Former vBulletin lead developer Kier Darby to develop new forum software?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mark.B
    vBulletin Support
    • Feb 2004
    • 6.0.X

Originally posted by Ramsesx
    Indeed, bad news for IB but good news for us costumers. It only wonders me really how they can come so far with only two people compared to the men powered vbsolutions.
    I would imagine if (when!) it is successful and the hard cash starts to roll in then a bigger team will be recruited, just as it would with any business.
    MARK.B
    vBulletin Support
    ------------
    My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
    My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Ramsesx
      • Aug 2005
      • 3.8.x

A spelling error Mark, I meant how they could come so far already in such a short time.

Comment

• Riasat
        • Aug 2006

XenForo does one thing absolutely right (Giving UI/UX as one of the top most priority) where vBulletin4 has failed; miserably i might add.

Comment

• Sir Nick
          • Sep 2009
          • 3.8.x

Ex-vBulletin Staff Open Up New Forum Software!

I love it personally
          Last edited by Sir Nick; Thu 29 Jul '10, 4:25am.

Comment

• The Vegan Forum
            • Apr 2004
            • 4.1.x

Except that XenForo defaults to not show Join Date, Age and Post Count next to each message, I fail to see what's so great about it?
            The Vegan Forum

Comment

• Reeve of Shinra
              • Sep 2001

The most excitement and euphoria that I seen here in months is about a new forum program from a competitor. vb team needs to get thier act together and fast
              Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

• is_it_me
                • Apr 2008

Originally posted by The Vegan Forum
                Except that XenForo defaults to not show Join Date, Age and Post Count next to each message, I fail to see what's so great about it?
                I think it’s more to do with the team behind it and the ‘trust-factor’, which simply doesn’t exist with IB/vB, and the fact that whatever is released is likely to function properly, with few bugs, proper customer support, good communication, etc., etc.

Originally posted by Reeve of Shinra
                The most excitement and euphoria that I seen here in months is about a new forum program from a competitor. vb team needs to get thier act together and fast
                Agreed, and they need to do it bloody fast, because the horse is about to bolt and they seem to just be stood there holding the stable door wide open for it.

testing 1..2..3

Comment

• nwingate
                  • Jul 2003
                  • 3.8.x

Yea, it's kind of amazing to watch the fall of vBulletin and how fast it happened. Communication is terrible and the development team of the new vBulletin doesn't seem to understand what customers want... even though IB runs tons of forum based sites.

Comment

• borbole
                    • Feb 2010

Originally posted by nwingate
                    Yea, it's kind of amazing to watch the fall of vBulletin and how fast it happened. Communication is terrible and the development team of the new vBulletin doesn't seem to understand what customers want... even though IB runs tons of forum based sites.
                    I don''t think vB is falling or it will. vB is rock solid. However some competition is a very good thing sometimes.

Comment

• is_it_me
                      • Apr 2008

Originally posted by borbole
                      I don''t think vB is falling or it will. vB is rock solid. However some competition is a very good thing sometimes.
                      Sorry, but LOL.

testing 1..2..3

Comment

• dilbert
                        • Oct 2004

Originally posted by Reeve of Shinra
                        This is very sad.
                        I feel like I am a loyal person to quality products.
                        When I bought my vb licenses there were only two products in this price range, and I felt IPB was inferior.
                        While I waited more than 1/2 a year to finally upgrade to a "stable" version of vb I took a serious look at IPB again. I even went as far as getting a hosted account to set up a test forum and imported my data. I was impressed, but remained loyal to vb.
                        I no longer have any idea who vb is. It used to be a great team with one great leader.
                        Now the elusive team seem to be lead by no one.
                        If Kiers new product looks promising and provides the functionality I need, I can't say my loyalty will remain anymore, and the sad part about that is, I suspect no one from vb will care.
                        Cliff
                        PathLabTalk
                        Square Wheels Cycling

Comment

• gothic
                          • Apr 2004

Originally posted by borbole
                          I don''t think vB is falling or it will. vB is rock solid.
                          Sorry, but got to ask when you last visited our planet

Comment

• Ramsesx
                            • Aug 2005
                            • 3.8.x

VB 3.8x is rock solid, so he isn't wrong.

Comment

• gothic
                              • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Ramsesx
                              VB 3.8x is rock solid, so he isn't wrong.
                              You are quite correct, I remain with this version, I was of course referring to the (can't think of anything non-libellus to put here, so I won't bother).....

Comment

• Mark.B
                                vBulletin Support
                                • Feb 2004
                                • 6.0.X

So it's starting to look as though I shall, in the fullness of time, move from one Kier (and co) development product to another Kier (and co) developed product.

I do emphasise the "and co" as Kier himself once told me off for using his name only in these sort of posts as both the work he did here and the new product is the work of a team (albeit on his new product it's a very small one).
                                MARK.B
                                vBulletin Support
                                ------------
                                My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                                My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...