Former vBulletin lead developer Kier Darby to develop new forum software?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • feldon23
    • Nov 2001
    • 3.7.x

Originally posted by WhatChaMissin
    I would add to your list, COST. With all the "I'll pay whatever" posts over at XF it could be possible that they overprice it. Additionally, I'm not a fan of the "we'll have a price" once we get closer to release method.
    You prefer "we'll have a product" six months after we get intimately familiar with your wallet?

Comment

• Alfa1
      • Dec 2005
      • 3.8.x

Those six months have passed long ago. The product is still bug ridden. 4.1 will be the first release that is no functionality downgrade from 3.8. Its likely to become 12 months after release, before we have a gold vb4 product.
      I buy 420 forums

Comment

• WhatChaMissin
        • Apr 2005
        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by feldon23
        You prefer "we'll have a product" six months after we get intimately familiar with your wallet?
        LOL. Hey at least its honest

Comment

• Alfa1
          • Dec 2005
          • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Lionel
          I was among those to be very upset with 4.0. I am a developer and I can tell you that as far as I am concerned, 4.0.4 put vB back on the map. In fact I am really impressed with the amount of flexibility that I now have. All my scripts tremendously beneficiated from vB4.0.4

Granted some bugs remained. But what do you expect from over hundreds of thousands lines of code?
          Could you please expand some more on how your scripts have tremendously benfited from vb4.0.4 when comparing it to vb3.8?
          There where about 2.100 open bugs in vb4.04, of which 1.600 confirmed. Do you think that's a solid basis to build upon?
          The reason I ask is that I am still trying to make sense out of the current situation and decide which platform I will start developing extensive addons on. (For my own site and devs will be hired) As it stands this is likely to be vb3.8, but if vb4.x will be a reasonable option in this year, then I might opt for that. Though I am not expecting that.
          I buy 420 forums

Comment

• Lionel
            • Apr 2001

Alfa1, the ones that come to mind: I have 2 nice products. In 3.8.0 they required multiple file edits due to the fact that there were no hooks. Still there are no hooks, but with new attachment system all those file edits are no longer necessary

In my support system, I am able to upload files using new attachment system (incorporating it) with just 3 lines of code.

My review system now barely adds one or two queries in showthread.

Tabs and lightbox can be used anywhere. Lightbox no longer requires that you use attachment.php (you can trick it) and Tabs could be applied anywhere. In fact I am currently having a ball with it with a greeting cards script.

Soon I will be creating my own contenttype for another major script. Once you do, then your script is not just part of vB, it becomes vB

Believe me. When 4.0 came out I had stopped developing for vB and switched to IPB and started to renamed all my scripts, removing vb. vBcart became iCart for example. When 4.0.4 came out, I dropped IPB real fast. The time it takes me to create a script is 75% faster now.

And I also see an increase in customers using 4.0.4

I encountered numerous problems. But most of them came from IE. All had workaround.

Is vB perfect? No! But show me one script which is.

From the very beginning, I saw that they were heading the Joomla way.

I like what I see with xenForo, mostly because they adopted the jQuery model which in my opinion is more powerful than the Yahoo one. But they still have long way to go.

Eventually, once they start adding features to it, it will be years to see it becoming mature.
            Last edited by Lionel; Wed 11 Aug '10, 8:31am.

Comment

• AlexanderT
              • Mar 2003

I like what I see with xenForo, mostly because they adopted the jQuery model which in my opinion is more powerful than the Yahoo one. But they still have long way to go.
              How can you judge a forum software by its choice of javascript library?

Comment

• Lionel
                • Apr 2001

Originally posted by AlexanderT
                How can you judge a forum software by its choice of javascript library?
                I am not judging. I said I like.

Comment

• Regs
                  • May 2001
                  • 4.2.X

Remember it's the same developers that have us "stuck" here with the yahoo library.

Never really understood that choice but hoping real hard that vB5 switches it out for jquery.

