Clear All
  • Buztin
    • May 2001

this is an interesting announcement

Click Here

Comment

• NetherChris
      • Jun 2001

That thread actually shows iB3 outperforming vB 2.2.1... however let's not forget the little note at the bottom of the bench:

Test System: 750MHz Duron, 256MB DDR RAM, 30GB HD, WinXP Pro, Apache 1.3.20, PHP 4.1.0, MySQL 3.23.38
      Working for Netherweb (http://www.netherweb.com) I'd like to think I know a bit about servers, and I do know that as far as a medium-to-large user forum server goes that is a joke. To start, apache for windows isn't even supported or stable yet... and they are already bragging it outperformed vB 2.2.1.

I'd like to see some Linux benchmarks on a system that is a tad better. They also advertised the system to have 256MB of ram... which in the modern world is really not enough for a large size server. The mySQL queries would absolutely eat up ram (especially buffers and would increase HD writing). I would bet that if an extra 256MB were installed, the benchmarks would be far closer to each other.

Also let's not forget that vB includes legacy support for php 3, Aurora doesn't.... as much as I love iB (we actually ran it before switching to vB)... you really do get what you pay for.

Comment

• tubedogg
        • Feb 2001

I really shouldn't open my mouth here but what the hell...

Windows XP is not meant to be used as a server, first off. Then I highly doubt that those tests were done with Aurora installed on a remote server which is going to make a huge difference.

The programs were obviously not put under any stress with only 256MB of RAM on the machine as none of them (vB included) would work in a high-stress situation with that much RAM.

Comment

• krs-one
          • Jun 2001

"To start, apache for windows isn't even supported or stable yet"

Isn't 2.0 stable for Win2k? I thought thats what the last Web Techniques said. Oh well, he didn't test it on there.

You may get for what you pay for with vB, but for people who can't afford $85 bucks (for whatever reason), iB Aurora seems like a nice alternative.

-Vic

Comment

• Martin
            • Apr 2000
            • 3.5.x

Hey Buztin, you have 9 posts here, 5 of which are ads for Ikonboard, are not a licensed member of this forum and can't read (http://vbulletin.com/forum/showthrea...threadid=36725). I really don't think Matt would much appreciate you over here spamming for his board.
            Webmaster:
            @forumz

Comment

• Rich
              • Aug 2001

Originally posted by Martin
              Hey Buztin, you have 9 posts here, 5 of which are ads for Ikonboard, are not a licensed member of this forum and can't read (http://vbulletin.com/forum/showthrea...threadid=36725). I really don't think Matt would much appreciate you over here spamming for his board.
              I don't really see how that can be considered spamming. He simply pointed out that there is now a PHP version of Ikonboard planned. The purpose of this thread is not for you to try and put down Ikonboard, but to help RaptorX decide which BBS will work best for him. I'd hate to see him spend money on a vBulletin simply because he wants a PHP board without realizing that Ikonboard will offer the same for free.

And, RaptorX, Ikonboard will also soon (if it doesn't already) offer paid prioritized support.

Comment

• Freddie Bingham
                Former vBulletin Developer
                • May 2000
                • 1.1.x

Remember the purpose of this thread AND this forum is for us to sell our software, not to promote other software alternatives.

Comment

• Martin
                  • Apr 2000
                  • 3.5.x

when more than half a person's posts are dedicated to a competitive product, I feel no compunction at all about "putting him down". his purpose for being here is quite obvious and we have a thread explaining that posts that serve merely to advertise a different product are unacceptable. Is it my fault that he apparently can't read?
                  Webmaster:
                  @forumz

Comment

• Freddie Bingham
                    Former vBulletin Developer
                    • May 2000
                    • 1.1.x

There is nothing to debate here.

We have a rather liberal policy in terms of allowing discussions to occur regarding competing products, and yes even if something is "free", it is still a competitor.

Why do you (and you know who you are) feel it is kosher to visit our forum and attempt to 'sway' potential customers of ours away? How long do you think you would last if you walked into K-Mart and started yelling "Don't shop here, Walmart is cheaper!"

'nuff said.

If this type of behavior continues we will be forced to review our policy on these sort of posts. If you want to support your favorite free forum of the week than do so by answering questions on THEIR forum. Do so by adding to the code, by writing hacks. Don't do it by posting here.

Comment

• Jordan
                      • Feb 2001

To any pro-Ikonboard'ers, please do not come here just to spam for Ikonboard or do anything remotely close to spamming.

This is a friendly board and there is no need for it here, especially considering their guidelines prohibit it.

To the vBulletin moderators - if you feel this topic is going in a bad direction, please close it.

Thank you.

Regards,

Jordan Gadd
                      Ikonboard Team
                      Jordan Gadd
                      Contact Information

Comment

• Joe Gronlund
                        • Nov 2001
                        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by freddie
                        There is nothing to debate here.

We have a rather liberal policy in terms of allowing discussions to occur regarding competing products, and yes even if something is "free", it is still a competitor.

Why do you (and you know who you are) feel it is kosher to visit our forum and attempt to 'sway' potential customers of ours away? How long do you think you would last if you walked into K-Mart and started yelling "Don't shop here, Walmart is cheaper!"

'nuff said.
                        freddie is good, i must say, also nothing against ikonboard but i dont even like the name, its not a bad board but what about support etc?? support on this board is outstanding what is theirs like??
                        MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                        Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

• Rich
                          • Aug 2001

Paid support is or will soon be available for Ikonboard if a user wishes to pay for it. I'm not sure of the price.

Freddie, RaptorX did not ask you to sell him vB, he asked for a fair comparison of it against Ikonboard. As you (plural) are clearly (but understandably) biased towards vBulletin, it is only fair to RaptorX for him to see some Ikonboard pros as well. And also, a large part of the vB arguement seemed to be speed/PHP-good-PERL-bad; now that an apparently faster-than-vB PHP version of Ikonboard is going to be available, it may help RaptorX to know about it. vBulletin is an excellent BBS, and if not for the cost, I'd possibly have taken it over Ikonboard (at least before the PHP version of iB was announced). But I don't want RaptorX to go and spend his money without knowing the facts.

As Ikonboard are not in this for money but for helping people, this thread there may have been slightly less biased.

RaptorX needs to choose which BBS will work best for him. As Ikonboard is free (not that I'd get money from sales if it weren't) and the iB community, including myself, respects and likes vBulletin, Ikonboard has nothing to gain from one more user. It makes no difference to my life which he chooses. I just want to help RaptorX make the decision that best suits his needs.

Comment

• Jordan
                            • Feb 2001

But the manner used by Buztin to "announce" iB PHP was not in the best interest of the discussion guidelines established by the vBulletin team:

While we are quite happy to have constructive comparative conversations about competitor's products, we will not tolerate blatant adverts or the sort of 'ooh look, yet another bulletin board' threads. Also, we would appreciate it if you refrain from blatent bashing of other boards.
                            To the vBulletin moderators, please close this topic or clean it up as I do not see anything else being gained from it and it is definitely not in the best interest of vBulletin or Ikonboard.

If you have any questions or something else to say to me, please contact me by any of the means in my signature.

Thank you.

Regards,

Jordan Gadd
                            Ikonboard Team
                            Jordan Gadd
                            Contact Information

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...