• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kuyenmotdivad
    • Apr 2006
    • 4.1.x

Which Norton Product?

Hi,

I am going to be buying an antivirus program soon but not sure which to pick out of these two, which would be best for a user who uses the internet and plays online games?
    1. Norton 360
    2. Norton Internet Security 2010

Thanks
  • TTG
    • May 2004
    • 3.6.x

If you value your PC, DON'T install any Norton products.
    There are loads of free and good anti virus products ..Click here
    Last edited by TTG; Mon 23 Nov '09, 11:59am.

Comment

• kuyenmotdivad
      • Apr 2006
      • 4.1.x

How come whats wrong with Norton?

Comment

• Cole2026
        • Apr 2004
        • 3.6.x

Neither. Norton is a horrible investment. It is very intrusive and not very good.

I personally have not run an antivirus software for several years now. If you are wise about your habits on the internet, then an antivirus software is not needed. However, if you insist on having one, I would recommend the free Avast Antivirus or the excellent (but commercial) Nod32. The latter is arguably the best in the industry, as it is not intrusive and is very good with picking things up / avoiding false positives.

Comment

• Floris
          • Dec 2001

Norton is history. Get rid of programs that slug down your system.

Comment

• ComputerVitals
            • Oct 2005
            • 3.8.x

Both of those you listed, IMO are severly bloated and will weigh any system down. They will use what they can..
            I use this: http://www.symantec.com/norton/antivirus
            Just the Norton Antivirus,
            Basically you get the AV when you buy the other two you listed. But doesn't have the bulk of the features that most people end up turning off.
            It does a good job by itself.

It's also on every computer we have a work.

Comment

• beishe8
              • Oct 2005
              • 4.2.X

Go for Norton 360.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• kuyenmotdivad
                • Apr 2006
                • 4.1.x

Thanks guys... gonna give Norton 360 a try.

Comment

• derfy
                  • Jul 2005
                  • 3.8.x

Waiting for your next post, "Why is my computer so slow now?".

+1 for Avast. Used to use AVG, but it started annoying me.

Comment

• Jaraguro
                    • Nov 2009
                    • 3.8.x

Norton 360 has been fantastic. This is my second year with it.

Originally posted by kuyenmotdivad
                    Thanks guys... gonna give Norton 360 a try.
                    Honestly, I don't know what the others are complaining about. I've been using the latest version of Norton 360 and it's pretty fantastic. Doesn't slow me down at all and completely maintains itself.
                    However, I would recommend disabling 'Back-up' on the settings for Norton 360 if you don't care about it. It will eventually fill up and the program will annoy you to buy more storage.
                    Better off disabling if you really don't need it.

Also, Avast I cannot find in retailers in the US nor can I find much else other then Norton and Trend Micro. Everything else there is, is total garbage.
                    And please, do not use free Anti-virus programs. You'll regret it later.
                    Yes, I know about the free Avast download, but it does not even work. =/

Comment

• goyo
                      • Dec 2002

There's so many fast AV programs...I can't think of a good reason why'd anybody use a SLOW alternative (other than remembering the old days when Norton Commander meant something).

I'd choose something from the following:
                      • Eset NOD32 (lightning fast, reliable)
                      • Kaspersky Anti-Virus
                      • BitDefender Anti-Virus
                      • F-Secure Anti-Virus
                      • AVG Anti-Virus

If you don't have special needs Win7 built in firewall good enough...I'd choose only a standalone AV and maybe a free spy-ware killer (but Win7 built in malicious software remover could be sufficient as well).

Almost forgot:
                      Free AV alternative: Microsoft Security Essentials
                      Last edited by goyo; Sat 28 Nov '09, 3:23pm.

Comment

• icarusforde
                        • Feb 2009
                        • 3.8.x

I'm with you Goyo. Use something fast... like Avast, or NOD32. It's amazing what you can do with a computer that doesnt take ages.

And if you are gaming, then you want something light on system resources too.

Comment

• Cole2026
                          • Apr 2004
                          • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Jaraguro

Also, Avast I cannot find in retailers in the US nor can I find much else other then Norton and Trend Micro. Everything else there is, is total garbage.
                          And please, do not use free Anti-virus programs. You'll regret it later.
                          Yes, I know about the free Avast download, but it does not even work. =/
                          Oh please. Anyone who wants to make any type of educated decision should completely ignore your post.

Avast and Nod32 both have Advanced+ certification from AV-Comparatives, each of which are very good at proactively detecting new malware and have very few false positives. Norton Antivirus bogs down the system and only got advanced certification.

So according to actual evidence, Avast (a free product) is better than Norton (a paid product). It is foolhardy to believe that a product is better because it costs more.

Comment

• icarusforde
                            • Feb 2009
                            • 3.8.x

Oh please. Anyone who wants to make any type of educated decision should completely ignore your post.

Avast and Nod32 both have Advanced+ certification from AV-Comparatives, each of which are very good at proactively detecting new malware and have very few false positives. Norton Antivirus bogs down the system and only got advanced certification.

So according to actual evidence, Avast (a free product) is better than Norton (a paid product). It is foolhardy to believe that a product is better because it costs more.
                            QFT.

Avast is better than Norton, that's for sure. I <3 my avast.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...