1..2..3

Comment

• feldon23
                        • Nov 2001
                        • 3.7.x

You've just remind me of the problems at the core of the vB enthusiast and developer community. No vision. It's all about the dollar signs. Committing to using plugins at vB.org is setting one's self up for disappointment and being held hostage over fame, ego, or dollars.

Somewhere along the way, people have forgotten that this is about writing amazing software that powers communities. Develop a great product and the money will come.

Comment

• borbole
                          • Feb 2010

True that. I have never seen ayone yet to say No to a lot of money

About the forum, the only thing I dislike after some more in depth navigation is the javascript usage. It seems like they have used it for almost everything. Personally I would not convert away from vb but I plan to buy a copy of it if the price would be reasonable.

Comment

• Paul M
                            Former Lead Developer
                            vB.Com & vB.Org
                            • Sep 2004

Interesting, but as its not even available yet, thats about all it is atm. Something to keep an eye on tho.
                            Baby, I was born this way

Comment

• MRGTB
                              • May 2005

Originally posted by boofo
                              you have vbfans and now xenforo fan community. When are you going to do the ipb fans site?
                              lol

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
                                • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Floris
                                If someone came to you with a briefcase with $5 Million US and said you can't make any more VB Forums for 5 years if you take the money, you better damned well take the money!!!

Now... as for the legality of this, I guess between CA and EU laws it would have been hard, if not impossible, to enforce... in which case it was really Keirs and Mikes loss... A non-compete clause in exchange for compensation is a very valid business tool and should be allowed everywhere. I was a member of a good sized liquor company... we sold a little thing called Grey Goose Vodka for 2.3 billion back in 2004. As part of the agreement we couldn't go back into the Vodka business for 5 years- and rightfully so- we would have just come out with a similar product and use all our contacts and connections to be an instant competitor to the market leading ultra-premium vodka... But we weren't out of the liquor business altogether, we were allowed to do anything but Vodkas, and did. This protected the buying companies investment in the product.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...