Former vBulletin lead developer Kier Darby to develop new forum software?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Grover
    • May 2001
    • 3.8.x

Share the Love Former vBulletin lead developer Kier Darby to develop new forum software?

Interesting read:

... also with comments by the man himself.
    How much do you love XenForo?
  • the geek
    • Jun 2003
    • 1.1.x

Or is he just busy inventing a new form of toast? I can save you the 27 pages of pure speculation: Neither have been confirmed or denied so both are just as likely.
    My Twitterings

Comment

• Dean C
      • Mar 2002
      • 3.5.x

Even with a big team, it'd take a good few years to reach a stable, robust and feature-packed platform like vBulletin has at the moment. I have my doubts over whether this is a worthwhile venture, or even a feasible one. After all there's plenty of well-coded, scalable basic forum platforms available now anyway
      Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

• Al Zander
        • Aug 2001

lol at the geek's "Who's Kier?" ... and someone actually biting

Comment

• Kusadasi-Guy
          • May 2004

Wow! A brand new forum software from him would be amazing and cant imagine the long queue.
          Support Disaster Relief in Haiti

Comment

• badblu01
            • Feb 2004

if this were true it would make VB 4 look bad
            Cricket Talk
            All Your Aussie + World Cricket Talk

Comment

• Razasharp
              • Feb 2005
              • 3.7.x

If he isn't collaborating with other people - how will it be any different to the vB before IB came along? For as what I remember he was pretty much calling the shots back then.

I'll be interested in anything he or any of the devs come out with, but it's not going to be easy for any single ex-team member to go it alone. Now if Scott, Mike and a few others joined him then it may have been a different story altogether.
              What's Special About Ruby on Rails?

Comment

• beishe8
                • Oct 2005
                • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Razasharp
                Now if Scott, Mike and a few others joined him then it may have been a different story altogether.
                When they were there together, vB4 was planned for years but did not go anywhere.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• BIGMONAY2K
                  • Mar 2004

Originally posted by beishe8
                  When they were there together, vB4 was planned for years but did not go anywhere.
                  you can't be serious dude?wow

if it is true, i wish him good luck...I like the guy

Comment

• s0lidgr0und
                    • May 2007
                    • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Dean C
                    Even with a big team, it'd take a good few years to reach a stable, robust and feature-packed platform like vBulletin has at the moment. I have my doubts over whether this is a worthwhile venture, or even a feasible one. After all there's plenty of well-coded, scalable basic forum platforms available now anyway
                    At this rate, it'll take the current team to do the same thing with vb4.
                    s.molinari - I would like to ask all customers to definitely feedback issues with the software and be specific with the issues, but to basically suck-up what happened in the past and try to just look forward.

Comment

• aussiefooty
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 6.0.X

Have just asked the man in question on Twitter.
                      Aussiefootyforums

New Site New forum
                      Come and talk sports all day long

Comment

• Mike Anime
                        • Oct 2004
                        • 3.7.x

if this is true vB will have a mojor contender in a short time frame.

between this and UBB vB has to step up to the plate in a BIG hurry.

Comment

• Dilly
                          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by schwab2clarkson
                          Have just asked the man in question on Twitter.
                          Stalker.

Comment

• ManagerJosh
                            • Jun 2002

Based on what Scott said, it would have taken a full vBulletin rewrite 14 months. ~14 months later, we're only a a partial rewrite and a million more bugs that keep popping out. I hate to say it, and being politically correct has gotten us no where really so I'll be blunt: Management needs to go. Management has screwed up big time and management needs to be held accountable. Everything that has led up to where we are is a result of POOR MANAGEMENT. They have no idea what's going on and have no idea what they're doing. Developers, bless their souls, for having to put up with angry customers and management who refuse to budge the on issues.

I've been running around my university talking with various Systems Analysts and System Designers and they're surprised Internet Brands attempted SCRUM. In fact, they were not surprised one bit SCRUM failed miserably. Why? In order for SCRUM to work, you need to know EXACTLY what your customer requirements are. We can clearly see though right now Internet Brands are not meeting customer requirements. Even more important, is that they need to know the product EXTREMELY well for SCRUM to work.

It is safe to conclude that if Internet Brands continues to not meet customer requirements (BUG FIXING IS A HUGE CUSTOMER REQUIREMENT AS IS STABILITY, AND FUNCTIONALITY), then vBulletin is doomed. They are barely meeting a fraction of ours. Any of the requirements currently satisfied is from vBulletin 3. Anyone who knows project management knows that if you don't meet customer requirements, you're doomed.

Let me say it also: INTERNET BRANDS IS NOT MEETING OUR REQUIREMENTS.
                            Last edited by ManagerJosh; Fri 15 Jan '10, 12:31am.
                            ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                            Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• guvner
                              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
                              In fact, they were not surprised one bit SCRUM failed miserably. Why? In order for SCRUM to work, you need to know EXACTLY what your customer requirements are.
                              And that's because SCRUM needs a "Product Owner" representing the stake holders (us) to ensure that our collective needs are positioned right at the top of the pile (as distinct from satisfying shareholders' immediate needs), however it would appear that such an "entity" was hardly present (if at all) during the early development phase of VB4.

I for one would have much preferred that as at today, (January 2010), we'd just completed the roadmap of what needs to be delivered, meaning that VB4 Gold would not be available for 12 months from this point.

Of course, we could have started sooner, but even accepting the impact of corporate changes, a project of this scope which affects so many customers should really have followed a less "hurried" path and conformed more strictly to a well proven and established development framework.
                              Australian Media Center Community

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...