Comment

• Boofo
                    • Apr 2002
                    • 4.1.x

I really think that vb will go the jquery route sooner than we all think. For one, it will fix the comma issue finally.
                    vBulletin - Sometimes, I'm just like, Wow, and then I'm like, Whoa, and then I'm like, Damn.

vBulletin.org's ol' Moderator

I have a lifetime terrorist hunting permit - #091101

chmod a+x /bin/laden -- Allows anyone the permission to execute /bin/laden

Comment

• Removed-836727
                      Banned by User Request
                      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Boofo
                      I really think that vb will go the jquery route sooner than we all think. For one, it will fix the comma issue finally.
                      I hope this too.
                      Now where it's providen in the package (because of the style generator) they could try to refactore the JS Code too.

Comment

• Lionel
                        • Apr 2001

Originally posted by Boofo
                        virtually every IE issue has a solution with jQuery.

Comment

• Alfa1
                          • Dec 2005
                          • 3.8.x

Alfa1, the ones that come to mind: I have 2 nice products. In 3.8.0 they required multiple file edits due to the fact that there were no hooks. Still there are no hooks, but with new attachment system all those file edits are no longer necessary

In my support system, I am able to upload files using new attachment system (incorporating it) with just 3 lines of code.

My review system now barely adds one or two queries in showthread.

Tabs and lightbox can be used anywhere. Lightbox no longer requires that you use attachment.php (you can trick it) and Tabs could be applied anywhere. In fact I am currently having a ball with it with a greeting cards script.

Soon I will be creating my own contenttype for another major script. Once you do, then your script is not just part of vB, it becomes vB

Believe me. When 4.0 came out I had stopped developing for vB and switched to IPB and started to renamed all my scripts, removing vb. vBcart became iCart for example. When 4.0.4 came out, I dropped IPB real fast. The time it takes me to create a script is 75% faster now.

And I also see an increase in customers using 4.0.4

I encountered numerous problems. But most of them came from IE. All had workaround.

Is vB perfect? No! But show me one script which is.

From the very beginning, I saw that they were heading the Joomla way.

Eventually, once they start adding features to it, it will be years to see it becoming mature.
                          I cant give reputation to you again, so thank you very much for your view on this. I know you deliver quality work and advanced products, so I see your comments in this regard. What you describe is exactly what I have planned: new content types for vb.

Regarding XF: I like it a lot, but it will take a lot of time to mature. I have outgrown vbulletin its capacities, so will surely take time before XF has the functions that I need. Very promising though.
                          vbs rewrite also takes a lot of time. Especially with the recent departures of old vbulletin devs.
                          I buy 420 forums

Comment

• ManagerJosh
                            • Jun 2002

Originally posted by Alfa1
                            I cant give reputation to you again, so thank you very much for your view on this. I know you deliver quality work and advanced products, so I see your comments in this regard. What you describe is exactly what I have planned: new content types for vb.

Regarding XF: I like it a lot, but it will take a lot of time to mature. I have outgrown vbulletin its capacities, so will surely take time before XF has the functions that I need. Very promising though.
                            vbs rewrite also takes a lot of time. Especially with the recent departures of old vbulletin devs.
                            and new developers
                            ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                            Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• Lionel
                              • Apr 2001

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
                              and new developers
                              I would not be quick to put the blame on the new developers. They are good. However they seem to have no real experience with vB unique coding structure. So they are trying to implement their expertise to it, and therefore messing things up.

The only restriction that I see for vB is the lack of flexibility in styling. Boy oh boy, does my mouth water when I go to a Joomla site like RocketThemes!

Comment

• ManagerJosh
                                • Jun 2002

I would not be quick to put the blame on the new developers. They are good. However they seem to have no real experience with vB unique coding structure. So they are trying to implement their expertise to it, and therefore messing things up.

The only restriction that I see for vB is the lack of flexibility in styling. Boy oh boy, does my mouth water when I go to a Joomla site like RocketThemes!

Sorry that was a misunderstanding on my part. I meant there's been departures of new developers as well.
                                ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                                Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...