X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mafukie
    • Apr 2000

Infopop Beta Board ...

Oh wow... UBB has been uglified...

Good thing I held off buying UBB, VB saved us all from horrible UBB lameness
  • Greg
    • May 2000

vB rules and kicks all ass.

Comment

• Alwaysmefirst
      • Apr 2000
      • 3.8.x

I can't believe UBB is deleting posts where vbulletin or even suggestions are mentionned!
      http://www.scriptkeeper.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/004027.html
      It shows how they are worried about vbulletin. I am curious to see what their version 6.0 will be...I still have around one year of free update with them but I am thinking about moving my board to vbulletin next month. Tired with Infopop.

Olly

Comment

• firewire
        • May 2000
        • 3.6.x

Hey Alwaysmefirst,

I agree.... deleting postings where just the NAME vBulletin is mentionned is ridiculous and very bad style (I just saw it on the UBB Board). But what did you expect from Infopop? After knowing their relationship towards their users? Their pricing scheme?

I just use the customer's strongest power: Say bye-bye and move along... taking my money with me

Comment

• Martin
          • Apr 2000
          • 3.5.x

From a business standpoint you can't really blame them. They know they have pissed of a large segment of their customer base and those people are looking for other places to buy. Plus, potential customers who come and see all the current strife are going to be turned away and if there are competitors' BBS names on there it just gives the disgruntled present customers and the worried potential customers a place to go look. I probably would have done the same thing if I were them.

The real killer is, John and James tried to negotiate with them to license this as a UBB add-on type deal. I am not privy to what the negotiations entailed but both John and James strike me as reasonable and intelligent people, so I doubt they asked for the moon knowing that the initial payoff if UBB were to market as their next generation would be much higher than the initial payoff here, plus they would have had less headaches in trying to keep everyone happy.

Now, marketting it on their own, they will realise more money, but it will take longer to get it and they have to put up with us, too.
          Webmaster:
          @forumz

Comment

• firewire
            • May 2000
            • 3.6.x

Hi Martin E.

When I joined the UBB community a year ago, it was a real - community.

During the last few months, the useage of the word "business" has been increased steadily on the scriptkeeper.com UBB. And this is how it looks today: Infopop does no longer see the community but the profit... and so people leave. At least I do.

When it comes to deleting posts, I get pissed. Of course they were free to edit/remove the URL to vBulletin (as if this URL would not be known already...), but deleting the WHOLE THREAD is an arrogant, ignorant and insulting act towards their customers... that was what made me really angry... I used to look on the UBB/vBuleltin discussion from a rather non-emotional way. Censorship makes me emotional (yes, I am German ). And I am afraid IMHO there will be many ppl joining the crusade now... the discussion has become emotional, and Infopop is to blaim.

Comment

• Greg
              • May 2000

I just saw that locked thread about the $199 thing, about 14 posts edited by BHarris for mention of vBulletin and some other word. That's not very good business ethics, IMHO.

Comment

• Alwaysmefirst
                • Apr 2000
                • 3.8.x

Originally posted by firewire
                Hey Alwaysmefirst,

I agree.... deleting postings where just the NAME vBulletin is mentionned is ridiculous and very bad style (I just saw it on the UBB Board). But what did you expect from Infopop? After knowing their relationship towards their users? Their pricing scheme?

I just use the customer's strongest power: Say bye-bye and move along... taking my money with me
                Hi firewire,

In fact I expected another reaction from UBB...The staff there was friendly (and I believe that some of them are still nice, but do not have the choice because of some boss) but things changed so much since they increased their rate. I am complaining there mainly for the principle: of course I can pay $75 every year for the update, but it is just not acceptable to increase three times the rate for something that hasn't changed. Maybe it was acceptable if they did it after a major release, but it isn't the case here. And OP is a joke...I work for a big French online community and there is no way we host our forum somewhere else...We are looking for a board like this one (Sql/Php or oracle).

Olly

Comment

• Mafukie
                  • Apr 2000

heh.

how about this one?

Infopoop.

Comment

• Alwaysmefirst
                    • Apr 2000
                    • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Mafukie
                    how about this one?

Infopoop.
                    LOL Mafukie

Olly

Comment

• Greg
                      • May 2000

Well I used to love UBB until no end. But I'm afraid Perl/CGI-based BBSes do have their weaknesses. And now their company itself is just being a dick.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...