Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TomJames
    • Feb 2006
    • 3.8.x

I switched from PC to an iMac (Intel) for a few years and for the most part I liked the OS X interface, but I found it slower to do many things in. Mainly because it is more usable for the average user but by extension seems to lack support for more advanced users who want to skip all the help and GUI sections. Having said that Windows is getting increasingly bad for that, so really a Linux distro is the only way to go if you prefer operating in a CLI. Either way hopefully you won't be spending that much time changing those sort of settings.

Anyway, I mainly used Windows on my iMac (via Bootcamp) but that's because a lot of the work I do has better software support on Windows than it does on Mac. I also found that Vista (and even moreso Windows 7) had a quicker to use interface than OS X. Once my iMac died I also discovered the rather extortionate cost to repair it (so much so that I bought a brand new, top of the line, computer for a few quid less than the repair bill on my older Mac) and recovering data from a Mac partitioned drive was... fun to say the least.

So yeah... in conclusion if you prefer to work in a 'simpler' more 'child friendly' interface then go for a Mac, you also get some stunning hardware and you can be an idiot on the Internet and be very unlucky to catch something. On the otherhand if you consider yourself a more advanced user, then you might find yourself feeling a bit coddled by OS X in which case, assuming you're smart in how you browse and use the Internet you'll be find with Windows. Of course I would also recommend installing a Linux distro if you want to have some real fun with your computer
    - TomJames

Comment

• Sergio68
      • May 2002
      • 6.0.X

Originally posted by Razasharp
      OS X is what an operating system should be like - that's why Windows and Linux try to rip it off whenever they can.

There's no way I would go back to windows now.
      Originally posted by Ryan Ashbrook
      I don't use anything but HP anymore.

The HP Touchsmart is a very sexy computer, both in looks and specs.
      Originally posted by TomJames
      So yeah... in conclusion if you prefer to work in a 'simpler' more 'child friendly' interface then go for a Mac
      Boys, there is a little bit of confusion between hardware, software and OS.
      HP can be cool, but it's still only a piece of plastic like the last beautiful Mac Book Pro.

Linux can be fun IF you can use it for real, if you are not confident it can be a pain in the A.

And Mac, it's childish (LOL), but it's alway BSD, a rock stable Unix-like operating system Let a childish system administrator tell you this

And last but not least, software, you can found pretty much everything for Mac, I can built sites, run other systems, movies, music, email, surf and everything across my mind

Now choose whatever you like, feel or prefer.
      Italian Body Building & Fitness : www.BodyWeb.com
      Italian unofficial support Forum : www.vBulletin.it

Comment

• dutchbb
        • Nov 2003
        • 3.8.x

OS X Leopard snow doesn't look 'childish' to me, it's a very professional looking piece of software, easy to use for everyone, what do you want more?

Comment

• Razasharp
          • Feb 2005
          • 3.7.x

I don't think it looks childish either - it is the most elegant OS out there.
          What's Special About Ruby on Rails?

Comment

• Temptations
            • Dec 2008
            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Razasharp
            I don't think it looks childish either - it is the most elegant OS out there.
            Amen

Comment

• TomJames
              • Feb 2006
              • 3.8.x

I never used the word childish, so please do not imply that I did. I said it was 'child friendly' which I meant in the sense that it has a very user friendly interface that pretty much anyone can use. I believe it is the most accessible OS in that regard, but equally that doesn't suit every user, every situation or every task. Personally I prefer Windows for day to day tasks and Linux for my servers, but I do enjoy using Mac as well and post-tiger I think it is starting to look much more elegant and professional. It just doesn't work that well for the tasks I do regularly.

Though on the other hand if my main tasks consisted of music, movies, email, web browsing and web design & development I would probably be more tempted to work on my Mac more often. Especially as it has some brilliant software for writing PHP etc in. I think the key point to remember is that all OSs have flaws and killer features, you just have to choose the one that will work best for you. You need to look at your user requirements and the enviroment in which you work and decide which OS best meets your needs and then decide on a machine. Choosing a OS because of the machine looking nice is a flawed way of working and is just setting you up for disapointment. Of course if you do get a MacBook then you can dabble in both.

I hope you find a machine that works well for you
              - TomJames

Comment

• Sergio68
                • May 2002
                • 6.0.X

I'm sorry, I'm italian and I'm not confident with the language, my bad.

On the other hand I'm quite curious now, may I ask what's your job Tom?

Comment

• Ryan Ashbrook
                  • May 2003

Originally posted by Sergio68
                  Boys, there is a little bit of confusion between hardware, software and OS.
                  HP can be cool, but it's still only a piece of plastic like the last beautiful Mac Book Pro.

Linux can be fun IF you can use it for real, if you are not confident it can be a pain in the A.

And Mac, it's childish (LOL), but it's alway BSD, a rock stable Unix-like operating system Let a childish system administrator tell you this

And last but not least, software, you can found pretty much everything for Mac, I can built sites, run other systems, movies, music, email, surf and everything across my mind

Now choose whatever you like, feel or prefer.
                  Why did I get quoted? I was merely commenting on what someone else said about HP being a reliable computer nowadays.

I could careless about what other people run, you won't convert me and I probably won't convert you (not like I'd even try anyway).

This is why I can't stand PC vs Mac debates. The fanboys from either side have to come out a try to prove that they are better than the other party when in reality, both are equally stupid for trying to sway personal preference.
                  Ryan Ashbrook - My Blog - My Twitter

Comment

• Sergio68
                    • May 2002
                    • 6.0.X

Originally posted by Ryan Ashbrook
                    Why did I get quoted?

The fanboys from either side have to come out a try to prove that they are better than the other party when in reality, both are equally stupid for trying to sway personal preference.
                    I'm so sorry to be such a stupid, I thought to express just my opinion about it.

Comment

• the geek
                      • Jun 2003
                      • 1.1.x

Amiga ftw!!!
                      My Twitterings

Comment

• Vicros
                        • Dec 2007
                        • 3.8.x

I switched from Pc to Mac and i love it. I will never own another pc.
                        Pixel Playground
                        vB Skins.. Supplying Skins for the little guys....lol

Comment

• wii
                          • Sep 2000
                          • 3.8.x

Took another look at MacBooks yesterday, and I think I'm gonna do it - the display is fantastic, as a long time webdesigner I need color accuracy, and it seems MacBooks have better displays than most PC notebooks I have seen.

Comment

• Quillz
                            • Nov 2004
                            • 5.0.X

I love the build quality and aesthetics of Apple but the functionality of Windows.

Apple hardware running Windows... The best combo, in my opinion.
                            Forums

Comment

• Vicros
                              • Dec 2007
                              • 3.8.x

Apple can run windows. use the parallel's program or the boot camp program and you run each individually or side by side lol..MAC's are awesome.
                              Pixel Playground
                              vB Skins.. Supplying Skins for the little guys....lol

Comment

• wii
                                • Sep 2000
                                • 3.8.x

But how well does Windows run on Macs, is it totally comparable to a similar Windows PC, or are there performance differences? I read somewhere that the drivers for Macs are not the best.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...