• Dec 2001

Don't listen to Steve and the other Windows boiz

It's Mac OSX or bust!

Comment

• Wayne Luke
      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by wii
      the closest I've seen are the new HP Envy series, but they are actually more expensive than Macs.
      The Envy even has some of the most diehard mac enthusiasts drooling. Besides what isn't to like about the battery slice which gives up to 10 hours on a single charge?

Originally posted by Ryan Ashbrook
      You really shouldn't buy a computer based on how it looks though. =/
      Form is just as important as function for a lot of people. Especially for a laptop. Many Windows/Linux laptops are ugly bricks. If a company takes the time to build a good form, they are usually going to make it function as well.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Ryan Ashbrook
        • May 2003

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
        Form is just as important as function for a lot of people. Especially for a laptop. Many Windows/Linux laptops are ugly bricks. If a company takes the time to build a good form, they are usually going to make it function as well.
        True enough. But generally I look at specs first, then looks.
        Ryan Ashbrook - My Blog - My Twitter

Comment

• Zachery
          Former vBulletin Support
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by wii
          Can you elaborate on what you don't like about OSX? Maybe that could help me decide. Thanks
          Aside from the lack of gaming, I'm not really sure how to explain it. I use my laptop quite often, its great for travling, and i like OSX for what it does. Honestly the wireless in it is better than Vista/XP (haven't tried win7 wireless stuff yet). The battery life on my laptop is amazing, its also a lower end system. My gf's macbook pro's battery life well doesn't exsist, though that is mostly to due with having used it as a main machine. Perhaps its just that I'm using it everday. The keyboard configuration which i can change always irks me. The mouses don't seem to be as responsive and accurate in OSX by comparsion of Windows, though again this may just be me. Some of the functionality of the doc/windows manager just don't work how I want/expect it to. I'm not a huge fan of the OSX interface when it comes to chat based programs (irc, messengers). The whole drawer thing has always bothered me some.

/shrugs

It all comes down to personal prefrence, I prefer windows to OSX or Linux. Though I am familiar with all 3 and use OSX and Windows 7 in my daily life.

Comment

• wii
            • Sep 2000
            • 3.8.x

It's down to Macbook Pro 13" and HP Envy 13", I've already tried the Macbook, today I will take a look at the Envy 13 at the stores and see how it handles. The cool thing about the Mac is that I can always install Windows via Bootcamp, so I can have the best of both worlds, btw, where's the delete button on the Macbook? Seems strange that there's one in the external keyboard, but not on their laptops.

Comment

• Floris
              • Dec 2001

Every game you can run on your PC, I can run on my Mac Pro and iMac. You can just dual boot to Win7 64bit and install the latest games.
              A lot of games can also run via vmware now, or crossover games, or even are ported over or coded for the Mac.
              I play CS:S for example in 1920x1200 on the iMac with almost all settings set to high under crossover games, getting 60 to 120fps.

Can you run windows games on a mac? yes,
              can you dual boot to windows on a mac? yes,

Can you run mac games on windows? no,
              can you dual boot to mac on windows? no,

In my book, you get more out of your Mac than your windows.

If linux works for you: get linux
              if you're happy with windows: stay with windows
              if you want a real computer, that looks good, behaves properly, improves your workflow and takes away all those windows only frustrations with 500 dialog and popup windows and constant attacks, sluggish performance due to anti trojan, virusses, etc, .. get a mac.

I have always used unix and windows, and since i got a mac i barely use either. I game on the 360 and my mac, and i vmware to windows for ie5.5 to 8 testing of web stuff, and that's it.
              100% mac convert, and not regretting it. it's worth the money.

Comment

• Zachery
                Former vBulletin Support
                • Jul 2002

Can you run windows games on a mac hardware? yes,
                can you dual boot to windows on a mac? yes,

Can you run mac games on windows? no,
                can you dual boot to mac on windows? yes hackintosh ,
                Personally, I don't want to have to reboot every time I get the urge to play a game for 30 min.

Comment

• ManagerJosh
                  • Jun 2002

VMWare Fusion should solve that
                  ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                  Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• Ryan Ashbrook
                    • May 2003

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
                    VMWare Fusion should solve that
                    I think the point was, why have the need to boot into a separate operating system at all?

I'm not against Mac, but really if I want to play a game I don't want to have to go through an entire process just to start it. Should be just insert CD/DVD, click Start Game, and go.
                    Ryan Ashbrook - My Blog - My Twitter

Comment

• Yves R.
                      vBulletin QA
                      • Nov 2003
                      • 5.6.X

If I want to play some games, i'm using hardware designed for that use, video games.

Computer is for work, Mac is good for that

The only thing i miss is the Windows Explorer tree folders. Maybe they will do it in Finder for 10.7.

vBulletin QA - vBulletin Support French - Lead Project Tools developer

Next release? Soon(tm)

Comment

• VonDoom
                        • Dec 2008
                        • 3.8.x

Ill never buy anything that only comes in white. ive seen some nasty ugly looking Macs because they get dirty quick. and smoke will make it an ugly yellow. other then that bring on the Macs.

Comment

• dutchbb
                          • Nov 2003
                          • 3.8.x

Originally posted by wii
                          I'm planning a new laptop purchase, as a longtime PC user, I actually like Windows, but I love the hardware of the Macs, should I get one, and just use Bootcamp in case I need Windows stuff, or should I just get a new Windows laptop?

Let me read your thoughts about this,

Thanks
                          If you love the hardware, then you will adore the software All I can say to doubters is: just go for it, make the switch, you won't ever regret it.

Comment

• alexweber
                            • Nov 2009
                            • 3.8.x

I think the answer depends on your needs. If you need the computer to be cheaper, have a specific form factor or other features, then get a PC.

If you're willing to pay a bit of a premium, want to use OS X, are going to be doing primarily graphics work, and don't mind a few hardware limitations, then get a Mac.

my .02

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                              vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by dutchbb
                              All I can say to doubters is: just go for it, make the switch, you won't ever regret it.
                              I did years ago. Switched from Macs to PC and have never looked back.
                              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Zachery
                                Former vBulletin Support
                                • Jul 2002

Am I out of the loop? Is there something you can do on OSX with some OSX only graphic program that isnt there in windows?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...