X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • socceronly
    • Nov 2009
    • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Zachery
    Apple makes the logic/mother board, but most of the other hardware is generic pc these das.
    I thought Intel made them.
    Hmmm. Cheese.

Comment

• Sergio68
      • May 2002
      • 6.0.X

Linux crashes? What was the movie?
      Italian Body Building & Fitness : www.BodyWeb.com
      Italian unofficial support Forum : www.vBulletin.it

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by socceronly
        Can't get more generic than Intel motherboards.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• kentaurus
          • May 2000
          • 3.6.x

Originally posted by wii
          I'm planning a new laptop purchase, as a longtime PC user, I actually like Windows, but I love the hardware of the Macs, should I get one, and just use Bootcamp in case I need Windows stuff, or should I just get a new Windows laptop?

Let me read your thoughts about this,

Thanks
          I have been a PC user for several months, barely touching a Mac when a friend had one and I played with it a little, often disliking the thing and having trouble to do the most simple task (like renaming a file, resizing a window, or even opening a program). It is ... different.

A couple months ago, in a project I had the requirement of developing everything on a Mac and using some Apple technology (WebObjects, mainly). I could have gone the way around and installed everything in a Windows computer and then hope it worked in the Mac, instead I took the MacBook PRO and forced myself into using that thing for two months. Again, the most simple things like resizing a window and doing cut-paste on a file were major trouble.

However, as the time went by, I got used to that thing... and right now, I am seriously considering buying one Mac for personal use at home. It turned out that after I went by the "how do I use this thing" stage everything works.. actually, everthing works. I haven't had a hardware failure, the applications are simple and do what they should do, it rarely crashes, the battery on the laptop can last up to 4 hours, it has good resolution for playing videos .. actually, I think I have spent a lot less time tweaking, configuring and fixing things that I did with, say, Linux. I spend more time working and less time dealing with random OS issues.

In fact, when I went back to a PC I was missing several things, I got used to the taskbar in MacOs, the multitouch pad is addictive and the keys felt more natural. The network in my Mac just worked without any horrible configuration screen between, plus the bluettooth was nice. The time capsule works really well and the MobileMe is also great. It's like using a highly polished product .. it does the same thing as a pc but you start to notice the little details and the fact that everything is already there after you use the mac for a while. It is difficult to describe, it just "feels" good using that thing. But I don't think is for everybody, if I haven't been forced to use a Mac for two months most probably I'd be bashing that and recommending a PC instead. You need to give that a chance and figure out if it's for you. The more problems you have had with a PC the more you will appreciate a Mac, I guess.
          CemZoo Wiki - The complete anime encyclopedia
          CemZoo Foros - Spanish Anime & Gaming Community (also browse our archive)

Comment

• Quillz
            • Nov 2004
            • 5.0.X

Originally posted by spiderweb
            Have you guys heard of Linux? It runs on most anything and these days it's really quite cool. There is also the benefit of being free, rarely crashes or issues with viruses. You can also lock your wife / girlfriend out
            Have you heard of CP/M? It runs on ancient hardware from the 1970s and these days it's really quite useless. It also doesn't have the benefit of being free, but hey, it probably doesn't crash or get viruses anymore because it's completely obsolete.

Seriously, though, Linux has been stuck in a perpetual state of "not quite ready for the desktop" for years now. Fair or not, Linux will not see mainstream appeal until it works just like Windows. (I don't agree with that perspective, but that's how it is.)
            Forums

Comment

• Sergio68
              • May 2002
              • 6.0.X

Correct, if you want a Unix like OS that is friendly like windows get a Mac
              Italian Body Building & Fitness : www.BodyWeb.com
              Italian unofficial support Forum : www.vBulletin.it

Comment

• Jerz
                • Apr 2007
                • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Quillz
                There's nothing ironic about running Windows on Macintosh hardware. Microsoft sells software to run on hardware, any hardware, whether it's made by Apple or Dell.
                Maybe so, but it's still ironic as they're competing companies.

Comment

• kentaurus
                  • May 2000
                  • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Jerz
                  Maybe so, but it's still ironic as they're competing companies.
                  If that would be the case then Mac users wouldn't use Microsoft Office.. as they are competing companies. But I don't see people having any problem with that. Nowadays Microsoft and Apple doesn't seem to inspire the heated debate from years ago, even if Windows stills competes against MacOS and Zune competes against the iPod.. Windows seems to have more formidable competitors than MacOs to worry about

Oh.. following that logic nobody in Microsoft should use Google, as they are competing companies That makes sense to me, but I am really intrigued to know if everybody inside Microsoft uses Bing
                  Last edited by kentaurus; Mon 30 Nov '09, 8:35pm.
                  CemZoo Wiki - The complete anime encyclopedia
                  CemZoo Foros - Spanish Anime & Gaming Community (also browse our archive)

Comment

• icarusforde
                    • Feb 2009
                    • 3.8.x

Oh.. following that logic nobody in Microsoft should use Google, as they are competing companies That makes sense to me, but I am really intrigued to know if everybody inside Microsoft uses Bing
                    Probably not, cause Bing sucks. :P

Comment

• Jerz
                      • Apr 2007
                      • 3.8.x

What? So because one product is better than another that is not competition?
                      I run OS X because I personally prefer it to Windows. I run Microsoft Office because I prefer it to iWork. Does that mean they are not competing? No..
                      I have a friend in telecom who works for T-Mobile, but uses AT&T. They are competing companies. I find it ironic.

Comment

• Zachery
                        Former vBulletin Support
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                        Can't get more generic than Intel motherboards.
                        Must be some old nugget of outdated informatiion from a mac zealot friend of mine.

Comment

• Vicros
                          • Dec 2007
                          • 3.8.x

The MAC and PC debate can go one for decades..just like it always has been, but now'a days its all about preference and personal feel and use for each. I prefer the MAC over Windows, for what i do..Im a web designer, and i work much better on the mac. There are more games for PC so thats why most of your pc gamers use just that.. a PC. But to each his own, and i like my MAC. Thats all there is to it really...personal preference.
                          Pixel Playground
                          vB Skins.. Supplying Skins for the little guys....lol

Comment

• jasetaro
                            • Mar 2009
                            • 4.0.x

Originally posted by socceronly
                            Nope, I don't know who builds the motherboards but they're designed by Apple... I doubt very much that Intel is designing and building motherboards using the Nvidia chipsets used in the current generation of MacBooks and the Mac Mini.

Comment

• Ryan Ashbrook
                              • May 2003

Originally posted by spiderweb
                              Really?? Debian is by far my preference for server use. I only went to Fedora on my desktop because they had drivers for intels newest crap. The main draw back to Linux is the driver support mainly video. If you have really new hardware you'll need to play around to get it working right but 3 months old and it should all work out of the box.
                              Linux has terrible support for Wireless cards too (my one issue with Fedora). And there's not much you can do about that when you can't connect to the internet.
                              Ryan Ashbrook - My Blog - My Twitter

Comment

• socceronly
                                • Nov 2009
                                • 3.8.x

If that would be the case then Mac users wouldn't use Microsoft Office.. as they are competing companies.
                                ------------
                                Oh my. You just summed up all the idiocy in one sentence. The part I don't understand.

The companies are competing. NOT THE USERS.

Why people advocate and schill for a corporation because they think they bought their way into some exclusive club by purchasing something at best buy is beyond me.
                                Hmmm. Cheese.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...