X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gladius
    • Dec 2002
    • 3.8.x

New UBB developments

On January 1st 2010, Mindraven has acquired UBB.threads. While the main differences you'll see will be lower prices and more developers, we'll explain the changes below.

Who is Mindraven?

Mindraven, formed in 1997, was originally known as Wired Community Software. At this time, it was just a 1 man business formed by myself. My company originally created WWWThreads, which was sold to Infopop in 2001 and renamed to UBB.threads. Over the past 9 years I've been directly involved with UBB.threads as the primary developer and I'd like to thank everyone at Groupee for a great relationship during that time.

Now, things have come full circle, with regaining the rights to UBB.threads again, we're increasing our staff to really push the envelope in community software.
    More here: http://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/ubb.../topics/232879

Well, well... I'll be keeping an eye on this. We just might get a third player in the field now...
    Former endorsement revoked. You know the saying - one rotten apple spoils the whole barrel...
  • kyrgyz
    • Oct 2007

I wonder who is behind Mindraven. I won't be surprised if some of the former vBulletin developers will join UBB team. After all, didn't vBulletin spawn from UBB.threads?

Comment

• Static-xbox
      • Dec 2001
      • 3.8.x

No, vBulletin originated as a PHP version of the original UBB, which then became known as UBB.Classic

Comment

• AlexanderT
        • Mar 2003

"Purchasing a UBB license gives you access to the entire "suite" as our competitors refer to it. You don't need to buy a forum license, and a blog license and a gallery license..."

Heh.

Comment

• beishe8
          • Oct 2005
          • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Gladius
          We just might get a third player in the field now...
          Desperately needed.

Thanks for reading. I hope everyone has a wonderful New Year!
          No one from the staff said that here on this forum.
          Last edited by beishe8; Fri 1 Jan '10, 11:42pm.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• AWS
            • Apr 2000
            • 5.2.x

Originally posted by kyrgyz
            I wonder who is behind Mindraven. I won't be surprised if some of the former vBulletin developers will join UBB team. After all, didn't vBulletin spawn from UBB.threads?
            It's Rick Baker the original coder of wwwthreads now know as UBB.Threads. For the history buffs wwwthreads was the first mysql based forum. It was converted to php shortly before Infopop bought it out. Infopop knew they dropped the ball by not embracing John when he was in the process of creating vbulletin. They thought they could get some of the users back they lost if they added a php/mysql product. It didn't work as vbulletin had already grow to be the best. Rick had remained as the lone developer through the whole time. I used wwwthreads for a long time and was involved in testing the early php ports.

This move is a smart one on his part. UBB.Threads is a good product and always has been. It suffered a bit under Infopops watch. I'm glad to see it back in the game. For a time in it's heyday it was the top competitor to vbulletin. Infopop made sure to screw that up when they bought it out. Many UBB users went to wwwthreads during the UBB fiasco and once Infopop bought wwwthreads many exited again this time to vbulletin.
            Admins Zone - Resources for Forum Administrators

Comment

• kyrgyz
              • Oct 2007

Originally posted by AWS
              UBB.Threads is a good product and always has been.
              Thanks for the insight. Granddaddy of all forums needs a major face-lift. UBB.Threads' site reminds me of the glorious 90's. I see Google Earth community is using UBB.Threads. And PhotoPost still offers integration with it.

Comment

• bahbah
                • Dec 2001
                • 3.8.x

Yes it does look a bit old now. Though it does leave me with fond memories of my old UBB, when a forum was a forum and wasn't plagued with all this social networking junk.

Comment

• badblu01
                  • Feb 2004

i think they will make big in roads in to VB if VB doesn’t change some of it policies back and make their product 100 times better. VB 4 is not as good as i wanted it to be it just brings it to par with IPB and not a clear leader.

UBB is still developing their new product which now has the makings to overtake VB in quality.
                  Cricket Talk
                  All Your Aussie + World Cricket Talk

Comment

• Dean C
                    • Mar 2002
                    • 3.5.x

Originally posted by badblu01
                    i think they will make big in roads in to VB if VB doesn’t change some of it policies back and make their product 100 times better. VB 4 is not as good as i wanted it to be it just brings it to par with IPB and not a clear leader.

UBB is still developing their new product which now has the makings to overtake VB in quality.
                    I doubt it to be honest. UBB has been lagging behind for years, and the design is very out-dated. It'll take a long time for them to come close to the level of functionality in vB4 (even if it doesn't all work right now )
                    Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

• Gladius
                      • Dec 2002
                      • 3.8.x

Just got this in the mail:

Hello XYZ,

This is just a reminder that your Members Area access for your UBB License has expired. You can renew your access at http://www.ubbcentral.com to gain access to the latest version of UBB, 7-5-4-2.

License Number: XXXXX
                      Members Area Expire Date: July 23, 2003

This is a one time notification as we move to our new member system. You will not receive any future emails regarding this expiration.

Thank you,
                      UBB Licenses
                      Apparently they bought all the UBB.classic customer records as well as I never bought .threads... interesting.
                      Former endorsement revoked. You know the saying - one rotten apple spoils the whole barrel...

Comment

• Prince
                        • Sep 2001

my board started on UBB, interesting.
                        http://www.ironmagazine.com - blog
                        http://www.ironmagazineforums.com - forums
                        http://www.ironmaglabs.com - supplements

Comment

• steven s
                          • Jul 2004
                          • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Prince
                          my board started on UBB, interesting.
                          I got that email too.
                          My board started in 2000 and was quickly hacked.
                          ...steven
                          www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
                          bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
                          "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

Comment

• cbiweb
                            • Apr 2004
                            • 4.1.x

This may prove to be a very interesting turn of events....
                            ~ Life isn't always fair, but you can be. ~

Comment

• Loco.M
                              • Mar 2005
                              • 3.5.x

This is a great thread, I've bookmarked it.
                              enjoyed the history AWS
                              -- Web Developer for hire
                              ---Online Marketing Tools and Articles

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...