X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sergio68
    • May 2002
    • 6.0.X

Originally posted by wii
    I'm planning a new laptop purchase, as a longtime PC user, I actually like Windows, but I love the hardware of the Macs, should I get one, and just use Bootcamp in case I need Windows stuff, or should I just get a new Windows laptop?

Let me read your thoughts about this,

Thanks
    If it's for the look, for the hardware, forget about it.

But the answer is YES, you should for the same reason I've used Mac in the past 5 years, IMHO you work more, more relaxed and you think less about all the crap (issues) that usually comes with the computers, believe me.
    Italian Body Building & Fitness : www.BodyWeb.com
    Italian unofficial support Forum : www.vBulletin.it

Comment

• dutchbb
      • Nov 2003
      • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
      I did years ago. Switched from Macs to PC and have never looked back.
      Personally I can not understand how anyone can think PC's feel better to work on than mac's, but I guess it all depends on your personal preferences and needs. The current line of mac's are of course a lot better than they were years ago, especially the macbooks. You really can't compare this with the current state of Apple computers.

Originally posted by Zachery
      Am I out of the loop? Is there something you can do on OSX with some OSX only graphic program that isnt there in windows?
      That's not why people prefer mac's, so this isn't even relevant. In fact if you like to play games a lot, I would rather recommend a (DIY) PC than a mac (reason: cheaper hardware and gamers like to build their own computers).
      Last edited by dutchbb; Sat 21 Nov '09, 3:30am.

Comment

• Sergio68
        • May 2002
        • 6.0.X

Originally posted by Floris
        Every game you can run on your PC, I can run on my Mac Pro and iMac. You can just dual boot to Win7 64bit and install the latest games.
        A lot of games can also run via vmware now, or crossover games, or even are ported over or coded for the Mac.
        I play CS:S for example in 1920x1200 on the iMac with almost all settings set to high under crossover games, getting 60 to 120fps.

Can you run windows games on a mac? yes,
        can you dual boot to windows on a mac? yes,

Can you run mac games on windows? no,
        can you dual boot to mac on windows? no,

In my book, you get more out of your Mac than your windows.

If linux works for you: get linux
        if you're happy with windows: stay with windows
        if you want a real computer, that looks good, behaves properly, improves your workflow and takes away all those windows only frustrations with 500 dialog and popup windows and constant attacks, sluggish performance due to anti trojan, virusses, etc, .. get a mac.

I have always used unix and windows, and since i got a mac i barely use either. I game on the 360 and my mac, and i vmware to windows for ie5.5 to 8 testing of web stuff, and that's it.
        100% mac convert, and not regretting it. it's worth the money.
        Well said.

Games? Consoles.
        Computers ? Mac
        Server? Linux.

That's it.

Comment

• Zachery
          Former vBulletin Support
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by dutchbb
          That's not why people prefer mac's, so this isn't even relevant. In fact if you like to play games a lot, I would rather recommend a (DIY) PC than a mac (reason: cheaper hardware and gamers like to build their own computers).
          Someone brought up that old "If I was going to do graphics I'll use a mac debate". Which is why I asked my question.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            vBulletin Technical Support Lead
            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Sergio68
            Games? Consoles.
            The games that I like to play do not exist on consoles or have poor facsimiles created. MMORPGs fail on consoles for the most part and that is what I play primarily. RTS games (Red Alert/Command & Conquer series, Spore, Sims, Starcraft, etc...) also pretty much fail on consoles. That is even if they make a console version which you would think would be easier now that Windows and the XBOX consoles share DirectX.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Sergio68
              • May 2002
              • 6.0.X

Fair enough, I have almost no time for games, a little bit on PS3 with COD Modern Warfare 2 and since I'm an optimistic guy I assume that you agree with the other two options

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                • Aug 2000

Fair enough, I have almost no time for games, a little bit on PS3 with COD Modern Warfare 2 and since I'm an optimistic guy I assume that you agree with the other two options
                Not especially. Don't like personally OSX. It is a very depressing operating system. It may work fine but the large gray headers on everything is very depressing. Hate iTunes and Safari on Windows for the same reason. They are simply ugly and depressing.

Linux is okay for server things but I actually prefer IIS simply because it has a GUI which again brings us to Windows. Yes, I know there are GUIs for Linux but they are never enabled for remote access. I've never liked using a command line. I can use CLI's but find they aren't very productive for me and I always have to look up commands, even if I have been using them for years. That is why I originally used Macs and then switched to Windows in the late 90s. I will say that my web server is Linux but it is a managed server so if I need something changed, anything changed, I drop the server guys an email and they change it. My local test server is IIS. My home network server is Windows Home Server.

Wayne Luke
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Sergio68
                  • May 2002
                  • 6.0.X

I personally find OSX very relaxing, basic, but as I said it's personal, on the other hand, I shouldn't say it but I like to work on my Linux server with VNC and command line either, a graphic approach is often more friendly.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                    • Aug 2000

I personally find OSX very relaxing, basic, but as I said it's personal, on the other hand, I shouldn't say it but I like to work on my Linux server with VNC and command line either, a graphic approach is often more friendly.
                    I really love my Hewlett Packards. Sleek black notebooks, stylish black monitors and towers. Great features, lots of storage and memory, and responsive touch screens. Love them.

Wayne Luke
                    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Floris
                      • Dec 2001

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                      I really love my Hewlett Packards. Sleek black notebooks, stylish black monitors and towers. Great features, lots of storage and memory, and responsive touch screens. Love them.
                      I had the change to play with one the other day, and was nicely impressed with how HP is still on top of things. Felt like a good machine.

Comment

• dutchbb
                        • Nov 2003
                        • 3.8.x

Grey depressing? Hmm..it's a good background color to make colorful icons and pictures stand out. It's easy on the eyes, professional, modern and cool. It's not like everything is grey (or black) in OSX, just the things that need to be neutral. IMO the blue in Windows 7 doesn't help the GUI, it's still a bit cluttered and rather confusing for most users.
                        Last edited by dutchbb; Sat 21 Nov '09, 12:09pm.

Comment

• Temptations
                          • Dec 2008
                          • 3.8.x

I got my MacBook just over a year ago. I am now planning to get an iMac with the i5 or i7. This is because I loved my MacBook so much I want a full desktop version to replace my current PC. I've been using Windows since I was 4 (I'm now 16) and ever since I first saw a Mac, I thought wow. It has made some tasks I do much easier and faster and the general interface suits me better.

I also love how there are next to no viruses on OS X and it is a more or less a headache free OS, not had one problem in the past 14 months on my MacBook where on my PC I have had 2 viruses, overheating, sound card playing up after installing new RAM.

Comment

• Razasharp
                            • Feb 2005
                            • 3.7.x

OS X is what an operating system should be like - that's why Windows and Linux try to rip it off whenever they can.

There's no way I would go back to windows now.
                            What's Special About Ruby on Rails?

Comment

• Ryan Ashbrook
                              • May 2003

Originally posted by Floris
                              I had the change to play with one the other day, and was nicely impressed with how HP is still on top of things. Felt like a good machine.
                              I don't use anything but HP anymore.

The HP Touchsmart is a very sexy computer, both in looks and specs.
                              Ryan Ashbrook - My Blog - My Twitter

Comment

• tommyxv
                                • Oct 2003

Saw a nice 13MBP with a 24" ACD combo with lots of extras on ebay. $800 off Retail.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...