X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RaptorX
    • Nov 2001

10 Good Reasons

Ok people, its either spend $200 on a bulletin board..or spend $0

Now, give me 10 good reasons why i should choose you guys over IkonBoard (www.IkonBoard.com)(http://nbcgi.hypermart.net/forums/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi)

Ive noticed IkonBoard is way more customizable and includes all the features that VBulletin (that i have found) and many more. The only reason i want 10 reasons is because itll save me a couple HUNDRED bucks.
  • Dave#
    • Jul 2000

Re: 10 Good Reasons

Originally posted by RaptorX
    Ok people, its either spend $200 on a bulletin board..or spend $0

Now, give me 10 good reasons why i should choose you guys over IkonBoard (www.IkonBoard.com)(http://nbcgi.hypermart.net/forums/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi)

Ive noticed IkonBoard is way more customizable and includes all the features that VBulletin (that i have found) and many more. The only reason i want 10 reasons is because itll save me a couple HUNDRED bucks.

I suggest you ask the excellent IkonBoard team about the relative benifits of each product as we are going to be a little biased here.

One thing to remember is that VB is a commercially distributed product meaning that as a licence holder you get quality levels of support.
    http://forums.cpfc.org/

Comment

• Martz
      • Apr 2001

You should pick the one that suits you, your site and your budget best - not that has 10 points to make you buy it. If you know what you are looking for there shouldn't be any competition.
      HP DL-380 G6, 2x E5520, 28GB RAM, 4x300GB SAS, VMWare ESXi
      -
      Unreal Tournament : Assault forums - irc://irc.utassault.net:6667 -

Comment

• RaptorX
        • Nov 2001

Im looking for the better bulliten board, if i can get one free im for it, but if you convince my this is better id buy it

Comment

• Martin
          • Apr 2000
          • 3.5.x

It really depends on what you're looking for.

Look, see which has the most features you want, which is going along the growth path you want, and make your decision from there.
          Webmaster:
          @forumz

Comment

• Hooper
            • Apr 2001
            • 3.5.x

1) Support for backend software.

vbulletin is a more complicated program. There are tons of templates and runs from a database setting. Support for such is of great value.

2) vBulletin is faster. If installed on the right hardware, vBulletin mySQL based software is faster than that of a CGI file storage type software. vBulletin wasn't designed for being able to install on all servers. It was designed for a database setting. You will most likely pay more to your host to have DB mySQL access. The vBulletin software is designed for medium to large boards. CGI based software would be better suited for smaller boards.

3) The value.
            Check out the options and the frills of vBulletin. It is clear to see that all of the added functions of vBulletin are of value.

I am not going to type out 10. Fact is no one is here to tell you to purchase vBulletin over a free software. I have used pretty much all of the available free bulletins as well as 3 commercial products including vBulletin. There are two I feel that rank on top and vBulletin is one of them.

There is nothing wrong with using a product as Ikonboard if it will handle what you are trying to accomplish without pissing off your host. When you outgrow it, try vBulletin. Fact is I think people should start with vBulletin so they don't waste any time before figuring the software out. There is a learning curve to the vBulletin template system.

You didn't really think anyone was going to type out 10 reasons did you? We could I assure you.

I just wanted to mention that I feel Ikonboard, although not a true competitor of vBulletin, is the best of the free boards. I enjoyed messing with it for the short time that I did. But there is no comparison when you put the two boards up against each other. There is clearly a "prestige" with vBulletin.
            Last edited by Hooper; Fri 9 Nov '01, 5:55am.

Comment

• Prince
              • Sep 2001

Im looking for the better bulliten board, if i can get one free im for it, but if you convince my this is better id buy it
              Look at it this way, the developers of VB get paid to develop this software, and there are 5 of them.

IkonBoard is developed by one person (correct me if I'm wrong) and he does not get paid for it.

Bottom line is: "You get what you pay for". So, do you really think that a free product is going to be as good as one that costs $160? I don't.

that's my $.02
              http://www.ironmagazine.com - blog
              http://www.ironmagazineforums.com - forums
              http://www.ironmaglabs.com - supplements

Comment

• Thomas P
                • Apr 2001

1-10) IB was all time in beta when I had to chose -> so I chose vB.

Ive noticed IkonBoard is way more customizable and includes all the features that VBulletin (that i have found) and many more
                I really doubt that...
                -Tom
                www.MCSEboard.de
                German Windows Server & IT Pro Community dedicated to Windows Client & Server Systems. MVPs inside

Comment

• Tolitz
                  • Dec 2000

*shrug* I dunno ... my take is that iKonboard eternally being in beta status gives its a reason for being buggy ... an alibi, if you may...

I mean, come on, version 2 never really got out of beta either, lol...

iB3 has a buggy search feature right now (I should know, I am reviewing the script for my article)... and for all its features, it's still one of the slowest boards out there... imho
                  OPEN TECH SUPPORT
                  "Tech is our middle name!"

Comment

• Tolitz
                    • Dec 2000

Originally posted by Prince
                    Bottom line is: "You get what you pay for". So, do you really think that a free product is going to be as good as one that costs $160? I don't.
                    Unless of course you're talking about UBB
                    OPEN TECH SUPPORT

Comment

• Prince
                      • Sep 2001

Originally posted by Tolitz
                      Unless of course you're talking about UBB
                      Very true!

But, I would still choose UBB over IB. But, I would not pay for UBB when I can (and did) buy VB for a lot less.
                      http://www.ironmagazine.com - blog
                      http://www.ironmagazineforums.com - forums
                      http://www.ironmaglabs.com - supplements

Comment

• xCRYINGoutLOUDx

1.) Ikonboard releases about 3094230948234 betas a week and still can't stablize their code

2.) When running Ikonboard on your server it uses about like 10-20MB of space.. whoa..

3.) How can you resist the incredible charms of vB??

Comment

• RaptorX
                          • Nov 2001

Ikonboard is in RC1 and it also says.. "now with mySQL and pgSQL!"
                          They also say that it is stable enough to use as a main board and can support more than 10000 users, also they give u access to all the templates... I downloaded it to test it out and it executes anything in less than a second, it seems as fast as vBulletin.. i still dont know if i should keep Ikonboard though, i dont want any nasty surprises...

Comment

• Hooper
                            • Apr 2001
                            • 3.5.x

Ikonboard is in RC1 and it also says.. "now with mySQL and pgSQL!"
                            They also say that it is stable enough to use as a main board and can support more than 10000 users, also they give u access to all the templates... I downloaded it to test it out and it executes anything in less than a second, it seems as fast as vBulletin.. i still dont know if i should keep Ikonboard though, i dont want any nasty surprises...

Then go use it. When you get done playing around with the toys come on back and purchase a real program. Threads like this are useless here in the vBulletin Community unless the person is truly interested in the benefits of vBulletin. It seems you have made your choice as to the direction you will follow. No need for posting the benefits of other programs in this forum. It is against vBulletin policy to do such and will end with a closed thread.

For more information in regards to forum rules please see this thread. Promotion Rule

I hope our information was of help to you.
                            Last edited by Hooper; Fri 9 Nov '01, 2:24pm.

Comment

• Tolitz
                              • Dec 2000

What Hooper said

Anyway, if you don't agree it's slow, go to any iKonboard forum and use the search feature... compare it with vBulletin

I am wrapping up on a forum script shootout of sorts (would be done next week), with six forum scripts in it .. it'll hopefully shed some light as to the differences of each script
                              OPEN TECH SUPPORT

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...