Former vBulletin lead developer Kier Darby to develop new forum software?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AlexanderT
    • Mar 2003

Lionel, can you elaborate on the changes in vB 4.0.4 as to compared to vB 4.0.0 that made all of your scripts benefit so tremendously?

Comment

• feldon23
      • Nov 2001
      • 3.7.x

Originally posted by ThorstenA
      A blog ? Not available.
      I'm not interested in a XenForo blog. I appreciate the effort that went into it, but the vBulletin blog will never have access to the thousands of plugins and themes available for Wordpress. Even if the vBulletin Blog were pitch-perfect and feature comparable to Wordpress, it would still be a huge compromise.

Profile fields? I did not see so much in this area.
      You haven't seen the back end.
      Currently, it's nothing IB or IPB should worry about at all.
      "It's just a few Indians." - Custer

Comment

• feldon23
        • Nov 2001
        • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Lionel
        All my scripts tremendously beneficiated from vB4.0.4
        I have yet to see a list of features in vBulletin 4 Forum not present in vB3.8.6.

Comment

• Lionel
          • Apr 2001

Originally posted by AlexanderT
          Lionel, can you elaborate on the changes in vB 4.0.4 as to compared to vB 4.0.0 that made all of your scripts benefit so tremendously?
          I don't work for vB and I am not about to sing any praises. (In fact I am also geared to start development for xenforo). Just look at the bug fixes and you'll get some answers.
          At 4.0 I had to switch to jQuery for many reasons. 4.0.4 had me revert to vB functions and to create my own javascript.

Comment

• Ramsesx
            • Aug 2005
            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by feldon23
            I have yet to see a list of features in vBulletin 4 Forum not present in vB3.8.6.
            Ajax quickreply and facebook buttons. That's the list.

Comment

• Lionel
              • Apr 2001

Not even the new attachment system?

Comment

• ManagerJosh
                • Jun 2002

Not even the new attachment system?
                Respectfully, the new system is half baked and completely flawed. Use an unsupported browser (ie. Safari, Chrome, Opera) and things just start heading south.
                ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• Lionel
                  • Apr 2001

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
                  Respectfully, the new system is half baked and completely flawed. Use an unsupported browser (ie. Safari, Chrome, Opera) and things just start heading south.
                  In which way? I don't have any problems with IE or chrome.

Comment

• ManagerJosh
                    • Jun 2002

In which way? I don't have any problems with IE or chrome.
                    Try inserting the item and then managing it's form. Like alignment.
                    Attached Files
                    ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                    Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• Lionel
                      • Apr 2001

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
                      Try inserting the item and then managing it's form. Like alignment.
                      I really don't know what you mean. Anyway if that is an issue, I am not affected at all since I use my vBattach mod to align images perfectly anywhere I want in a thread.

Comment

• ManagerJosh
                        • Jun 2002

I really don't know what you mean. Anyway if that is an issue, I am not affected at all since I use my vBattach mod to align images perfectly anywhere I want in a thread.
                        Ever clicked that little pencil on the image in FireFox or IE?

Comment

• AWS
                          • Apr 2000
                          • 5.2.x

vBulletin 4 is what it is because motivated people who have always delivered a rock-solid product (even if it didn't always have all the feature bloat people begged for) were prevented from doing what needed to be done -- refactoring the product and producing a from-the-ground up vBulletin 4.

The fact that XenForo at 10 months development already adds more features and has shown a powerful, optimized, flexible architecture not present in vBulletin 4 despite 18 months development, should be apparent.

As a platform, vBulletin 4 does not foster communication or integration with other products (Wordpress, Joomla, etc.) or allow any other user login systems. vBulletin 4 is a bear to style. vBulletin 4 is very much a sealed box, so the vBulletin team must deliver EVERYTHING.

As a platform, XenForo is being built open, with a replaceable user login system, a crisp, flexible style that fully leverages CSS, and a node-based content system that will allow content types such as blogs, pages, etc. to be added extremely quickly. As a result, XenForo will become successful not in spite of the third party developer community, but because of it.

I'm sorry that all you see is vB4/IB complainers now brown-nosing Kier. That's your perspective, and you're welcome to it, but don't be surprised when we say "I told you so."
                          10 months in development and has more features? Am I missing the CMS, Blog or albums? Sure I see talk of all that and more. I also hear it's going to be so extensible you'll be able to plug in other software with only a couple lines of code. Has anyone seen this miracle code yet or are you going by what you are being told or by looking at the 7 second long videos?
                          Admins Zone - Resources for Forum Administrators

Comment

• ManagerJosh
                            • Jun 2002

Originally posted by AWS
                            10 months in development and has more features? Am I missing the CMS, Blog or albums? Sure I see talk of all that and more. I also hear it's going to be so extensible you'll be able to plug in other software with only a couple lines of code. Has anyone seen this miracle code yet or are you going by what you are being told or by looking at the 7 second long videos?
                            Let's presume xenForo was intended to be a vBulletin rewrite. From where I stand, I see almost everything inside a core vBulletin 4 forum installation (not suite), and more . We can't compare the vBulletin 4 suite to the current xenForo setup because it is like comparing apples to oranges. Later on, we probably can.

Comment

• anthonyparsons
                              • Mar 2005

Very valid point AWS... xenforo has not earnt a thing yet, it only has a small following based on what can be seen. Only time will tell whether the product will become a significant player or not by its quality and features, ability to operate under various server conditions and load, which in essence have not been tested at this point. VB & IPB have years of proven history and backing... something that every new software must earn, and cannot just be given beyond the handful of followers that tend to flock upon anything new. Not many after buying iphone4 where singing in praise for long... but they had to have it now, now, now. New product that was purchased on existing history, which failed.... just like 4.x based on prior versions. No doubt recovery is imminent.

Comment

• WhatChaMissin
                                • Apr 2005
                                • 3.8.x

Originally posted by anthonyparsons
                                Very valid point AWS... xenforo has not earnt a thing yet, it only has a small following based on what can be seen. Only time will tell whether the product will become a significant player or not by its quality and features, ability to operate under various server conditions and load, which in essence have not been tested at this point.
                                I would add to your list, COST. With all the "I'll pay whatever" posts over at XF it could be possible that they overprice it. Additionally, I'm not a fan of the "we'll have a price" once we get closer to release method.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...