Former vBulletin lead developer Kier Darby to develop new forum software?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VonDoom
    • Dec 2008
    • 3.8.x

Originally posted by FreshFroot_
    It would be nice to see the old pricing scheme there. $160 US owned, 100 leased and $30-40 renewals
    Salute.. Although this wouldn't really be an issue if the product worked.. The increase price and change in structure wouldn't be such a problem if 1, the product worked, and 2, if the licensing structure was implemented after the rewrite was complete..

I suppose i can see why the 4.0 series has it issues.. The incremental rewrite obviously has its own problems.. But it is killing me as a forum admin to have to fix what vB continues to break.. Mod authors are running away from this mess, at east until the rewrite is complete.. Doing this is increments was a bad decision. (IMO) and is causing me a tremendous amount of grief.. If i could go back in time i would have stuck with 3.8 but its to late for that and now i just feel ripped off. Nobody forced me to upgrade. but at the same time promises were not kept.. vB4.0 is a joke.. all i can say i like about it is the UI i think it looks great, But somebody was using a girl friend as an example.. She might look good but if she doesn't put out... well you get my point.
    Last edited by VonDoom; Wed 4 Aug '10, 7:04am.

Comment

• ThorstenA
      • Nov 2004
      • 4.0.x

Lots of the xf design can also be accomplished with vb4. I like xfs postbit, and most of that is now available for my users They now have a like it link along with a report and answer link.

Looking forward to see more of xfs design ideas

---
      Update: As I got asked how I have grouped these elements:
      avatar - post Like it Report Edit Answer
      I removed the answer link actually and renamed the quote link with "Answer"
      Last edited by ThorstenA; Wed 4 Aug '10, 12:09pm.

Comment

• anthonyparsons
        • Mar 2005

You can already see a good sum of IPB in XF... copying goes on regardless, because there are simply ideas already present which people respond to, so there is no reason to reinvent the wheel, so to speak. I wouldn't.

The only thing I don't think should be encompassed with the old licensing structure is leased licenses, as they become to much work to monitor, thus add to the overall price everyone pays for such monitoring upon expiration. One cost to purchase, then a small fee to renew within the series. You make each new version release higher than normal to upgrade, or use an algorithm to determine those who upgrade lots during a series vs. those who buy the cheap, then expect to get the next series cheap, they pay a premium upgrade price with little to no savings.

The pricing structure was certainly a sore point for a good majority of users, and is easily repairable with change.

Comment

• MRGTB
          • May 2005

I don't like how the forum description pops-up in box when you hover down the forum list. Nice touch I agree, but I also find it annoying as well.

Comment

• anthonyparsons
            • Mar 2005

Yer, no one package will ever meet every single aspect for any users needs. There will always be something you don't like, or want, that isn't present.

Comment

• MRGTB
              • May 2005

True, you can't please everyone. I also don't like the drop shadow effect added to links. That looks very bad

Comment

• ---MAD---
                • Jun 2005
                • 3.8.x

I must say that I am very impressed with this first preview of xF. They have extreme potential and lots of excitement and faith around the product already as you can see from the posts and members joining. What happens from here onwards it totally in the hand of the xF developers.

More competition is only better for the consumer as it leads to a better product overall as each company strives to provide the best software to meet the consumers requirements.

Originally posted by anthonyparsons"
                People are always going to back those they are familiar with... human nature. Xenforo has a long way to go before it becomes a viable competitor to VB or IPB IMHO.
                I think you are forgetting who is behind the xF project. These guys (obviously missing a few who moved on to other project or are still at vB) are the ones who made vB what it is today. They are all very well known by vB admins and many other forum owners/admins which is why they will have faith in them as they know they can deliver a product that is stable and at a very high quality and will raise the bar.
                Last edited by ---MAD---; Wed 4 Aug '10, 7:14pm.

Comment

• vivamexico55
                  • Mar 2005

Looks very pretty. Can't really say much more until there's more info about it, but I hope VB copies some parts of the design and interface.

Comment

• badblu01
                    • Feb 2004

IB have no chance of copying some parts of the interface as they still cant get V4 right.

If they had stuck to Kier first VB4 look things might be diffrent i say might.
                    Cricket Talk
                    All Your Aussie + World Cricket Talk

Comment

• ManagerJosh
                      • Jun 2002

Originally posted by badblu01
                      IB have no chance of copying some parts of the interface as they still cant get V4 right.

If they had stuck to Kier first VB4 look things might be diffrent i say might.
                      I think it's safe to say "we told ya so" to some people at Internet Brands who called the shots
                      ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                      Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• anthonyparsons
                        • Mar 2005

I remember the argument about them not catering to rewrite the entire backend for a 4.x release, and well... we are still at that point except a lot of brand damage has occurred along the way. Yes, IB should have listened to them for in essence, really they are in the same position of having to concentrate on a full rewrite in order to get the product right again.

Comment

• Dream
                          • Mar 2001
                          • 3.6.x

Still, I already spent $ on vB licenses, wondering how much would be migrating to a new software.
                          Radio and TV Player for vBulletin

Comment

• Reeve of Shinra
                            • Sep 2001

Originally posted by Dream
                            Still, I already spent $ on vB licenses, wondering how much would be migrating to a new software.
                            Being able develop your site instead of squashing bugs that should never have existed in the first place? $priceless.
                            Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

• TheComputerGuy
                              • Apr 2001

We all win in the marketplace.

Comment

• jeffinj
                                • Apr 2006

I now have extra cash. I might buy xf license later. I still don't like vb4 skin and all the complexity.
                                www.christianforumsite.com
                                sigpic

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...