Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Quillz
    • Nov 2004
    • 5.0.X

I've never had any trouble getting Wi-Fi to work when I use Ubuntu on stock Dell hardware.
    Forums

Comment

• wii
      • Sep 2000
      • 3.8.x

Still in doubt, I look at the HP Envy 13 again, which looks great, but it's expensive.

The MacBooks are also great, but I don't like OSX that much, it looks like a kids operating system, all those animated icons and stuff, I really don't need that, and my main problem would be all those Windows only programs that I have to use, which I can't run on OSX, I know it can run Windows, but how well does that work for a computer that is not made for it?

Comment

• icarusforde
        • Feb 2009
        • 3.8.x

You can get programs (Paralell Desktops) that run windows and windows programs inside mac, and it works great. Used it once before, and if i ever got a mac, that would be first thing i would gladly shell out cash for.

Comment

• wii
          • Sep 2000
          • 3.8.x

Yeah, I know, but would running windows on a macbook perform as well as a pc laptop with similar specs ?

Comment

• dutchbb
            • Nov 2003
            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by wii
            Yeah, I know, but would running windows on a macbook perform as well as a pc laptop with similar specs ?
            When using Boot Camp: yes.

Comment

• Quillz
              • Nov 2004
              • 5.0.X

Originally posted by wii
              Still in doubt, I look at the HP Envy 13 again, which looks great, but it's expensive.

The MacBooks are also great, but I don't like OSX that much, it looks like a kids operating system, all those animated icons and stuff, I really don't need that, and my main problem would be all those Windows only programs that I have to use, which I can't run on OSX, I know it can run Windows, but how well does that work for a computer that is not made for it?
              If you're bothered by graphics, then you might as well just use MS-DOS or some other CLI interface, because all OS are moving towards "animated icons and stuff."

Also, a Macintosh is built for Windows. No matter what Apple tells you, a Mac is just a pretty chassis over the same, generic Intel hardware you find in any Dell, HP or Compaq. Except it costs more.
              Originally posted by wii
              Of course, because there is no difference between the two. At all. Macs use Intel parts. So do Dells and HPs and Compaqs and eMachines, etc. Macs use the same graphics cards and wireless cards, etc. A Mac and a Dell with exactly the same specs and hardware will run Windows exactly the same.
              Forums

Comment

• socceronly
                • Nov 2009
                • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Quillz
                If you're bothered by graphics, then you might as well just use MS-DOS or some other CLI interface, because all OS are moving towards "animated icons and stuff."

Also, a Macintosh is built for Windows. No matter what Apple tells you, a Mac is just a pretty chassis over the same, generic Intel hardware you find in any Dell, HP or Compaq. Except it costs more.

Of course, because there is no difference between the two. At all. Macs use Intel parts. So do Dells and HPs and Compaqs and eMachines, etc. Macs use the same graphics cards and wireless cards, etc. A Mac and a Dell with exactly the same specs and hardware will run Windows exactly the same.
                They come from the same pool of parts, but are not necessarily the same.

Dollar for dollar you will get a better laptop with a PC.

Look at the ASUS laptops. They are apparently the most reliable from a recent Toms Hardware article.
                Hmmm. Cheese.

Comment

• relou
                  • Dec 2009
                  • 3.8.x

Macs are for more for designers

Comment

• socceronly
                    • Nov 2009
                    • 3.8.x

Originally posted by relou
                    Why.

Give one explanation why.

Photoshop, illustrator .... ect... it's all software. That is what we use. The OS has nothing to do with it.

If I could use those on Ubuntu I wouldn't use OSX or Windows.
                    Hmmm. Cheese.

Comment

• dutchbb
                      • Nov 2003
                      • 3.8.x

Eh.. macs are for everyone now, you can even get them for very affordable prices

Comment

• Quillz
                        • Nov 2004
                        • 5.0.X

Not exclusively, no. Anyone can use them.

Not to mention that all the same "designing" software is available on Windows, too.
                        Forums

Comment

• fPower
                          • Aug 2009
                          • 3.8.x

If I would get another Mac now, I'd go for the 27-inch Quad-Core iMac. It costs $1999, but that's with a 2560 x 1440 27 inch screen. It's probably the most cost efficient Mac that ever has been manufactured.

Originally posted by wii
                          But how well does Windows run on Macs, is it totally comparable to a similar Windows PC, or are there performance differences? I read somewhere that the drivers for Macs are not the best.
                          I don't know if there are any tests for Windows 7, but here's a thread I came across comparing how Vista runs on Macs compared with how Vista runs on other PCs:
                          Last edited by fPower; Sun 6 Dec '09, 1:17am.

Comment

• wii
                            • Sep 2000
                            • 3.8.x

Apparently Windows 7 is not officially supported.

Comment

• ericgtr
                              • Oct 2003

Originally posted by Floris
                              Don't listen to Steve and the other Windows boiz

It's Mac OSX or bust!
                              Every time I turn on the TV I see that MAC guy slamming Windows, never once have I seen an ad that actually promotes their product and I know nothing about it because all they do is put down Windows. Reading through this thread I am learning way more than I would ever from a MAC ad, in fact I am certain if they weren't such a turn off I would've bought the mini by now.

Comment

• Quillz
                                • Nov 2004
                                • 5.0.X

Originally posted by wii
                                Apparently Windows 7 is not officially supported.
                                Whether it's officially supported or not, Windows 7 works just fine on Boot Camp using the 3.0 drivers. I've had no issues whatsoever. Virtually anything that works with Vista will work with 7, since they share the same 6.x kernel.
                                Originally posted by ericgtr
                                Every time I turn on the TV I see that MAC guy slamming Windows, never once have I seen an ad that actually promotes their product and I know nothing about it because all they do is put down Windows. Reading through this thread I am learning way more than I would ever from a MAC ad, in fact I am certain if they weren't such a turn off I would've bought the mini by now.
                                It's because Apple is the immature loser who can't do anything except bash the competition, like Pepsi used to do for years and years against Coca-Cola.
                                Forums

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...