Former vBulletin lead developer Kier Darby to develop new forum software?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • borbole
    • Feb 2010

Originally posted by AlexanderT
    And sure they don't. Is there anything or has there ever been anything they have to worry about? IB sure doesn't show any worry.
    And the way I see it, IB has no reason to worry. vB is a very established platform and it is getting better and better with each version.

Comment

• AlexanderT
      • Mar 2003

Originally posted by borbole
      And the way I see it, IB has no reason to worry. vB is a very established platform and it is getting better and better with each version.
      You know, this is maybe the way they think, too (although I'd like to know based on what you define "better"). Fine with me. If I ran this business, however, hypothetically speaking, I'd be very worried if I saw "old dogs", i.e. long-time customers, making (or announcing) the switch to an alternative forum platform after expressing their unhappiness with vB.

Comment

• borbole
        • Feb 2010

Originally posted by AlexanderT
        You know, this is maybe the way they think, too (although I'd like to know based on what you define "better"). Fine with me. If I ran this business, however, hypothetically speaking, I'd be very worried if I saw "old dogs", i.e. long-time customers, making (or announcing) the switch to an alternative forum platform after expressing their unhappiness with vB.
        Let me tell you this, IB would not be what is it if it did not have good business sense, wouldn''t you say? Personally I have great faith in IB and vb.

And those long time unsatisfied customers are not that plenty, only a handful of them from what I have seen so far here. And it is a fact that you can not satisfy everyone

Comment

• Reeve of Shinra
          • Sep 2001

and those long time unsatisfied customers are not that plenty

What? The licensed feedback forum is filled (95% at least) with complaints and issues about the product.
          Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

• Nick
            • Feb 2008
            • 3.8.x

Let me tell you this, IB would not be what is it if it did not have good business sense, wouldn''t you say? Personally I have great faith in IB and vb.

And those long time unsatisfied customers are not that plenty, only a handful of them from what I have seen so far here. And it is a fact that you can not satisfy everyone
            Unless this is a second account of yours, you've only been around since February. Many of us unsatisfied customers have been long gone since before February.

The count of unsatisfied customers is in fact plenty. You don't see most of us posting anymore because it's a lost cause. IB has demonstrated that they don't care. They are going to do whatever they want to do, regardless of how the customers feel, how the customers react, or what the customers say. So why waste my time and energy expressing concerns for the product?

I feel bad for those of you who are so naive of IB.
            Regards,
            Nick

Comment

• borbole
              • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Reeve of Shinra
              and those long time unsatisfied customers are not that plenty

What? The licensed feedback forum is filled (95% at least) with complaints and issues about the product.
              I said from what I have seen it doesn''t look plenty to me. Just a bunch of people that express their dis-satisfaction and hate for vb all the time and in almost all the threads. I wouldn''t call those users the majority of the customers. They might be old timers but they definitely don''t represnt the majority of the customers.

Comment

• ManagerJosh
                • Jun 2002

Much of us who are "unsatisfied" have pretty much stopped posting, and a significant number have left, and even moved onto other alternative solutions

I said from what I have seen it doesn''t look plenty to me. Just a bunch of people that express their dis-satisfaction and hate for vb all the time and in almost all the threads. I wouldn''t call those users the majority of the customers. They might be old timers but they definitely don''t represnt the majority of the customers.
                I think you underestimate those customers. Those people that express their dissatisfaction with the product are ones who hold a significant amount of influence community wise.
                ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• borbole
                  • Feb 2010

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
                  Much of us who are "unsatisfied" have pretty much stopped posting, and a significant number have left, and even moved onto other alternative solutions

I think you underestimate those customers. Those people that express their dissatisfaction with the product are ones who hold a significant amount of influence community wise.
                  I agree and I don''t underestimate any customers. Maybe I did not express myself well. What I meant are those users that complain all the time without being constructive

Comment

• ManagerJosh
                    • Jun 2002

I agree and I don''t underestimate any customers. Maybe I did not express myself well. What I meant are those users that complain all the time without being constructive
                    Quite a few people have been constructive. However, it seems like all the comments, suggestions and recommendations have made have fallen through the cracks in the Internet Brands Corporate Bureaucracy. vBulletin 4 is fast becoming the textbook example in Business 101 of "what not to do".
                    ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                    Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• WhatChaMissin
                      • Apr 2005
                      • 3.8.x

... Nevermind.

Please continue...

Comment

• cmeinck
                        • Aug 2004

His new software is exactly what I was hoping for in vB4. It's fresh, fast and appears light. I'll be keeping an eye on it. One thing I've learned from my jump to vB4 is to wait. I'm sticking with vB for the immediate future.

Comment

• steven s
                          • Jul 2004
                          • 3.8.x

Remember that thought when v5 rolls around.
                          Would anyone in their right mind buy into the next pre-sale knowing what they know now?
                          No public beta, despite begging. A pre-sale, site [sic] unseen. After all this time, finally a version (4.05) that doesn't break my forum.

Edit: Didn't realize you've only been here since Feb 2010.
                          ...steven
                          www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
                          bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
                          "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

Comment

• Alfa1
                            • Dec 2005
                            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by dieKetzer
                            im not sold on xenforo yet.
                            i still have vivid memories of the kier days of vb3, the lack of communication, resistance to feedback, the stagnation... many of the things people complain about, such as the compartmentalisation of vb, overblown permissions, convoluted admincp, etc, predate IB. i think IBs ham-fisted management has made the old devs into christ figures, but my memory isnt nearly so kind.
                            reading over xenforo, it seems kier and co are again taking the stance they they know better what my communities want, in effect managing by proxy. it appears many things are done in a way simply to make them different; changes for the sake of change. i am having a hard time with that. imo if an upstart wants to knock vb off its perch it needs to create the board vb users have been begging for for years. the guys at xenforo should know what that board is, if they had ever paid attention. instead they are trying to reinvent the wheel.
                            i will def keep one foot in the water over there, but i reckon my future is at ipb.
                            Originally posted by Ramsesx
                            Don't forget sometimes it makes a difference if you are just employed or run your own business.
                            I hope that makes a world of difference. I do see them asking for and taking in a lot of suggestions ATM. So thats surely a difference than some years ago.
                            I buy 420 forums

Comment

• MRGTB
                              • May 2005

I have to admit that I am getting more impressed with how XenForo is shaping up, and the speed at which things are getting done there is mind blowing. I just cannot believe how fast changes are being made.

About the only thing I don't like (which is just a matter of taste) so far, is the colour scheme used for the style. I prefer a darker theme. But other than that I'm impressed with things so far. Plus, they might offer a few different colour variation yet in the theme picker to suit all later, who knows. They've already added a fixed width option which like.
                              Last edited by MRGTB; Mon 2 Aug '10, 2:46pm.

Comment

• Ramsesx
                                • Aug 2005
                                • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Alfa1
                                I hope that makes a world of difference. I do see them asking for and taking in a lot of suggestions ATM. So thats surely a difference than some years ago.
                                I can tell you a story from early days where I had to work as a pizza driver to gain additional money. The owner of the pizza shop didn't care too much and therefore business was running bad, most time he was sitting in the back office, reading the bible and praying for a better business. A young employed student run the phone and kitchen, pizza was burned to long or customers got delivered to late, he didn't care about. End of story was the owner had to sell the shop and outstanding debts.
                                And guess what happens? The former employed student took over the pizza shop, improved the quality and had a fair income. Conclusion is, if you work for your own can set free a lot of extra power.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...